PDA

View Full Version : Kontrol F1

Dj Slice
03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Thoughts on it?

DJNR
03-26-2012, 02:45 AM
The controller isn't out yet, so it is pretty hard to say. I think it is pretty cool, but I'm scared it will revolve around too much around aesthetics than actual functionality. However, if it is as solid as my X1, then I will have nothing to worry about. It should do pretty well in competing with the A&H K2.

It also allows for people to control the internal filter in Traktor, which is pretty cool considering I like the Xone filter in Traktor more than the filter on my DJM 900.

deejayjsin
03-26-2012, 03:41 AM
The controller isn't out yet, so it is pretty hard to say. I think it is pretty cool, but I'm scared it will revolve around too much around aesthetics than actual functionality. However, if it is as solid as my X1, then I will have nothing to worry about. It should do pretty well in competing with the A&H K2.

It also allows for people to control the internal filter in Traktor, which is pretty cool considering I like the Xone filter in Traktor more than the filter on my DJM 900.
Well said, I'm buying one on the release date and I really hope it's as solid as the X1.

mostapha
03-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I hate it. It seems like an extremely limited subset of the functionality that Ableton Live gives you with no added benefits except that Traktor is easier to learn than Live.

If it had come out in 2002 ish, it would have been revolutionary. If it had come out in 2006, it would have been on time. 6 years later, NI is still playing catch up for that side of DJing and relying on their marketing teem to convince people it isn't just a crappy imitation of Live Lite for people who don't want to spin full tracks with Live and can't beat match.

It will be a lot cheaper and easier to learn, though, so if you're willing to sacrifice power for savings in both time and money…that's valid.

KLH
03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
It seems like an extremely limited subset of the functionality that Ableton Live gives you with no added benefits except that Traktor is easier to learn than Live.
While I'm not a user of Ableton Live, I agree with this.

TP/TSP v2.5 will give you a "remix" deck that is comprised of four sample players with four banks each - giving a total of 16 samples to playback at any time. The samples can be tempo-matched, pitch-shifted and/or key-locked. Unfortunately, Traktor does not support flexible beat-grids (aka warping) - which will limit samples being loaded to being either one-shots, instruments, or loops at a constant BPM.

To this day, Torq's sampler seems to be the only one that can approach Ableton Live - because of it's flexible beat-grid technology (called tempo-anchors). It's still not equal to Live, but at least it comes closer than what TP/TSP v2.5 plans to offer.

When TP/TSP does warping/flexible beat-grids, then we'll talk. Until then, the "remix" deck is just a better sampler.

-KLH

Jason Cerna
03-26-2012, 11:02 AM
i'm getting it. i don't use live 8 for djing/performance, it is for my studio work.

mrkleen
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I have no opinion as I havent touched it yet.

DJNR
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Shiftee released an explanation video for what he was doing in the F1 video. I swear, this guy is what makes me want the product, both because I think he is awesome at what he does, but also because I hope it will make me funny like him :uhoh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWNoAaTJHw

TSPTutor
03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
It's a genius product however as previously mentioned its timing is a bit late.

For those who say its a lightweight version of ableton, this is very true, but you need to keep in mind that this is only the beginning. Native Instruments is going to be bringing a lot of elements of production and live "On The Fly" remixing to Traktor, and as someone who has seen a roadmap of what they are trying to accomplish I can say its pure genius.

Gjhowe1
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I think it has a function, but there have been other trigger pads that IMO already fill this niche. The Novation launch pad comes to mind or one of the Akai controllers. This just kind of looks like a stripped down version that has traktor branding to me. I don't know if this will be able to compete with the K2, as the K2 has a sound card and midi functionality rolled into one.

I like the idea of the remix deck in 2.5, but i feel there are controllers already out there that could accomplish this. However I will reserve final judgement until after i have a chance to test it out.