PDA

View Full Version : More of the same speakers??

Robdogg
03-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a pair of QSC k8's. I love the size factor and the sound quality and room coverage is amazing. I generally use them for ceremonys or smaller functions. They are always used with one or two of my hpr18's. Here is my question sometimes later in the evening I find myself running out of headroom with the k8's if I were to buy a second set would it physically be any louder I have the ability to run both sets on two speaker stands for large jobs I run Kw153's and k8's with 4 hpr18's. So I guess my question is would 4 k8's be noticeably louder than 2 or should I just use my bigger speakers?

DJ Riddims
03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
It will be about 6db louder. I don't think its worth it if you could simply use your Kw153s.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
So I guess my question is would 4 k8's be noticeably louder than 2 or should I just use my bigger speakers?
6dB louder, to be precise. For best results stack them vertically, the upper speaker upside down, placing the HF horns adjacent to each other.

Robdogg
03-25-2012, 12:39 PM
That's what I thought from research I had done. Honestly I love the size factor of the k8 but for the most part I find them to be undersized for the gigs I do. I'm looking into replacing them with a k12 for my backup 150 person or less functions. With subs I should be ok with k12's right up to 150 in a typical dance hall?? I'm trying to keep compact for my wedding setup seems to be the going trend with most brides I talk to.

ampnation
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
just to reinforce what Bill said, the K8 has a 105 degree horiz. dispersion so placing them side by side even splayed won't give good results. The K10 has 90 degree and the K12, 75 degree. Keep that in mind when choosing.

Bill Fitzmaurice
03-25-2012, 06:39 PM
The K10 has 90 degree and the K12, 75 degree. Those are nominal figures. In reality the dispersion of nearly all cabs ranges from 360 degrees in the lows to perhaps 40 degrees in the highs, and no speakers are immune to destructive interference when placed side by side, and splaying doesn't make things better, it makes them worse, extending the combing to lower frequencies.
http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/AudioStuff/audioStuff.html

ampnation
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Those are nominal figures. In reality the dispersion of nearly all cabs ranges from 360 degrees in the lows to perhaps 40 degrees in the highs, and no speakers are immune to destructive interference when placed side by side, and splaying doesn't make things better, it makes them worse, extending the combing to lower frequencies.
http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/AudioStuff/audioStuff.html
understood. it does give you an idea what the coverage is though.