PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues. Please HELP!

kipperj
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
A friend of mine gave me a Venue LED moonflower Model Number SRL-4129 (I think it came in an effects package or something?). Anyways, it doesn't work. He said if I could fix it, it's mine. It takes a 1A 125V fuse. I've gone through at least three of these so far. They blow after the thing flashes for about a second.

I was hoping someone may be able to assist me in determining what's wrong with the light. I know it's cheap, but it would be nice to know what to do in the future if any of my higher end lights have the same problem. At least a starting point or a place to look would be helpful. Thanks for reading.

Capt. Kirk
03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Well if you post up some pictures I would be more than able to help. Lord knows i have had to replace and rebuild tons of lights including some Venues. I would be willing to offer to repair the light for you if you are not up to it as long as you paid shipping and return as well as any parts that would be needed.

kipperj
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I'll start with the pictures. I don't want to end up spending more than it's worth just to fix it (I hope you understand). Is there anything in particular that I should capture?

kipperj
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72811555@N05/

Capt. Kirk
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
It all looks in good condition except for the transformer which looks rusted but that could just be the lighting. The boards all look good except for maybe the large capacitor with the yellow substance but that could also just be glue to help hold it in place. It is likely that one of the solder points has become messed up or needs to be redone. Unless you have good soldering skills I would not suggest attempting it. I fully understand not wanting to put more money into the light than it is worth especially if you can get others which is why If I found a part that needed replacing or what ever is needed I would contact you before getting it. Other than what I suggested or sending it to me I don't see how i can help any further as it all looks in order.

kipperj
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
The transformer looks melted. Where are you at in Ohio? I'm actually from PA so really it wouldn't be too bad to ship it out.

Capt. Kirk
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Troy, Ohio near Dayton.
PM me and I will get you my address. Currently because Venue is a new and (in my opinion) poorly managed company there is no way that I know of to get any parts from them though I still try from time to time, so if the transformer is indeed bad and it won't be just some soldering work I will let you know. I think I read someplace about rewiring transformers but I will have to look into that as it could be an option if it comes down to it.