PDA

View Full Version : Semi-noobish question

DJTyres
03-25-2012, 03:45 PM
I have a sudo gig coming up.
I am going to be going during the breaks and at the end of the night at a concert at the largest club in my town.
Just trying to think what to play during the breaks. It's a rock band so I am trying to think of what I can work with.
I am an electro / progressive house dj by choice but in this case I'm stuck working with the crowd I have during the breaks.

After the show I am just going to do my regular stuff.
Just need some thoughts for the breaks for the band playing.

I was kinda thinking top 40 but not 100% sure.

My main issue and why I am over thinking this is it's my chance to get in at the club for residency and I tend to have a little too high standards for my self.

Andrew B
03-25-2012, 03:47 PM
What genre are the bands? You could always play something similar. What is the crowd usually like?

DJTyres
03-25-2012, 04:04 PM
The club it's self is a top 40 bar but sometimes on friday nights they bring it bands.
It's going to be rock

mostapha
03-26-2012, 07:40 AM
People would be expecting top40, then.

samga
03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
maybe find some mashups of older rock songs with new top40?

electricsmooth
03-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Maybe Top 40 rock?

mostapha
03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Also, what do you mean by rock? If it's closer to the industrial side then a selection of techno, breaks, darkwave, or some of the darker trance could go over very well. If it's like led zeppelin big sound rock, then all EDM is basically out. If it's like normal mainstream prep rock, then top40 works.

There's as much variation in "Rock" as there is in "Techno." In addition to having a specific meaning, it's the catch-all term for guitar-based small band music kinda like "Techno" is a lot of people's catch-all term for music made with computers.

DJTyres
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah probably going to do top 40 rock type thing for the breaks for close out it's going to be my people and a bit of a job interview. I spent last night at the club talking to staff and to customers who are close to the staff and regulars. Everyone wants progressive/electro house so I should be golden any other night, but I think your right by suggesting EDM is out for the breaks.

DJ Que Yi
03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
If you're breaking between the band then I would stay in the genre that the band and their crowd is acustomed to. Check with the band to make sure you don't play anything from their playlist. You don't want to clear their crowd out between breaks by switching the vibe.

epik1
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
I say stick with the same "sound" genre as the band (Indie rock, ska, or what have you). Maybe even play some "bad" music to make the band look better in contrast =P

Philhouse
03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
80's hair metal set!!!

DJTyres
04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up doing a mix of 80's/90's rock between the bands and went Electro to close out the night.
Went really well. Got me out side my comfort zone but really enjoyed it, more then I thought I would for sure!

Just for Philhouse I put in some 80's hair metal :)