PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Question

elctromn
03-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey guys-

So I'm thinking of purchasing some new studio monitors, the JBL 4328p in particular. There aren't many reviews of how full the bass sounds on these monitors, and I'm seeing that quite a few people buy the 4312 subwoofer in addition. For producing EDM and any sort of electronic music, would the sub addition be necessary?

Thanks for any help, as I don't want to buy something and realize it's not the right thing for me. If the 4328s aren't the best for me, any suggestions on monitors in the 1-2k range that you guys like?

elctromn
03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Bump.

markos
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
No review in the world will ever help you understand how a particular set of studio monitors sounds. Also everyones ears are different so what may sound good to one person may sound like complete garbage to another. Go to your local shop and test out different speakers. I recommend bringing some of your own beats with you so you get an idea of how things sound with familiar tracks.

A/B different speakers and talk to the sales guy. Go in with some research and questions and educate yourself a bit too so you can at least relate.

Also, you can get some fairly good speakers for A LOT least than a grand. What's more important than your monitors is your soundcard and if anything I would allocate more of your budget towards a good AD converter with high quality mic pre's.

Good luck!

elctromn
03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to head to a store when I can... The Genelec rep for the West Coast is gonna be at my house soon to balance our home theater system so I might have him help me out with some audio stuff as well.

markos
03-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to head to a store when I can... The Genelec rep for the West Coast is gonna be at my house soon to balance our home theater system so I might have him help me out with some audio stuff as well.

thast definetly a great start! ask him about the genelec studio monitor lines. their products are suppose to be top notch.

Skeyelab
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM

my money says he tries to sell you genelec monitors.

markos
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM

:lol:

elctromn
03-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Yeah but is that really a bad thing? haha... I feel like Genelecs aren't really in my price range.

Scrap McNapps
03-27-2012, 04:45 AM
You will have to listen to see if you like them. As far as adding a sub, it depends. It may help or make it worse depending on the room.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk