PDA

View Full Version : Time to loose weight

Hanginon
12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Not me, my equipment!

I'm thinking of replacing my trustworthy Samson S1000 that I use on my subs. A real 340 watts @ 8 ohms. Great amp except it weighs 36 pounds.

Looking at a Peavey IPR2 2000. It's 8 pounds, so the equipment rack goes down 28 pounds, nice.

But wait, lets look at the specks -

Rated Watts 2ch x 8 ohms: 370 watts 20ms repetitive burst / 325 watts 1% THD / 300 watts 0.15% THD, both channels driven @ 1kHz

This is indicative of a collapsing power supply at low frequencies. What's the real power it can sustain at 40 Hz?

I am not picking on Peavey, I am sure it's good stuff. What I am picking on is the (almost) complete lack of accurate data in the so called "Pro Audio" industry so I can make a comparison. What happened to the good old 20-20KHZ, both channels driven, power rating?

End of rant.

On a happier note, I have really enjoyed these chats the past year here at DJForums. A healthy and Happy New Year to all.

b.ill
12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
From the manual:

20Hz - 20kHz 2ch x 8 ohms <0.15% @ 260 watts 20Hz to 10kHz, both channels driven.

Here's the manual:

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/118436_26187.pdf

Peavey is actually one of the better manufacturers when it comes to specs.

Hanginon
12-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

I went back and looked at Peavey's website, and that spec is not shown - just wanted to make sure I'm not going crazy!

Mea culpa, in the future I will look at the manual.

Unknown DJ
12-31-2014, 03:36 AM
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000

Solid amp for subs.

Hanginon
12-31-2014, 07:05 AM
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU3000

Solid amp for subs.

They had a demo model, even less expensive, still with a full 2 year warranty. Just bought it. Thanks.

light-o-matic
12-31-2014, 01:08 PM
There was a test showing that the inuke does deliver the promised power, or as close to promised as anyone, and that it's good for subs.. so you're all good there. Certainly it is more watts for the dollar than just about anyone. So, not trying to piss on your purchase, you'll prob be really happy.

But personally if I was looking for a low priced digital amp I would def choose the Peavey over the Behringer. The inuke has gotten dinged on sound quality in the high frequencies and on build quality. The IPR has not, and now they are on the IPR2's which look super nice. And I have not tried the DSP but hear it is more flexible on the IPR2... so in general a nicer more pro amp, more money yes but Peavey's always been a pretty respectable company and very good at making solid amps for the part time or lower level pros and serious amateurs. That's always been their niche. The NU is astounding priced for what you get but ultimately it is a disposable amp with "good for the price" compromises.

Unknown DJ
12-31-2014, 02:42 PM
I have heard more problems with the Peavey than the Behringer. Also a lot more people are using the Inukes.

light-o-matic
12-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, it's a great time to get into sound.. with so much to choose from with relatively low prices compared to the old days eh? :)
I would rather have the Peavey. Actually, would rather have got what I did get, which is a pile of used QSC's. But I'm not really into getting something known to have significantly lesser sound quality than what I already have, so if I was going to get some of these bang-for-buck amps (and who WOULDN'T want one, with these crazy power outputs at low prices) I really would not be willing to drop to the level of the inuke. For some people, I know the inuke are great. I also know there are people who would say they are actually better than the Peavey at a lower price, so for them it is an easy choice for the inuke. I'm not one of those people, so my choice would go to the Peavey, simple as that. Also prefer to support a company who I would rather have stick around as, my system being at the level that it's at, I'll much more likely want to buy a Crest amp in the future than a Behringer, so it behooves me to reward and support the guys who make the higher level products that I know I will need in the future.

Hanginon
12-31-2014, 03:46 PM
I will be using the NU3000 strictly as a bass amp (replacing my Samson S1000). The tops will still be powered by my Samson S700, a nice clean sounding Class A/B amp. Heavy, but not as bad as the S1000. Having both the S700 and the S1000 in the same road case was too heavy for frequent use.

The demo model was priced really good. I'll be fine with it even if I only get two years of use out of it - then if it breaks it will be turned into a paper weight (may not be heavy enough for that!!).:)

It will be here next week, and I have a gig the following Saturday, January 10th. If it's a real stinker, I'll let everyone know.

Incognito
12-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Great bass amp on a budget would be the PV IPR 7500, I've seen these things perform night in & night out under constant abuse while just purring along. While the the Behringer on the otherhand....

Hanginon
01-01-2015, 10:07 AM
While the the Behringer on the otherhand....

Is on vacation? Can withstand spilled drinks?? Can kick sand in the PV IPR's face???:)

DJ'ing at the beach. What a life!

Incognito
01-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'm against the bad practices displayed there but the point is that's not the only Behringer to have the same issues & there have also been many other amps that get used in even harsher conditions without issues.

b.ill
01-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I have both the Behringer Nu6000 and Peavey IPR2 7500 - both with DSP. Both have been solid and trouble free. There's no doubt which is the better sub amp though - the Peavey. But it should be since it cost twice as much and has more power (how much more power is debatable because of Behringer's sketchy specs).

The Behringer does an annoying thing when pushed to it's limits. Instead of just hitting the limiters and continuing on, it mutes itself for a few seconds. The Peavey does none of that and behaves as it should.

I'm on club systems a lot, but when I'm using my own the Peavey drives custom 21" subs and the Behringer is on JBL SRX 715 tops - where it does just fine. I don't use the iNuke for sub duty anymore.

Hanginon
01-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Well, here's the follow-up on the NU3000 after my first gig with it. For context, it replaced my Samson S1000 that was used to drive my pair of DIY 15" subs, 40 Hz to 125 HZ. I play for older people - Salsa, Merengue, Waltz, Foxtrot, as well as some Club and Latin Club music. Levels can get pretty loud - you can get a lot louder with good tuneful bass before people complain. We are not talking EDM here, but when I play Iggy Azalea's Fancy I want people to grab their drinks a little tighter.

First impression taking it out of the box is I got ripped off because they must have left parts out of it, it's so light.

Second impression is there was no difference in the sound (at all) between the two amps, listening to music I am very familiar with. The diet was successful.

light-o-matic
01-11-2015, 02:44 PM
The diet was successful.

:tup: