PDA

View Full Version : Hp Beats Laptop

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Hey guys I am looking at a few HP laptops since I can get a really good price through work for them. So the ones I am looking at is

HP 14" Beats Edition
Intel i5-2450M Dual Core Processor (2.5GHz) with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz
6GB Memory and 32GB mSATA + 500GB Hard Drive

Or

HP Envy 15"
Intel i7-2670QM Processor (2.20GHz) with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz
8GB Memory and 750GB Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

I was thinking the beats would possibly be a little better since it's more for audio but I haven't really messed with a envy or heard anything about it. I was thinking with the Beats I could use the 32GB mSATA drive as my music drive.

So I am torn between the two. I really don't want to get into "just get a mac" thread or trashing PC thread. Since I can get these through my work I figured why not since my current laptop really isn't anything special compared to these ones. Plus these ones run Intel and my current one is AMD and I have heard to run Intel since some programs don't really like AMD.

I hate to keep bringing up the laptop threads. I saw the one in the sticky and wanted to post to it asking this question but it is closed

:tup:

Sigma
03-26-2012, 06:53 PM
This won't help, lol, but what exactly is "Beats Audio" in terms of the actual technology? I've read a tiny bit about it, but nothing seems to say what it actually is so I would be concerned whether it's just a marketing term designed to convince people to pay a premium over other notebooks that may be just as good or better, especially as the company behind it is Monster.

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 06:58 PM
From what I have been reading is that the speakers are better and has built in subwoofer and has a "studio" quality sound card. I haven't messed with either of these laptops yet so I am not to sure on what all the beats audio laptop has to offer. I was just thinking that the beats would help but since I am not using the sound card and using the controllers internal card instead it wouldn't matter to much.

Sween
03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
The HP Beats edition IS an Envy... just a more expensive one with a gimmick.

Not only would I stay away from Beats, but I would stay away from HP.

Apple #1. Asus #2.

Synergy
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
the hp beats edition is an envy... Just a more expensive one with a gimmick.

Not only would i stay away from beats, but i would stay away from hp.

Apple #1. Apple #2

fixt!

Andrew B
03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Don't be silly. The second one is better in every (useful) way.

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Don't be silly. The second one is better in every (useful) way.

Thanks Andrew. The first answer that doesn't just say go to apple.

I am going with what my work offers for the deals and they don't offer apple so that's exactly why I didn't mention it so the apple is out of the question. They do offer Dells but I have read that Dells take more to get to run Dj programs smoothly but I read that a while ago.

Andrew B
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
The major advantage of the second one is the quad-core processor.

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 08:24 PM
The major advantage of the second one is the quad-core processor.

Oh ok so the core i5 is just a dual core then or is it offered in a quad also?

silentsounds
03-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I recall coming across the Envy line of laptops when I was looking for a desktop replacement a couple of years ago. One of the major issues I had with the line was that it seemed to be more about looking good as opposed to function. IIRC, it had some terribly placed vents and I recall reading about a lot of heat issues with it. I'd be careful with that line.

+1 on Asus.

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I recall coming across the Envy line of laptops when I was looking for a desktop replacement a couple of years ago. One of the major issues I had with the line was that it seemed to be more about looking good as opposed to function. IIRC, it had some terribly placed vents and I recall reading about a lot of heat issues with it. I'd be careful with that line.

+1 on Asus.

Wow that's crazy. I will look at others that they offer. I would love if they could do Apple but I doubt they will anytime soon even though there are some Apples here at work. Maybe I can talk to the boss and see if he can get something done with Apple. If not then I will just keep looking

Andrew B
03-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Oh ok so the core i5 is just a dual core then or is it offered in a quad also?

I don't know, I'm just going by the specs you posted. But yeah, that i5 is a dual, and the i7 is a quad.

B3NNY
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
IMO 1) Apple

distant 2nd) Proffesional business notebook (Toughbook,thinkpad,Elitebook,etc)

even more distant 3rd) Asus

DjAaron
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. If I can't do anything about getting the apple then it is probably going to be one of the above. I like the 15" envy but on HPs site it has some bad reviews but the 14" beat edition has great reviews. I was thinking maybe going to a 14" at the smallest for Dj'n but I have seen some do it with a 13". I am just thinking of space and being more portable if possible. Also I am not going to be doing a lot of gigs with it since I can't stand for long periods in one spot now.

Unknown DJ
03-28-2012, 08:57 PM
I had an HP Envy for a few weeks and was a really well built machine. The only downside was the beats audio. The speakers were 2 small slits in the front and had very low output. I had another HP laptop that cost $399 and had Altec lansing speakers. The sound was better and had a lot higher output.

ampnation
03-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Although I haven't done more than play with DJ software on it, I will 2nd the mention for ThinkPad. It used to be IBM and is now Lenovo, but it is pretty rugged. I spilled a beer on the keyboard with no lasting problems. I did take it apart a bit and clean. I was surprised how easy it was. The hinges are heavy duty. I just wish I had opted for a larger hard drive when I bought it. I wasn't planning originally to put my iTunes library on it. The ThinkVantage control center has some neat features too... the wireless network finder was advanced when I got it but I'm guessing most laptops have similar features now. The only thing I've replaced is the battery and it even knows I didn't use a Lenovo battery.

On my particular model, I do wish the headphone and mic jacks were on the side though... In the front just gets in the way too easily when I use them.

DjAaron
03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
I had an HP Envy for a few weeks and was a really well built machine. The only downside was the beats audio. The speakers were 2 small slits in the front and had very low output. I had another HP laptop that cost $399 and had Altec lansing speakers. The sound was better and had a lot higher output.

Nice to know the speakers aren't that great. I wasn't really concerned about them anyways since it will be hooked up to a mixer anyways most of the time. My current HP laptop I think the speakers suck but then again I am used to my desktop that has my jbl studio monitors on it lol.

Although I haven't done more than play with DJ software on it, I will 2nd the mention for ThinkPad. It used to be IBM and is now Lenovo, but it is pretty rugged. I spilled a beer on the keyboard with no lasting problems. I did take it apart a bit and clean. I was surprised how easy it was. The hinges are heavy duty. I just wish I had opted for a larger hard drive when I bought it. I wasn't planning originally to put my iTunes library on it. The ThinkVantage control center has some neat features too... the wireless network finder was advanced when I got it but I'm guessing most laptops have similar features now. The only thing I've replaced is the battery and it even knows I didn't use a Lenovo battery.

On my particular model, I do wish the headphone and mic jacks were on the side though... In the front just gets in the way too easily when I use them.

Wow that's really nice that the spill didn't hurt it. That is one tough laptop. If I can get one I will see what all the specs are on it. I have heard a lot of good things about lenovo and asus. My HP laptop hasn't failed me yet but I want something that is a upgrade from mine. I bought my laptop for $400 refubished and before that I had a compac that was a $500 one but now I figure spend the money and get one but without breaking my bank at the same time lol

Thanks for the replys guys!

B3NNY
03-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Wow that's really nice that the spill didn't hurt it. That is one tough laptop. If I can get one I will see what all the specs are on it. I have heard a lot of good things about lenovo and asus. My HP laptop hasn't failed me yet but I want something that is a upgrade from mine. I bought my laptop for $400 refubished and before that I had a compac that was a $500 one but now I figure spend the money and get one but without breaking my bank at the same time lol

Thanks for the replys guys!

It's not to uncommon for business proffesional laptops to be spill resistant. My elitebook actually has drainage holes in the bottom of the laptop, so if you were to spill a glass of water on the keyboard it would just drain thru. I know the older Thinkpads had that at one point too, not sure about the new ones.

DjAaron
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
It's not to uncommon for business proffesional laptops to be spill resistant. My elitebook actually has drainage holes in the bottom of the laptop, so if you were to spill a glass of water on the keyboard it would just drain thru. I know the older Thinkpads had that at one point too, not sure about the new ones.

Wow didn't know that about some laptops. I never really went in really deep on laptops and just bought what would run what I needed. I mainly focus on my desktop that I built and still trying to improve.

drzinc
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM
The ultrabooks are looking great! Acer Asus HP and Dell machines look great. And for Beats technology in anything its a marketing gimmick to sell to suckers.

Phil Noize
03-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Yeah, the new ones still have it. It's only on the ThinkPads though, it's not in other Lenovos like the IdeaPads.

Nicadraus
03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Both specs are more than enough for music production/gigging. But the "Beats" brand is simply a marketing strategy. Don't get fooled by it.

By the way, you mentioned 32gb? Or was that 320gb? 32gb isn't that too small for your music drive?

DjAaron
03-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Both specs are more than enough for music production/gigging. But the "Beats" brand is simply a marketing strategy. Don't get fooled by it.

By the way, you mentioned 32gb? Or was that 320gb? 32gb isn't that too small for your music drive?

Oh I know it's a marketing strategy. I am just looking at it because it is one that is offered by my work and the specs look really good. The specs say it has a 32gb mStata drive and a 500gb hard drive with 6gb memory. Not to sure what the mStata drive is for but it has it lol

DjAaron
04-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Also how well would a dell XPS work? I have read that some people have had issues with them but not sure about the new ones. I am looking at one that is a 14" core i7 dual core 2.8ghz with turbo boost up to 3.5ghz and 8gb ram

KLH
04-01-2012, 08:55 AM
This won't help, lol, but what exactly is "Beats Audio" in terms of the actual technology?
It's a proprietary EQ filter. It's the modern-day Dolby noise reduction - if you can remember that far back.

-KLH

Unknown DJ
04-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Oh I know it's a marketing strategy. I am just looking at it because it is one that is offered by my work and the specs look really good. The specs say it has a 32gb mStata drive and a 500gb hard drive with 6gb memory. Not to sure what the mStata drive is for but it has it lol

The msata drive is the boot drive. Makes your computer boot up really fast. Also makes any programs installed on it load up really fast. Great idea.

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
That's really cool. I am still debating to get it or a dell that they have. I am also trying to see if they can do anything to get any apple products

B.Frank
04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
If you plan on running traktor, I would stay away from Dell. Browse the NI forum and you'll see all the issues they've had with them.

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
oh wow that sucks. I guess I will go with the hp unless I can get the macbook

Lazerick
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Beats Audio is for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmp4R8FuCgc

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Beats Audio is for

I didn't say I was buying it for the beats audio that it has. Mainly because out of all the laptops my job offers it has the best specs. If I could get a mac I would but right now it's not a option

Lazerick
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I didn't say I was buying it for the beats audio that it has. Mainly because out of all the laptops my job offers it has the best specs. If I could get a mac I would but right now it's not a option

I am not one to abdicate getting a MAC, hell I have used a HP (DV4T) for years, you are right to buy it for the specs but i believe HP makes a laptop similar in specs to the beats audio for a better price. I will not buy another HP though because housing on the HP's to me feel very cheap, every time I pick up my laptop I think I'm going to crack it open.

Andrew B
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Again, the non-Beats Envy that you posted has better specs.

DjAaron
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I hear ya on that. My current HP feels like I will break it. Plus the track pad really sucks and I hear HP has issues with them big time

Rek_Aviles
04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
:shrug:

Out of the 2 you listed, the Envy seems to be the obvious buy, just for the i7 processor alone.

Only posted the differences of the 2, most important being 4 cores/8 threads.
Intel i7-2670QM
Cores: 4 ​cores
Number of Threads: 8
Cache/Smart Cache: 6 ​MB
Maximum Graphics Frequency: 1.​10 ​GHz

Intel i5-2450M
Cores: 2 ​cores
Number of Threads: 4
Cache/Smart Cache: 3 ​MB
Maximum Graphics Frequency: 1.​30 ​GHz

Again, the non-Beats Envy that you posted has better specs.

yep.

Lazerick
04-03-2012, 12:39 PM
:shrug:

Out of the 2 you listed, the Envy seems to be the obvious buy, just for the i7 processor alone.

Only posted the differences of the 2, most important being 4 cores/8 threads.
Intel i7-2670QM
Cores: 4 ​cores
Number of Threads: 8
Cache/Smart Cache: 6 ​MB
Maximum Graphics Frequency: 1.​10 ​GHz

Intel i5-2450M
Cores: 2 ​cores
Number of Threads: 4
Cache/Smart Cache: 3 ​MB
Maximum Graphics Frequency: 1.​30 ​GHz

yep.

Agreed!!!!

Original
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I currently have the Envy 14 with beats audio. It's a solid laptop, I got it because I needed something that was stronger than plastic but I didn't want to get another mac. There's literally nothing special about beats audio. It has some shitty laptop speakers that are "hip firing" (the sound blasts towards you which seems pointless) and that's it. I got mine for 650 new (it was like 800 but came with a free xbox 360 which I sold) and at 650 it's a great laptop. I use it for Ableton, Traktor and Serato itch. I also play games on it and use it for basically everything. It's got quite a bit of power.

People here like to say macs are better because they're more stable, but if you're not a dumbass windows computers can be just as stable. I haven't had a single issue with this laptop. I currently use windows 7 64 bit.

I'm going to be buying a desktop soon but I'm going to keep this laptop as my main music computer. I don't have any reason to get something else at this time.