PDA

View Full Version : Any web designers on the Forums?

markos
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm in need of some very basic web help. I have a site that i am building in dreamweaver, and I am having container issues (assuming its the css). Anywhooo just need someone to take a look at some code for me, and give it a quick tweak or guide me on how to fix the issues.

Hit me up if you can! I use cross loops for system control so you can see everything on my screen from your own computer.

thanks!

moyo wilde
03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
there is a forum for this, the promotional art/graphic design forum, it'll probably get moved there.

markos
03-26-2012, 12:48 AM
there is a forum for this, the promotional art/graphic design forum, it'll probably get moved there.

ya i know, but it doesn't say anything about web design....:lol:

moyo wilde
03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
probably where they'd be though, there or ot i think there is a phot thread there, lots of those design types.

markos
03-26-2012, 01:36 AM
i know i know, i'll just let them move it rather then double post it.

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Post the section of code from both the CSS and html page. Try to narrow down the block of code, where the issue lies.

Look for the DIV or Parent DIV with said issue and post that here.

NickJames
03-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Can you upload it somewhere? I'd be happy to take a look but I'd rather not fudge around with remote viewing software to do it when "view-source" works perfectly fine... Either that or dump the HTML and CSS to pastebin and provide a link.

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
^ Doesn't sound like the site or page is live, as he's using DW and probably sees the error when in live view.

markos
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
^ Doesn't sound like the site or page is live, as he's using DW and probably sees the error when in live view.

its not an error. its just a container issue. having trouble lining things up with the main section and footer. I just put all the files onto my server from dreamweaver but can't seem to see the page when i punch in my domain. am i missing a step?

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
hmm.. Check the ext of the files. It should be HTML, HTM.

Also, if you took the code straight off dreamWeaver, you'll have to fix the urls to the css files. DW most likely makes File//C:.... but no you need to change them to however you put it on the site.

Or just remove everything abd leave the end, "file.css".

markos
03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Also, if you took the code straight off dreamWeaver, you'll have to fix the urls to the css files. DW most likely makes File//C:.... but no you need to change them to however you put it on the site.

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at www.humatronmusic.com Port 80"

this is what i get after i PUT dependent files to server.

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Maybe .htaccess problem??

Did you put the files in the ""public_html", "www" folder or something similar?

can you check the files you just uploaded and see if the names have been changed. Or at least confirm the ext of these files.

markos
03-26-2012, 11:40 AM

yeah the html page is .html and I have the .css as well

markos
03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
are you a dreamweaver user? can i maybe send you the site or something?

Claude Perdu
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Just .zip the files and upload them to something like Mediafire, maybe you could even attach it over here if it's not too big.

markos
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Here you go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cuvx01

here's my skype too: humatronmusic

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Just .zip the files and upload them to something like Mediafire, maybe you could even attach it over here if it's not too big.

that worked. :)

now, what is it supposed to look like?

markos
03-26-2012, 12:14 PM
that worked. :)

now, what is it supposed to look like?

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/humatronmusic/humatron2012.jpg

i'd like to change the social media links as i am unsure of the location.

and the main content on the page needs to be scrollable

Of course I am open to any design ideas you guys may have as well. please don't hesitate to recommend your expertise and feel free to use this on your portofilio :)

NickJames
03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Anyone that wants to see the site and pitch in, I uploaded it: http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron/

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
imfuckable.

:lol:

markos
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
imfuckable.

ahahahaha....i just saw that too :lol:

NickJames
03-26-2012, 12:27 PM
imfuckable.

Nowhere near the most offensive domain I own ;) LOL

markos
03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Nowhere near the most offensive domain I own ;) LOL

well glad you think humatron music is fuckable! lol

NickJames
03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I fixed it....

First:

In your html file get rid of all the CSS in the header and replace it with:

<link rel='stylesheet' id='main-css' href='humatronmusic.css' type='text/css' media='all' />

Second:

Find "#container #main #mainbanner" in the css file and add:

float: left;

#container #main #mainbanner
{
height: 308px;
width: 462px;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
}

Third:

Back in the html file find "<div id="podcastbanner"></div><!--end podcastbanner-->" and change it to:

<!-- <div id="podcastbanner"></div> -->

It's empty and fucking up your layout

Last:

Back in the CSS find "#container #main #content" and add

height: 514px;

#container #main #content
{
clear: right;
float: right;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
color: #000;
text-decoration: none;
background-color: #FFF;
overflow-y: scroll;
padding-right: 5px;
width: 472px;
height: 514px;
position: relative;
top: 0px;
}

Fixed version: http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron2/

Edit: oh and your footer is too tall but I didn't touch it.

Edit 2: Oh and right above "#container #main #podcastbanner" you're missing a closing bracket...

#container #footer #demos
{
height: 90px;
width: 280px;
clear: left;
#container #main #podcastbanner
{
margin-top: 20px;
}

Should be

#container #footer #demos
{
width: 280px;
clear: left;
}
#container #main #podcastbanner
{
margin-top: 20px;
}

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
quick work Nick :tup:

float left right and clear

IMO: no fixed height (height: 514px;) let it stretch with the txt, or break the verbiage and use Java to show page 1,2,3... to get rif of scroll bar in that DIV.

NickJames
03-26-2012, 12:46 PM
IMO: no fixed height (height: 514px;) let it stretch with the txt, or break the verbiage and use Java to show page 1,2,3... to get rif of scroll bar in that DIV.

I agree but a number of the elements are already fixed height and the footer covers the content box if it stretches past 514... Could convert the whole thing to dynamic height and fix the layering but figured I'd post the quick fix to the problem at hand not redo the entire thing properly... Fuck Dreamweaver by the way... LOL

markos
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice!

few questions: With the podcast div, I left that empty because I am going to be using soundclouds html player..will I have any layout issue's when i go to insert the code there?

Also, the footer, feel free to do what you can if you want...I couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing there....lol

Appreciate it!

Claude Perdu
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Also get rid of the line "height: 1000px" which is in #container {...}.

And don't know if it's Dreamweaver's fault, but there's loads of overspecification in there.

"#container #main #podcastbanner" should be just "#podcastbanner". No reason to make the CSS file look for #container and #main too since it's an ID and there's only one of it on the entire page.

markos
03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree but a number of the elements are already fixed height and the footer covers the content box if it stretches past 514... Could convert the whole thing to dynamic height and fix the layering but figured I'd post the quick fix to the problem at hand not redo the entire thing properly... Fuck Dreamweaver by the way... LOL

LOL...i know man. BTW I am in no rush with this, if you could do it properly that would be awesome. If its a lot of work let me know and i can through something your way.

markos
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Also get rid of the line "height: 1000px" which is in #container {...}.

And don't know if it's Dreamweaver's fault, but there's loads of overspecification in there.

"#container #main #podcastbanner" should be just "#podcastbanner". No reason to make the CSS file look for #container and #main too since it's an ID and there's only one of it on the entire page.

Dreamweaver automatically tags things this way when creating divs for each section. I'm fairly new to web design so left everything as is.

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

no, no.. those comments were for Markos. he still has work to do :P

and yah.. DW makes a freaking mess of things. Actually a lot of those types of programs do. :argh:

get used to using an editor and freehand the css. You'll easily learn how each element does to your site much quicker, speeding up any troubleshooting you will do.

markos
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
quick work Nick :tup:

float left right and clear

what do you mean by this? in the text area?

what would be proper? lol..

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 01:07 PM
what do you mean by this? in the text area?

would would be proper? lol..

lol yah,..

the txt area, it has a set height of 514px, but you have more than 514px of txt in that box, so the browser adds the scroll bar so you can scroll through it.

In regards to the Java, if you want to keep the fixed height of the site, use a jQuery pager, similar to this and split the txt into different pages...
http://d-scribe.de/webtools/jquery-pagination/demo/demo.htm

markos
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
lol yah,..

the txt area, it has a set height of 514px, but you have more than 514px of txt in that box, so the browser adds the scroll bar so you can scroll through it.

In regards to the Java, if you want to keep the fixed height of the site, use a jQuery pager, similar to this and split the txt into different pages...
http://d-scribe.de/webtools/jquery-pagination/demo/demo.htm

Ohhh okay....i understand.

but no we are getting into jquery.....uh oh :freak:

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Ohhh okay....i understand.

but no we are getting into jquery.....uh oh :freak:

its easier than messing with css, if you just use the ready-made scripts out there, but yah.. keep it simple for now.

markos
03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
its easier than messing with css, if you just use the ready-made scripts out there, but yah.. keep it simple for now.

i'm just looking for a nice clean layout that is easy to edit and show's everything that I designed in the jpeg i posted.

Still trying to work on the footer at the moment but can't seem to get things working....lol

anyway thanks for all your help so far, and if you are willing to help me code this properly that would be great!

NickJames
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
So I cleaned shit up a bit... Still not done but I'm working on it:

http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron3/index.php

The reason I changed it to PHP was so that I could template it... The index.php file looks like this:

<?php include("header.php"); ?>
<?php include("left.php"); ?>

<h1>Welcome</h1>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nam nibh. Nunc varius facilisis eros. Sed erat. In in velit quis arcu ornare laoreet. Curabitur adipiscing luctus massa. Integer ut purus ac augue commodo commodo. Nunc nec mi eu justo tempor consectetuer. Etiam vitae nisl. In dignissim lacus ut ante. Cras elit lectus, bibendum a, adipiscing vitae, commodo et, dui. Ut tincidunt tortor. Donec nonummy, enim in lacinia pulvinar, velit tellus scelerisque augue, ac posuere libero urna eget neque. Cras ipsum. Vestibulum pretium, lectus nec venenatis volutpat, purus lectus ultrices risus, a condimentum risus mi et quam. Pellentesque auctor fringilla neque. Duis eu massa ut lorem iaculis vestibulum. Maecenas facilisis elit sed justo. Quisque volutpat malesuada velit.</p>
<h1>News</h1>
<p>Nunc at velit quis lectus nonummy eleifend. Curabitur eros. Aenean ligula dolor, gravida auctor, auctor et, suscipit in, erat. Sed malesuada, enim ut congue pharetra, massa elit convallis pede, ornare scelerisque libero neque ut neque. In at libero. Curabitur molestie. Sed vel neque. Proin et dolor ac ipsum elementum malesuada. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit.Nunc at velit quis lectus nonummy eleifend. Curabitur eros. Aenean ligula dolor, gravida auctor, auctor et, suscipit in, erat. Sed malesuada, enim ut congue pharetra, massa elit convallis pede, ornare scelerisque libero neque ut neque. In at libero. Curabitur molestie. Sed vel neque. Proin et dolor ac ipsum elementum malesuada. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit.Nunc at velit quis lectus nonummy eleifend. Curabitur eros. Aenean ligula dolor, gravida auctor, auctor et, suscipit in, erat. Sed malesuada, enim ut congue pharetra, massa elit convallis pede, ornare scelerisque libero neque ut neque. In at libero. Curabitur molestie. Sed vel neque. Proin et dolor ac ipsum elementum malesuada. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit.Nunc at velit quis lectus nonummy eleifend. Curabitur eros. Aenean ligula dolor, gravida auctor, auctor et, suscipit in, erat. Sed malesuada, enim ut congue pharetra, massa elit convallis pede, ornare scelerisque libero neque ut neque. In at libero. Curabitur molestie. Sed vel neque. Proin et dolor ac ipsum elementum malesuada. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci. Donec hendrerit. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean sit amet arcu a turpis posuere pretium. Praesent id orci.</p>

<?php include("footer.php"); ?>

-----

That way if you want to diddle with the header for example, changing a single file changes all pages that call it... To make a new page you would just make mypage.php and add:

<?php include("header.php"); ?>
<?php include("left.php"); ?>

My Content here

<?php include("footer.php"); ?>

Giving you a page with "my content here" in the right column....

I also cleaned up the CSS and removed the fixed height: http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron3/humatronmusic.css

It's not completely cleaned up yet as there are still some redundant pieces but I'm working on it....

markos
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
amazing! can't thank you enough :teef:

keep me posted, i'll be around all night!

Rek_Aviles
03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
+REP Nick. :tup:

NickJames
03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Alrighty... Did as much as I can for now: http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron3/site.zip

- I suggest you download Notepad++ for editing the files http://notepad-plus-plus.org

- I added the following to the "index.php" file:

<?php
/* path to left-colum image 462x308 */
$leftimage = 'images/main_banner.jpg';
?>

If you use the index.php file as a template for your other pages, if you want to change the image in the left-column by page you can do it there.

- I did not create a template for a single-column page because I didn't know if you'd use it... If you want one let me know.

- I edited the site you provided, I did not start from scratch so some things I had to leave in place against my better judgement to avoid shit-tons of work :p

- If you have questions / need help just ask.

markos
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Alrighty... Did as much as I can for now: http://www.imfuckable.com/humatron3/site.zip

- I suggest you download Notepad++ for editing the files http://notepad-plus-plus.org

- I added the following to the "index.php" file:

<?php
/* path to left-colum image 462x308 */
$leftimage = 'images/main_banner.jpg';
?>

If you use the index.php file as a template for your other pages, if you want to change the image in the left-column by page you can do it there.

- I did not create a template for a single-column page because I didn't know if you'd use it... If you want one let me know.

- I edited the site you provided, I did not start from scratch so some things I had to leave in place against my better judgement to avoid shit-tons of work :p

- If you have questions / need help just ask.

You made my day Nick! Let me get to grips with this for now, and i'll be sure to hit you up with any questions I have. You really have saved me months of learning here, and I'm positive i'll pick things up quicker now the code is done to standards. So now i guess just put on the server?

Much appreciated and let me know if you'd like to be featured on the site once its up!

If this site doesn't work out, I may just hire you to do a new site for me. what is your going rate? I can send it to you in .psd and get you to code it up.

NickJames
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
You made my day Nick! Let me get to grips with this for now, and i'll be sure to hit you up with any questions I have. You really have saved me months of learning here, and I'm positive i'll pick things up quicker now the code is done to standards. So now i guess just put on the server?

I wouldn't say I did it to any particular standards (although it did pass W3C Verification :p) I just cleaned up what was there to something more manageable.

Much appreciated and let me know if you'd like to be featured on the site once its up!

Any time, and that's not necessary... Just helping out :)

If this site doesn't work out, I may just hire you to do a new site for me. what is your going rate? I can send it to you in .psd and get you to code it up.

Depends on the size of the project and the method I use... If it comes to it we can discuss it.

markos
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey Nick!

Once again thanks for your help. I actually found a nice template and imported it into dreamweaver and it is already set up!! I am just editing out some of the colours, and such to brand it with the colours I like. Will most likely need your help sorting a few differences out so let me know when your free!

Markos

markos
03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Okay sooooo!

Finally got this template where i want it to be, but I really need someones help getting all the pages sorted out for the site soooo please let me know if you can help out. I have a budget of slim to none so I am PRAYING someone can help me complete this project in return for some web space or something.

pm me your demands.

like i said everything is already finished on my end (html, css) i just need help finalizing for server upload

Let me know guys!

Playback
05-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Hit me up if you're still looking