PDA

View Full Version : active+passive

djhampos
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Hello guys

good to see djforums back on line

i have a situation ans i need opinions
i have a set with one active woofer QSC hpr15i and passive cabins with amplifier
is it ok if i send the signal from my mixer to the sub and then take the 100hz low cut exit of the sub to the amplifier and then to the tops?
or i must certainly purchase a crossover?

drzinc
03-24-2012, 03:21 PM
That will work but I like a crossover/dsp. Your way will need to have the sub close to you so not to run long signal cables to the sub and then back to your amp.

djhampos
03-25-2012, 12:39 PM
how long is long?
5 meters is ok?
do you suggest i connect the tops with the amp in the main out and the sub to the booth?
i know that the tops will play full range so will be the sub
i know its not how they menat to perofrm but which is better?

drzinc
03-25-2012, 12:47 PM
The way its meant to be done is: signal to sub, high pass output from sub to amp, amp to tops.

DJ Riddims
03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I remember having a setup similar to this for a short while. I use to send the signal from my mixer to my QSC via the xlr inputs and use the trs input on my QSC as an output. I not sure if this is a good idea but it worked.

ampnation
03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
OP, It'll work just fine and you don't need to worry about the length of balanced cables which is what you have going from the outputs on the HPR151i to your amp. You need to worry about the length of speaker cables e.g. TS 1/4", Speakon, banana plugs with 16 to 12 ga. speaker wire like you have running from your amp to your tops.

ampnation
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
how long is long? a couple of miles
5 meters is ok? absolutely
do you suggest i connect the tops with the amp in the main out and the sub to the booth? no
i know that the tops will play full range so will be the sub which is why you don't want to do that besides, booth outs are usually unbalanced
i know its not how they menat to perofrm but which is better? The original way you suggested is far better