PDA

View Full Version : Progressive techniques

bnr
10-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi guys.

I used to mix progressive house/trance quite regularly, but changed to deep/tech house over the past few years. My mixing changed with my change in genre is well. I started doing much quicker mixes - changing the song every 2-3 minutes and using cue points to keep things smooth.

I'm now getting back into prog house and trance since entering the trance tournament this year. I feel like changing the song and using cue points with this genre just doesn't work though. Intro-outro mixing seems to work the best, but I also get a bit bored doing that and i'm used to bringing in my songs a lot earlier, so i get a bit impatient sometimes.

What techniques would you guys recommend I look into? Are cue points a good or a bad idea? Do you use them?

Thanks for your help.

mostapha
10-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Back when I was spinning Trance, it was all A/B mixing. You can use cuepoints, but I only ever had luck with it to skip entire phrases. Also, switching between remixes of a song (at big structure changes) can work. I think I also layered entire minimal tracks over trance tracks at least a couple times.

Mostly, though, the work is done in production and playing the right track at the right time is what works best unless you've got stems and the ability/equipment to use them. But, that's just my opinion.

bnr
10-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Hmmm I guess you're right. Track selection is what makes a good trance mix really.

ChrisHynds
10-27-2014, 05:54 PM
This the main reason why I dont mix the melodic/commercial style Prog, its sooooooooooooooooo booooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg, some of the Shingo style stuff is beautiful but its, stand there for 7 minute, the tracks are all 128 anyway so you dont even beatmatch, just hit play and EQ, :P

mostapha
10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Idk, I still enjoy those sets. I spent some time at the anjunadeep stage at tomorrowworld, and it was a very very nice alternative to the Beatport top 10 over and over again everywhere else.

You do have to swallow your pride and not screw up the set, but it's worth it if that's what you're into.

ChrisHynds
10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Idk, I still enjoy those sets. I spent some time at the anjunadeep stage at tomorrowworld, and it was a very very nice alternative to the Beatport top 10 over and over again everywhere else.

You do have to swallow your pride and not screw up the set, but it's worth it if that's what you're into.

I enjoy them too, love listening to it but I just cant mix it, its too boring for me personally

mostapha
10-27-2014, 07:20 PM
I spin other things now, but I recall those times fondly. I don't do it in my bedroom, but if I found the right night, I'd do it again. There's something to be said for simple.

Electricoutlaw281
12-04-2014, 04:03 PM
It is all about those bassy tech house beats ��