PDA

View Full Version : How to use Cue on a DJM?

Inferno
11-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey guys

I have a gig this evening and its my first time on 100% CDJ's and mixer, i know how to use the CDJ1000's and the DJM to an extent, however ive never had to use the cue function before on one.

I just wanted to check i understand it...

Basically from what i can tell to cue a track is as follows:
1. Main track is playing and fader is up full
2. Load next track into the other channel, with fader down
3. Press cue button on next track
4. Set headphone mix all the way over to cue (i dont need to hear the master to beat match, just to preview volume and starting point, all mixing will be crossfades)
5. Once satisfied with the Cue, de select the cue button on next track and raise fader, press play and move over cross fader at the right moment.
6. Drop volume fader on the previous track and load in next song, repeat cue process...

I just saw theres a cue button on the master but i assume i dont need that? and im also worried about accidentally blasting out a CUE track so wanted to be 100% comfortable with what im doing, cheers for any tips or corrections!

disparate
11-20-2014, 08:06 AM
That seems about right, the master cue turns on and off the function to be able to hear the master with the headphone mix knob which it seems you're happy enough not to use.

I'd love to be enlightened on the design decisions that went on there, between actually putting a cue master button there (surely if you don't want to hear the master you just turn the knob all the way to cue?) and the fact that the master volume in the cue is tied to the master volume slider. Some seriously questionable engineering.

Inferno
11-20-2014, 08:14 AM
That seems about right, the master cue turns on and off the function to be able to hear the master with the headphone mix knob which it seems you're happy enough not to use.

I'd love to be enlightened on the design decisions that went on there, between actually putting a cue master button there (surely if you don't want to hear the master you just turn the knob all the way to cue?) and the fact that the master volume in the cue is tied to the master volume slider. Some seriously questionable engineering.

yeah im used to the rane ttm57 and the kontrol z2, so basically, knob all the way to cue and fader down with the cue button lit lets me do my cueing, then cur button off and fader up to play it... simple enough!

ahad0001
12-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Great info.. i think you are doing well..

Veilless
01-05-2015, 11:20 PM
I would like to add a 3 things to this :)

One
Phrase matching.

Everyone knows beat matching is important. However, so many DeeJays don't think about another important timing/flow concept known as phrase matching.

Music is usually in 16 / 32 bar phrases. Try and line these phrases up perfect. (unless of course you are trying to be artsy fartsy or preparing to do some slam mixing)
Some songs have short 4 bar builds or little hick ups in the structure here and there. Prepare and know what songs do this. That is why knowing your tracks / artist is very important. Phase matching is a really important technique for efficiency and flow in a dj set.

Two
Watch the Bass Levels

Unless you are mixing on the break downs only you will need to also be watching/listening to the the bass levels on the tracks. You most likely will need to take out all or some of the bass from track two (incoming track) before you mix track 2 in with track 1 (Track currently playing). If the basses groove together perfectly then so be it, but most likely not..... So after you beat match track 2 in your headphones, reduce the bass levels on the eq of track 2 before mixing track 2 in. Find a point when the bass needs to switch over and bammmm switch the basses from track 1 to track 2.

Three
Volume fades vs Cross Fades

You don't have to use the cross fades when mixing. Especially if you are mixing with 4 decks. I just use the volume fades and eq when i mix, unless i am scratching then i bring in the cross fading techniques.

http://www.ItchyTastyRecords.com

Catch22
01-06-2015, 04:25 AM
I would like to add a 3 things to this :)

One
Phrase matching.

Everyone knows beat matching is important. However, so many DeeJays don't think about another important timing/flow concept known as phrase matching.

Music is usually in 16 / 32 bar phrases. Try and line these phrases up perfect. (unless of course you are trying to be artsy fartsy or preparing to do some slam mixing)
Some songs have short 4 bar builds or little hick ups in the structure here and there. Prepare and know what songs do this. That is why knowing your tracks / artist is very important. Phase matching is a really important technique for efficiency and flow in a dj set.

Two
Watch the Bass Levels

Unless you are mixing on the break downs only you will need to also be watching/listening to the the bass levels on the tracks. You most likely will need to take out all or some of the bass from track two (incoming track) before you mix track 2 in with track 1 (Track currently playing). If the basses groove together perfectly then so be it, but most likely not..... So after you beat match track 2 in your headphones, reduce the bass levels on the eq of track 2 before mixing track 2 in. Find a point when the bass needs to switch over and bammmm switch the basses from track 1 to track 2.

Three
Volume fades vs Cross Fades

You don't have to use the cross fades when mixing. Especially if you are mixing with 4 decks. I just use the volume fades and eq when i mix, unless i am scratching then i bring in the cross fading techniques.

http://www.ItchyTastyRecords.com

One. Okay

Two. Not most likely, you will.

Three. Okay.

light-o-matic
01-06-2015, 08:41 AM
When you are mixing with the crossfader, you don't NEED to raise and lower the channel faders. If a channel is set to "B" on its crossfader switch, and the crossfader is in the "A" (left) position, that channel will not come out the speakers.. regardless of the channel fader setting.

But it doesn't hurt.

Personally I don't use the crossfader at all, I leave it OFF on all channels and mix with the channel faders directly.