PDA

View Full Version : Serato with native support decks??

prODucer
03-25-2012, 09:38 AM
So I now use 2 technics 1200mk 2 turntables hooked up to an sl1 box which runs on a Mac mini. I want to add one or two more cd decks to my setup but I was wondering how these serato native support decks (ie CDJ 400, 850 or 900) work. Since they plug directly into my computer would I still need to upgrade to an sl3 to get 3 channel decks in serato? Or would plugging a deck like that into my computer automatically upgrade my serato to a 3 deck system? I guess my q is this: if I buy one or more native decks and want to use serato with them alongside my technics tables, do I need to upgrade to an sl3 or 4? Thanks.

prODucer
03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Also, I do have a 4 channel mixer so I'm not sure how that would work either? If a native deck plugs into the computer to control Ssl does it then also plug into a channel on my mixer too?

JuxtaPoser
03-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Serato outputs will always go from the Serato box to the mixer, regardless of how they're being controlled. Ie, if you want to have 4 channels, you will need a Serato box with 4 outputs (SL4) and a mixer with 4 inputs. The native support in HID mode on the newer CDJs simply means you don't need to connect the CDJs to your Serato box to control Serato - you still need to connect the Serato box to the mixer for each channel.

B.Frank
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm pretty sure the sound is still routed through the serato box, so you would still need an sl3 or sl4 to do that.

DJ_BLAKNITE
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Or just buy a rane 68

prODucer
03-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Ok...cool. Thanks for the info guys. That makes sense. Thought I could save myself some hassle and cash. Anyone want a mint sl1 system?