PDA

View Full Version : does Numark NS7 function as standalone mixer?

DJ Matt
03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
does Numark NS7 function as standalone mixer?

anyone?

getting a bit P***sed off with my denon mc6000 because the play button is already not working right after about 4 months

so just wondering ... should i get an NS7 instead? but if it doesnt double as a standalone mixer then im up shit creek if my laptop needs to be rebooted ....

Andrew B
03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
No, but the NS6 does.

DJ Boom Bap
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Actually, sort of......there is an Aux/Mic input, but no to be safe

DJ Matt
03-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Actually, sort of......there is an Aux/Mic input, but no to be safe

is that going through the software? or straight to the master

DJNR
03-27-2012, 02:53 AM
is that going through the software? or straight to the master

Likely the master.

KLH
03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
does Numark NS7 function as standalone mixer?
If by "standalone" you mean plugging the NS7 into a computer via USB, the computer running ITCH, and playing whatever you can load onto ITCH's decks... Yes, the NS7 functions as a "standalone" mixer.

-KLH

DJ Matt
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
If by "standalone" you mean plugging the NS7 into a computer via USB, the computer running ITCH, and playing whatever you can load onto ITCH's decks... Yes, the NS7 functions as a "standalone" mixer.

-KLH

actually what i mean by standalone mixer is

computer has a problemo, and i need to shut it down or turn off the DJ program, but i need music to keep me ticking over until i restart.......... so i have an iphone plugged into an input, press play on iphone..

for example, if there is a dodgy powerline and somebody hits against a plug or a cable, i may not lose sound, but i may lose controller functionality
this requires a restart of virtual DJ which i use at the moment.

currently i can do this with denon MC6000 without problems , i can continue to play music through it as a mixer, until the DJ program, or computer is ready to go again

can that be done with NS7 ?
for the money i would hope so !

DJ A.K.A
03-27-2012, 10:24 PM
it has an AUX input that in an "emergency" you could run another deck, or whatever you had into the 1/4 inch jack.... it is not ideal by ANY MEANS.. but would work in a pinch...

I have a NS7 and I LOVE it... but it is what it is as well...

-A.K.A

DJ Matt
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
it has an AUX input that in an "emergency" you could run another deck, or whatever you had into the 1/4 inch jack.... it is not ideal by ANY MEANS.. but would work in a pinch...

I have a NS7 and I LOVE it... but it is what it is as well...

-A.K.A

i got the Ns7 .and yep i like it a lot

but unless im totally mistaken that is actually NOT the case
the Aux goes through the software so there is in fact no backup at all in the case of an emergency

KLH
07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Actually, if the NS7 is not connected to a live computer, the Aux-IN/mic will route directly to the output...

EDIT: On the other side, if the NS7 is connected to a computer, ITCH has to run for the Aux-in/mic to route to the output.

-KLH

DJ Boom Bap
07-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I have used my ipod with the aux with no problems when I once had a freeze. Force closed, played Ipod, restarted itch, rocked on.

DJ Matt
07-11-2012, 02:18 AM
ah, i see that it does actually go direct to the output when the computer is not connected... but if the input knocks off once you connect your computer how can you keep the music going???

KLH
07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I planned to simply unplug the USB cable from either the computer or the NS7. When you do so, there's a <2 second silence while the NS7 switches modes. Same thing when you reconnect the NS7 back to the computer - BUT make sure ITCH is running when you do (or else there will be silence until you do).

I eventually reasoned that in an emergency this would hold up as two blips of silence (at <2 seconds each) is better than 5 minutes of silence to get an independent backup system going.

Of course, if you want seamless, then route the NS7 into a compact mixer (like a Mackie 402vlz3) that has your backup also connected.

-KLH

MeowMix
07-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Ehrm people lets differentiate between AUX through and standalone mixer.

When you say standalone mixer i expect to be able to use the gains and EQs to manipulate the sound.

What the NS7 has is an S4 like audio through which does not qualify as a standalone mixer like the MC6000, NS6 or VCI400 are.

If you are looking at it from the emergency perspective where you just need something playing out while restarting then, yea it will do.

DJ Matt
07-11-2012, 08:44 AM
The one I have has gains and eq on it
And the sound is ok also

I just don't understand why the didn't throw us a bone and allow a thru switch instead of making it automatically cut off when connect the computer

My problem is I use virtual dj 7
And Far as I know it does not pick up the controller unless the controller is already connected at the time of launching the program
So that's increasing those two seconds

That said , it's stable as a rock and I have never had this "emergency situation" happen to me yet (touch wood)
So perhaps those few seconds can be lived with, certainly not the end of the world