PDA

View Full Version : When you get some $, your next purchase?

thehadgi
02-06-2012, 12:12 AM
What are you getting next once you save up some money to add to your setup?

I'm savin up for an mbox pro :D There is absolutely no reason I need something that powerful right now, but if I'm going to invest I might as well buy once cry once; I'll probably take advantage of all the channels later on. After that, savin up to buy back my moog voyager I had to give up after a short ownership :argh:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/images/products/MboxPro_Specs_800.jpg

Nick Bike
02-06-2012, 12:13 AM
full version of Ableton 8. still stuck on Live Intro...

mostapha
02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
My "buy" list, with no real time table for anything except "when I have money again."

Mackie Big Knob.
Laptop Stand for production desk (cooling)
Laptop Stand for DJ setup (out of horizontal space)
Production sound card…have a couple in mind…depends on money available whenever I decide to go.
Budget: Echo Audiofire 2 or Focusrite 2i2 (I doubt legit technical comparisons exist, and who cares at that price point?)
Legit: Echo Audiofire 12 (ABXs with Apogee Ensemble)
Nice: Motu 828mk2 FW (benchmarks above Apogee Ensemble in loop tests)
Motu ZBox
2 channels worth of preamps in this price range
Neve 1073 clones (GAP73)
Joe Meek ThreeQ
FMR RNMP
Analog Monophonic Synth (probably not both…need to hear them in person, though)
Arturia Minibrute
Moog Minitaur
A hardware VA Synth (depends on used availability, price, and sound)
Nord Rack 2
MS-2000BR
Radias-R
Virus C or TI
Hardware groove box (availability, money available)
MPC-1000
Electron Octatrack
Stereo set of compressors
UA 1176 replicas (or originals if I could find/afford them)
Slate Pro Audio Dragons

I'd also probably add Yamaha monitors if I could afford the 828 or actually built a heavily-hardware studio. Oh, and unfortunately my trial ran out and was slightly inconclusive, but I'm seriously debating whether to stick with Logic 9 or upgrade to Pro Tools 10.

B.Frank
02-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Haven't really dabbled in production yet, but I've had an mpd24 for forever. I've thought about picking up ableton intro or whichever one is $100 just to mess around with, but I'm kind of an NI fan boy so the Maschine caught my eye too. Decisions decisions.

DJ Watty
02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Hoping to grab a few Source Audio pedals and a Hot Hand. And I need monitors badly.

finalcoyote
02-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Monitors. Haven't decided what kind yet, but I'm dying for some quality ones.

Ver Jaina
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
almost immediately - headphone/earphone since my Sony earphones just died
in 2-3 months time after bonus & promotion - new cdjs
still in consideration - classic synth module like JP-8080, or Roland GAIA

John Veselsky
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Apogee duet 2 and a Yamaha HS 10W, other then that maybe selling the laptop and picking up a iMac or a hackintosh.

DJ Watty
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Apogee duet 2 and a Yamaha HS 10W, other then that maybe selling the laptop and picking up a iMac or a hackintosh.

What are you producing John? I am across the lake from you if you remember. If you ever need a cheap place to bang out some tracks let me know. I am converting a 6 car garage into a studio. The control room is all done and wired. No isolation rooms yet.

I got my iMac from Small Dog in Burlington. THey have, by far, the BEST customer service from any company I have ever dealt with!!

John Veselsky
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
What are you producing John? I am across the lake from you if you remember. If you ever need a cheap place to bang out some tracks let me know. I am converting a 6 car garage into a studio. The control room is all done and wired. No isolation rooms yet.

I got my iMac from Small Dog in Burlington. THey have, by far, the BEST customer service from any company I have ever dealt with!!

I'll be producing mainly Trance and a little house on the side. I'm currently learning the ins and outs of Logic and music theory, I've been blessed with a roommate that teaches piano and music theory so I'm putting 90% of my non-working hours into that.

Small dog is amazing as well, I may just go ahead and see what kind of deals they have this fall.

A six car garage?!! Damn! I'll have to come and visit soon. If you need any help I'll be glad to lay some hours into the project. We'll have to grab a beer some time soon as well.

Jason Cerna
02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
ipad2.

i've been using touchOSC on my iphone and it's pretty damn awesome. i've been busy making ableton live templates for both the iphone and ipad.

Skeyelab
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
First, Black Lion Audio mod to my 002.
After that, SSL X-Desk

thehadgi
02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Dang mostapha, that's a nice list :lol:

and @Ver Jaina, my vote is a moog or andromeda > gaia ;-)

finalcoyote
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Actually, I'm really intending on spending all of my money on moving to France next month. Although I'm splashing out for a new 50mm prime lens for my camera to take with me.
For the eight months I'm in France, DJF will be my only remaining connection to the DJ world!

Skeyelab
02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
For the eight months I'm in France, DJF will be my only remaining connection to the DJ world!

...because France has no DJ culture. /sarcasm

:)

mostapha
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Dang mostapha, that's a nice list :lol:

My plans changed.

I need to record a demo either today or tomorrow and I was getting noise with my current shitty interface (it was dying anyway…the preamp in it already dropped the whole "balanced" thing in favor of a DC offset and picking up radio stations). The 2i2 was the one that GC had in stock and cheap. It works and does direct hardware monitoring, which is all I needed. The inputs on the front are really annoying though. I also picked up 2 laptop stands because I was out.

After a burn-in, I'm thinking about selling the copy of Live Lite and the Scarlett plugin suite that came with it……see if I can get the total cost for the interace under $100. The last things I need right now are another copy of Live Lite and a plugin suite that I'll never use.

I still kinda want a big knob, but I think I'm done buying gear until I can decide on and find a hardware synth. Oh, and a desk.

the4thImpulse
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Im looking at getting into the modular world and will start off with the doepfer dark energy, but I just dont have the money to spend on fun gear right now :mad:

g-sep
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
1) Audio 8 to replace my Audio 4 so I can spin with 3-4 decks
2) CDJ 400 for deck C
3) New Ultrabook to replace my mbp

gr2daover
02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
gonna go and grab an apc-40 this week and maybe a keyboard to make things a little easier when messing with ableton.

punky
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I'll probably upgrade to Live 8 when they offer a discount again.

de.j.l
02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.dadalife.com/sausage-fattener-3/

mainstreamdjs
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
http://www.dadalife.com/sausage-fattener-3/

Best $29 youlll ever spend in your life when it comes to your studio. trust me

punky
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Iiiiiiinteresting.

login
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I got a machinedrum last year and while I enjoy it I find a PITA to record each part for final mixing.

So I am looking to seeling it, and later I gonna get an iPad and mess up with lemur.

Then my list of next purchases is this:

1.- Max4live
2.- Ableton Live Site (I only have the standar version)
3.- Aalto
4.- Reaktor - Razor

mostapha
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I really can't figure out what that thing does. I have other plugins that do harmonic distortion that I actually like.

mainstreamdjs
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I really can't figure out what that thing does. I have other plugins that do harmonic distortion that I actually like.

I use it only almost everything- I wouldnt use it as a saturator to create harmonic distortion because the color it adds is more grimey and much different than your typical exciter. Regardless, it's really good at what it says it does....fattening....and the thing is, if you want things to be bigger, you can make them big by not using it extensively. For instance, I can put the fattener on both a synth bassline and a synth stab. I can make the bassline fatter and give it a more grungy sound with the simple twist of two buttons (don't turn those buttons too much). Now I take the stab and literally want to make it a bit warmer and louder....I one or both buttons (under 10% most of the time). With some equing and other processing, you can make your mixdown nice and full by putting this vst on alot of different instruments. Again, the key is to use it slightly and not crank everything up. Sausage fattener is composed of a few different tools (compression, limiting, etc) and it really works well as a one stop shop. You can even throw it on the master after your limiter if you like and push up the fattening knob to like 3-5%. It makes a difference in level if you want.

mainstreamdjs
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Iiiiiiinteresting.

I always had to process my tools with mulitple plugins. Now, depending on what sound I want, I can use sausage fattener instead of using two or three different plugs including a compressor or saturator. Try it and youlll see what I mean.

thehadgi
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
^^ I want to hear how you've been using sausage fattener mate :)

Also, been thinking how I could incorporate one of these bad boys:

http://monome.org/image/gs64side-480.png

Mystic
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CKjEY.jpg
Roland TD-30KV

login
03-17-2012, 04:33 PM
What are you getting next once you save up some money to add to your setup?

I'm savin up for an mbox pro :D There is absolutely no reason I need something that powerful right now, but if I'm going to invest I might as well buy once cry once; I'll probably take advantage of all the channels later on. After that, savin up to buy back my moog voyager I had to give up after a short ownership :argh:

Go full ahead and get an RME, they are sweet :D

My wich list:

iPad
Upgrade ableton suite
Max4live
Reaktor, then Prism and Razor
The pan drum live pack, I love those hang drum sounds
Fabfilter plug ins (pro q, pro l, pro c, saturn, timeless, volcano, twin 2)
More sample packs from soniccouture

jazzyj
03-17-2012, 05:00 PM
- Sub
- crank tripods
- lasers, scanners
- facade
- backup tops
- cargo van :)

Dj_4-$hure
03-17-2012, 07:21 PM
full version of Ableton 8. still stuck on Live Intro...

Same here.

Tektonix
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Id like to add an Ipad, MPC Fly, Bitwig (when it comes out of course) and a Minitaur to add to my collection of moog items

windspeed36
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
I know it has absolutely nothing to do with production but I want another 16 MAC700 Spots and 8 more MAC700Washes as well as 16 MAC2000's :P

bumpyjonas
03-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Sony Headphones......

Quentin Legend
03-18-2012, 05:13 AM
- Controller (Denon MC6000 or something similar)
- iPad or Blackberry Playbook
- MBP or new Laptop

Divercity
03-18-2012, 05:31 AM
I have a long long long long long loooooonnnggg long list

Xzentric
03-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Equiment so far

Imac 3ghz
M-audio key rig 49
Traktor S2
Maschine
Logic pro
Reason 6
Recycle 2.2
Komplete 8 ultimate

Next on my wishlist....

Mixed in key
Traktor F1
And sylenth.

I think i will have to stop after them.

DJNR
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I really want to get some CDJs. I would like the 2000s, but I think the 900s fit my budget better.

windspeed36
03-18-2012, 03:18 PM
iPads aren't really all that expensive - I picked one of the new ones up - 4G 64GB with 8GB Internet allowance for $49 a month...

frandomeda
03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Possibly some subs

frandomeda
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
iPads aren't really all that expensive - I picked one of the new ones up - 4G 64GB with 8GB Internet allowance for $49 a month...

Where?

H.R. Smokinsh!t
03-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a hardware addiction. Next on the list, Korg MS2000BR synth and a MPC4000.

Scrap McNapps
03-18-2012, 08:05 PM
1. Most likely Gik Acoustic Panels (after I fix the leak).
2. Custom built computer with either an RME HDSPe AIO, RayDAT, or MADI
3. Desk.

thehadgi
03-29-2012, 12:23 AM
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8pe/

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8pe/images/p8pe_page.jpg

:love:

Going to go great with a Moog Voyager :eek3dance:

mostapha
03-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Prophets are gorgeous.

I'm actually basically happy with what I have right now. My next purchase is almost certainly going to be a hardware synth…though I might end up upgrading to Pro Tools 10 first. Logic is starting to really piss me off (shortcomings of the AU spec…plugins can't output MIDI, which means part of the way I want to use Maschine isn't possible) and I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with going back to Ableton Live in the interim. I might have to try it just because I never got around to selling my license.

Realistically, though, I just need to actually record something I'm the least bit happy with it and have the money to promote it.

Divercity
03-29-2012, 04:47 AM
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8pe/

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/p8pe/images/p8pe_page.jpg

:love:

Going to go great with a Moog Voyager :eek3dance:

Oh wow. Making me even more jealous. Dude, How do you get your money? Thats some decent kit there :blank:

thehadgi
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Haha no no once I get a job.... theennnn I'm gonna buy them :lol:

Divercity
03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Haha no no once I get a job.... theennnn I'm gonna buy them :lol:

For sure. Shame you had to get rid of the voyager....Nothing you can't replace though. Did you see the moogfoundation competition that they ran awhile back?

http://www.moogfoundation.org/2012/announcing-moogfest-voyager-and-moogfest-vip-package-winners/

Such a sexy synth signed by legends! What a prize!
http://www.moogfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/voyager1-590x3171.jpg

Btw, I had a play with the prophet at my mates music store the other day. Its a beast man. You will definitely have a blast!

Happy Trees
03-31-2012, 03:42 AM
Either a macbook or a PC that has some horsepower under the hood and won't shit the bed on me in the middle of doing something important.

Never gone to the dark side with Mac for that kind of thing, so we'll see how that works out.

Minksy
03-31-2012, 05:14 AM
Two (general) schools of thought on this subject! Thoughts?

wmsproductions
04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I think I am going to go with the Moog

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MOOSLIMPHATTY

thehadgi
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
one can nevernever go wrong with a moog product :]

thehadgi
04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I managed to flip my juno 106 for double what I paid for it, I have no idea why those synths are going for so much! they can't be really worth more than 450, but I suppose people are after that vintage sound even though there are better analogues out there for the price they're going for now :-O Still a great synth though, that chorus is beefy.

Anyways, fixing up another juno right now to sell to save up for my next synth purchase that I actually want to keep. Got my ears hooked on the virus ti2 polar... man that thing sounds awesome. Can't decide if I'll spring for that first, or a moog i want. Virus is going to much more of a workhorse in the studio, so I might go with that first, and then either a slim phatty or voyager for basses and whatnot. Start my first job in june, and it pays pretty well so I'm gonna have a hard time not spending everything i make the first 6 months heh

http://www.procom.no/media/catalog/product/cache/1//5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/v/i/virusti2polar-xlarge3.jpg

thehadgi
05-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Still have no $ after starting work :facepalm: but I've been eyeing out some synths once again as I'm getting tired of everything in the box

DJ-Veaux
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Ah money..........The hardest thing for a teenager to obtain :P

thehadgi
05-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Ah money..........The hardest thing for a teenager to obtain :P

Wait till you get to college ;) (if you go)

Sigma
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I dunno about next purchase, but my last purchase in audio production terms was this: -

http://i.imgur.com/ASE09lE.jpg

Nearly $800! It's a fucking awesome sound card though.

thehadgi
05-09-2013, 06:49 PM
I dunno about next purchase, but my last purchase in audio production terms was this: -

http://i.imgur.com/ASE09lE.jpg

Nearly $800! It's a fucking awesome sound card though.

How come you decided to go internal instead of external interface?

Mystic
05-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I'd love a new keyboard controller like the CME VX8, but one that actually works. :\

disparate
05-10-2013, 05:56 AM
I've been doing lots of overtime and working away from home lately and will probably bank most of it, but I've got to treat myself to something right?

Not sure yet, the brief is something with lots of buttons and/or knobs that will make composing a bit more fun and intuitive, and aids in the use of samples, for no more than a few hundred £. So maybe an Electribe ESX, or a Launchpad, or an APC, or Maschine, you get the idea...

jazzyj
05-10-2013, 08:35 AM
QSC K12P

Shure wireless mic

Elation light controller

and build a new diy facade

Sigma
05-10-2013, 11:43 AM
How come you decided to go internal instead of external interface?
I didn't need anything portable, plus it's one less box cluttering up the desk. I did consider an RME Babyface at one stage, but I went with an RME HDSPe AIO instead.

Clayton
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Think ima just get myself a few little things to plat with. Midifighter, maybe launchpad!

login
05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I am getting a Launchpad a a Minilab soon, then probably will save for an analog four.

CC Ricers
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Been years since I owned a production instrument, but I'd like to get those Korg Volca machines. They remind me a lot of the first-gen Electribes in their price, size, simplicity and ease of use.

Probably also want the Maschine Mikro MK2, but then I'd be tempted to just get the full version.

jazzyj
05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Wait till you get to college ;) (if you go)

wait til you're in your 30's, married, mortgage, etc.

if you go. lol

thehadgi
05-10-2013, 02:53 PM
wait til you're in your 30's, married, mortgage, etc.

if you go. lol

looks like it never gets better does it :P

jazzyj
05-10-2013, 02:57 PM
looks like it never gets better does it :P

Yes... when you're 80. everything is paid off, and you've figured out relationships fully. but now you're so f*cking old, you can't move or walk fast enough to do any of that stuff you wanted to do in your broke 18, 20's, or 30's lol

KLH
05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Shure wireless mic
Buy a line6 wireless mic. They're better.

I don't think that I need to buy any more equipment, but I could use a new laptop...

-KLH

Scrap McNapps
05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
RME HDSPe MADIFX

Antelope Orion32

EL Distressor

Fatso jr. or Overstayer Saturator