PDA

View Full Version : Diffusing LED Pars

Silver Man
03-27-2012, 03:29 PM
I am doing lights and sound at my daughter's talent show. I am not doing anything real special and I can not come out any further than the front of the stage and I only have 2 feet in front of the curtain. My plan is to place 8 Blizzard Pucks across the front of the stage, 4 LED Rain 56's on T stands on each side right behind the curtain, 2 7' totums 2/3's the way back up stage with 2 pucks each, and then I will have 6 scanners throughout the stage with a Haze generator.

I am worried that the front pucks will be too close to the performers and will be too narrow. I have an idea of throwing some translucent paper on the fronts to help diffuse the light a little. The stage is about 50' wide. What are your thoughts?

Coronaoperator
03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Parchement paper available at the grocery store works well to soften the beams and spread them out a bit. If the led's run cool then wax paper should do the same (don't use wax paper on halogens, too hot).

For a much wider spread the clear plastic diffusers that are used for floresecent light covers in drop down ceilings work well. They look like little diamond patterns in clear acrylic. They are available in most building supply stores (home depot) in 2' x 4' sections. They are however tough to cut without cracking them. Maybe a fine tooth blade on a table saw or a dremel saw. They can be doubled up for a wider pattern and came standard equipment on my 250w color changers I have.

http://granmoresuspendedceilings.com/diffusers/prismatics.html

Synaxis
03-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Chauvet has this new thing as well that you can place over your Pucks:

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/60x1deg-color-blending-filter.html

Not only will it probably diffuse the light a bit, but it can also widen the angle for more of a wash, which itself will decrease overall brightness.

Silver Man
03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks, the wax paper and the florescent light covers are a great idea. I have about 2 dozen covers in my garage from old lights. I am excited to see how the come out. Will post pictures later.

BillESC
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Diffusion media is what you're looking for. It can widen the output of a beam or shape it into an oval. It is available for $ 7.25 for a sheet 20" x 24". Keep in mind, any diffusion media will reduce the output of the fixture.

Houdini823
07-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Bill what would you recommend to shape into an oval? I want the same effect of the Chauvet df60x1 narrow beam

BillESC
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
The Chauvet DF60x1 will not work for you as it will create an output of 60 degrees wide by 1 degree in height.

I'd suggest getting Apollo's Diffusion Media Kit which is a 12" x 12" sheet of each of the diffusion products they offer, this will allow you to experiment for find out which will accomplish the task. The Kit is $ 25 plus shipping.

Houdini823
07-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Email sent