PDA

View Full Version : CDJ-200 Doesn't Play VBR MP3s... How Can I Convert to CBR?

BurntToast
03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I have searched the hell out of this topic, both DJF and Google. Everything that comes up on Google is so outdated, and DJF doesn't seem to have specific info.

I got my gear on Thursday night and some of my files come up saying "VBR"... other times I get "E-8304" which is an MP3 decode error.

Any fairly quick and easy remedies or tips on burning my MP3 discs so I can play all of the files? I can't specifically find info on what will and won't play.

Andrew B
03-25-2012, 03:44 PM
You can't convert without losing sound quality. You could always burn as audio.

VBR is why I avoid buying from Amazon.

BurntToast
03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
I was hoping to burn as MP3 to save CDs and space, but I guess I can use audio for just the tracks that won't work

Andrew B
03-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I was hoping to burn as MP3 to save CDs and space, but I guess I can use audio for just the tracks that won't work

I always burn as audio because there are still places with CDJs that don't play mp3s. But I only like a few tracks per CD at most. I suppose while you're learning it doesn't really matter.

CC Ricers
03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up as well. I have a CDJ-200 on the way and it's good to know that piece of info, even though I plan to burn regular audio CDs nearly all the time.

However, it's not impossible to convert VBR to CBR without sacrificing data loss. All the VBR format really is, is a series of frames of variable size, and it is possible to just enlarge the frames without altering the original data.

There are some programs that can pad these frames with null data to convert to a full 320kbps CBR format (or a CBR with a bitrate matching the frames that hold the most data). MP3packer (http://www.ghacks.net/2009/02/15/mp3-packer/) has a function that does this.

Connor
03-25-2012, 08:22 PM
CDBurnerXP and K3B are two pieces of software I use to burn CDs, I burn MP3s as audio disks and they work fine on any CDJ I use.

Sigma
03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
You can't convert without losing sound quality.
You can. You can use MP3 Repacker which kinda pads out the bit rate to make the files CBR and with no quality loss. It's free too. Check it out: -

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32379

It wasn't designed for this particular purpose, but converting VBR to CBR losslessly is one of its features: -

Many people also use this backwards, to losslessly turn VBR into larger CBR files to humor players which can't handle VBR

EDIT - Sorry, didn't read the full thread. This is the same thing that CC Ricers was talking about above.

Andrew B
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I'm still not going to buy VBRs. :P