PDA

View Full Version : DJ screw up story and others?

johnrigney73
10-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I wanted to share a story to help other's learn from my mistake. I've been djing weddings for close to 8 years and thought I was past the "you're gonna screw something up," stage. Nope. So I had a wedding at a barn and cocktail hour started at 5pm. I plugged the coordinates into the GPS and got there in a half an hour. I called the night before and spoke to a guy Steve who told me to come anytime to set up. When I got there, there was a guy and I said are you steve and he said no I'm chris my wife know's where you have to set up and he called her and she said which spot was mine (there were a few empty tables so wasn't sure which spot). Ok long story short I went home to shower and got a call from steve at 4:00pm. He said I set up in the wrong spot and I said we'll I can move to whatever table they need me to and he said no you don't understand you set up at the wrong barn! He then told me that his barn is two houses down (about 500 yards over the hill) and there is a dj trying to set up where I did for a wedding at that barn but my stuff is in the way. Steve later told me florists and other professionals have mixed up spots in the past to but never a dj. So I hauled a#% got there at 4:20 and with the help of the caterers from both barns I was able to start the music at 5:01. The dj at the other barn was pretty upset but I guess I can't blame him. So I just wanted to share this as some advice that I will definitely follow in the future... Always make sure to give the name of bride and groom to make sure you are at the right venue before you set up! Can anyone else relate or have any other horror stories?

Jimanee
10-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Funny, similar thing nearly happened at my second ever wedding, driving round the countryside following directions (pre sat nav days).
I saw a farm all decked out for a wedding.

It was near the right spot, I thought bingo.

My story differs at this point though, when the guy had the wrong name, I realized I had wrong venue :devil:

Still yours was a good story and welcome to the forums :tup:

TIMMBO
10-10-2014, 08:15 AM
My mother in laws 60th
My mates gear, rang him and said its okay to set up any time as the venue is open during the day.
For some reason he totally went to the wrong place in my town.

Went in , asked is this where carols 60th is been held tonight.
They said yes , you must be the dj

So all is good.
He walks into the room , sees all the 60th balloons set up (thinking this is the decorating we had done earlier in the day )

Anyhow the party starts at 7:30
I told him I would be there for 6:45.
Anyhow, he gets there and walks into the room to find all his gear moved!
He rings me then realising that he had set up in the wrong club.

Well with that we both managed to dismantle, remove and take to the right venue and then put back up in about 35 minutes. So luckily for us nobody was aware as most did not start arriving till 8pm.
All the family found it hilarious.

But what are the chances that the club he set up in was also holding a 60th for a lady called Carol. .

Went on to be a good night and no harm was done. Plus he was doing it for free so happy days.