PDA

View Full Version : What is between your computer and amp? Mixer, soundcard?

prof_fate
10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
When I was converting from CD to computer most of what I read said that an external soundcard was nearly mandatory for two reasons - better sound than just the headphone jack on a laptop but also so you could split the output and get the ability to preview (or cue) a track on headphones while another track played over the air to the crowd.

All soundcards hook up via USB as far as I know. I got a combo soundcard/mixer/controller that has a mic input and I can load, cue, start, pause tracks, mix, etc all from the hardware like a traditional CDJ mixer. Its a lower end Numark product.

Observiing other DJs at weddings I see none do this (software controller as Numark calls their device).
A few have a powered amp mixers or similar and the laptop functions little more than a CD player. I've seen a few (not many) that run two laptops (backup is nice!) or a phone or ipad or such into the mixer on a sep channel (in addition to PC and mic).

How do you do it, have you done it ways that are better or worse in the past?

Dix
10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Laptop, sound card, mixer, amp, speakers....

DJEcho
10-20-2014, 04:34 PM
USB out of the laptop into the controller (DDJ-SX) : from DDJ-SX to Behringer 16 channel mixer (Main Mix) : from Main Mix to DBX PA2 : from PA2 to speakers, and amps for subwoofers.

OR the cheaper lighterweight faster setup
audio jack into small peavey 6 channel pocket mixer (about the size of a spiral notebook) straight to speakers/sub amps, or through the PA2. whenever possible I try to go through the PA2 for control and better sound.

not sure what you guys are talking about when you say soundcard. being an IT dork, the only soundcard I've ever used was 10 years ago in a desktop PC because it wasn't built in. todays built in sound cards are pretty damn good. if that isn't what you are talking about I'm curious what benefits it gives

Dix
10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Sound Cards: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2010/11/6-budget-dj-sound-cards/

b.ill
10-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I got a combo soundcard/mixer/controller that has a mic input and I can load, cue, start, pause tracks, mix, etc all from the hardware like a traditional CDJ mixer. Its a lower end Numark product.

If I'm pure DJ that night this is how I do it with my Traktor S4 controller. No mixer. My mic, USB from computer, audio out cables to power amps or cabs are all routed through the controller. Nice and simple. Best sound quality.

Observiing other DJs at weddings I see none do this (software controller as Numark calls their device).

If I need other mics (like for a wedding or an upcoming Halloween party) I'll pull out a small Behringer mixer. That gives me far more control over mic levels and EQ. So it all depends on the gig.

oldschooldj
10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Laptop (VDJ 8) to controller to active speakers. For multiple mics or small live sound: Laptop to Mix Track Edge to Yamaha MG12XU mixer to active speakers.

DYM
10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Laptop > sound card > line mixer

iPhone cable aux > line mixer

Wireless mic > compressor/limiter/gate > line mixer

Line mixer > crossover > mains (powered speakers)

DJ Troy
10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
prof_fate,
Much like b.ill (and very similar to yourself), I use a Traktor S4 MkII for DJing, and if I need a more complex setup (multiple mics, additional inputs for PowerPoint presentations, videos, iPods, etc.) then I use a Mackie ProFX16 mixer (with the main outs from my S4 going into 2 channels of the Mackie, along with whatever additional sources).

The "DJs" you describe sound like they're using a combo of CD players, iPods/etc., and a laptop as individual sources, which can work, but is both harder and less easy/flexible than using a controller. Note that most DJ software has an internal mixer that CAN be used without a controller and output to the headphone jack, but, yes, you lose the ability to cue tracks in your headphones, and you're stuck using a mouse to start tracks and use the software crossfader, so while it's possible, it's FAR from optimal. It just tells me that they are either just starting out, or are content to remain "entry-level" DJs, using the most basic equipment possible.

I've done gigs in a similar manner before - usually at the last minute using someone else's stuff cobbled together because there was no time (or money) to get my own gear. Of course it can be done, but it SUCKS to have to work that way. I'm a professional, and so I take my gear and my performance seriously. It sounds like you do to, but not everyone does.

bumpyjonas
10-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Setup small gigs, Laptop->DDJ SX -> Allen Heath Zed 10 Mixer->Powerd Speakers

Setup large gigs, Laptop ->Rane 62 Mixer->CDJ 2000's->Powered Speakers

Unknown DJ
10-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Laptop DDJ SX speakers

Waterbeat
10-22-2014, 08:21 AM
I rarely go mobile, but when I do, it's Laptop w/Traktor > Audio 2DJ soundcard > DJM700 mixer > amp > speakers.

This way the configuration for mixing is near the same as in clubs. If mixing is appropriate I can do it on the mixer. There's a good mic input. There are extra channels to plug in CDJs/Ipods/or another laptop.

Kineada
10-22-2014, 02:27 PM
prof_fate,
Much like b.ill (and very similar to yourself), I use a Traktor S4 MkII for DJing, and if I need a more complex setup (multiple mics, additional inputs for PowerPoint presentations, videos, iPods, etc.) then I use a Mackie ProFX16 mixer (with the main outs from my S4 going into 2 channels of the Mackie, along with whatever additional sources).

The "DJs" you describe sound like they're using a combo of CD players, iPods/etc., and a laptop as individual sources, which can work, but is both harder and less easy/flexible than using a controller. Note that most DJ software has an internal mixer that CAN be used without a controller and output to the headphone jack, but, yes, you lose the ability to cue tracks in your headphones, and you're stuck using a mouse to start tracks and use the software crossfader, so while it's possible, it's FAR from optimal. It just tells me that they are either just starting out, or are content to remain "entry-level" DJs, using the most basic equipment possible.

I've done gigs in a similar manner before - usually at the last minute using someone else's stuff cobbled together because there was no time (or money) to get my own gear. Of course it can be done, but it SUCKS to have to work that way. I'm a professional, and so I take my gear and my performance seriously. It sounds like you do to, but not everyone does.

Why do you put the word DJ in quotes? I don't use a controller. I use a soundcard with audio routed to different channels on a mixer. I do crossfading and all adjustment to the sound as needed on the mixer. I can use the mouse or hotkeys on my keyboard to start tracks on my DJ software. I don't have to touch the software fader. I can preview tracks just fine on the mixer. Plus, if my laptop takes a dump, the whole setup is ready to accept any other audio sources I can throw at a regular mixer.

How does all this add up to me being only a DJ in quotes?

DJ Troy
10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
It doesn't at all. You're using a professional sound card and a mixer.

I'm talking about guys who "DJ" by playing an iPod playlist, or by using the internal sound card on their laptop (headphone jack output). To me, that isn't professional enough to call yourself a DJ.

(And, yes, at weddings and other events, I've had people bring me an iPod to play a certain song or even a short playlist for a ceremony - that's fine. I'm talking about the reception, with dancing and such.)

Kineada
10-23-2014, 09:04 AM
It doesn't at all. You're using a professional sound card and a mixer.

I'm talking about guys who "DJ" by playing an iPod playlist, or by using the internal sound card on their laptop (headphone jack output). To me, that isn't professional enough to call yourself a DJ.

(And, yes, at weddings and other events, I've had people bring me an iPod to play a certain song or even a short playlist for a ceremony - that's fine. I'm talking about the reception, with dancing and such.)

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the controller as the key element. My apologies.

ampnation
11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
DJ echo, the soundcard being referred to is also known as an audio interface. Most higher end controllers have one built in.
If you do a A/B test listening to audio directly from a laptop headphone jack vs. an external soundcard interface, you will hear a significant difference in audio quality. The soundcard interface bypasses the laptops, almost always, crappy soundcard.

robare99
11-06-2014, 10:38 AM
2 laptops, input for an iPod/ipad/phone - Studiolive 16.0.2 - crossover - powered subs, power amp and tops