PDA

View Full Version : 'Christian' weddings...

Sween
03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Non-denominational Christians... The ones that like to sing and dance at mass. They seem to be in to Christian Rock and stuff...

I do not follow Christian pop or rock. Casting Crowns comes to mind. Also I think Skillet. I get Contemporary Christian on my Promo Only, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

What is popular? Is there any good dance stuff?

This wedding reception is actually in the church. (Not a 'church hall', it's in the actual church). It is a dry wedding (go figure), and they want some Christian music.

I am not looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, God might smite me down before I even push play.

Where's Neonpachyderm?

I have until May.

Mystic
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
There is a top 22 for Christian music every weekend. It has quite a bit of dance on it that will work well. There is actually quite a few options in all genres in Christian music.
http://www.topchristianhits.org/christian_top_40.html

Silver Man
03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Christian music can span all genres as well (more of a sub genres). One of the best things you can do is to find out what the bride and groom like. Get some of their favorite artists. That will help you get a good start. Some people are Skillet, Red, Pillar type fans, while others are Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Michael W. Smith type fans. Playing Skillet "Monster" may not be the cup of tea they are looking for. Once you have a basis on what they are looking for, it becomes easier to put it all together. This will help since they only want "some", by asking you can get what they want without having to go overboard into a new genre that you are not expecting to keep up in. If they give you some artists, then you can see what the top songs are by that artist currently by going to Amazon music and search by artist and then order by most popular.

Shay.ca
03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Thats a tough gig! Good luck, I would have passed. Hope you pull it off well. I just got an email for a 93rd birthday and they wanted a DJ to play 30,40,50's .... which I do not listen to or will never get.... needed to pass that one.

RodneyL
03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Non-denominational Christians... The ones that like to sing and dance at mass. They seem to be in to Christian Rock and stuff...

I do not follow Christian pop or rock. Casting Crowns comes to mind. Also I think Skillet. I get Contemporary Christian on my Promo Only, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

What is popular? Is there any good dance stuff?

This wedding reception is actually in the church. (Not a 'church hall', it's in the actual church). It is a dry wedding (go figure), and they want some Christian music.

I am not looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, God might smite me down before I even push play.

Where's Neonpachyderm?

I have until May.

I find 99% of faith based music intolerable, much less dance-able. There have been off-shoot Christian bands in the past that have gone main stream, like P.O.D. and Creed... but still... can you dance to that music?

Non-denominational is basically saying the don't belong to any specific sub group within Christianity. So they are not Catholic or Protestant, for example, which might work in your favor. A lot of churches in my area that promote themselves as non-denominational are the "younger" churches. The kind that attend Christian Rock concerts and like to fancy themselves to be a little more edgy than the "old folks" church. So maybe they will give you some breathing room?

I might suggest you recommend some of the best older style dance songs from the Top 200, like SHOUT and STAYIN ALIVE. This would appeal to all ages and still fall in to the wholesome category they might want in a church.... unless there is some kind of rule that ONLY Christian music can be played. If so, GOOD LUCK!

HAVE A NICE DAY!

(sorry, I couldn't resist.. who misses Dennis? lol)

Divercity
03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I would be way too tempted to play songs like this:

nGKPlUiDxGA

windspeed36
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I used to run sound for a a local church and they had like un under 28's service and a lot of the music was sorced from Hillsong/Hillsong United.....

Mystic
03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I find 99% of faith based music intolerable, much less dance-able. There have been off-shoot Christian bands in the past that have gone main stream, like P.O.D. and Creed... but still... can you dance to that music?
Sounds to me like you don't know much about Christian music. :P
There are literally a slew of bands in the mainstream right now that you probably don't even know are Christian. Plus, Christian market has it's own whole selection of pop which is just like the stuff you hear on the radio, only less vulgar and more faith based lyrics.

Now that I'm not on my phone:
There is literally a ton of Christian music to choose from with artists of all types of genres, so they really need to be much more specific on what they are looking for. As Silver said, you could play some Skillet because they are very well known, but the problem is that they are hard rock, so playing hard rock for a group of people who want something more pop or contemporary would not be a good choice.

I would ask what they are looking for and if they are wanting people to actually dance. I've actually seen receptions that want nothing but praise and worship music like Hillsong played and others that want classic/clean mainstream music played. Saying "Christian" is way too broad because the industry is filled with all genres just like the mainstream.

Here are some sites to help find what's hot right now:
http://www.weekend22.com/
http://www.20thecountdownmagazine.com/
http://www.billboard.com/charts/christian-songs#/charts/christian-songs
http://www.topchristianhits.org/christian_top_40.html

For older stuff... you can't go wrong really with stuff like Rebecca St. James, Sixpence None The Richer, Tree63, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Jeremy Camp, DC Talk (Jesus Freak is a good way to win most charismatic crows over), Casting Crowns, Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew, Chris Tomlin, MercyMe, The Afters, etc.

Dix
03-24-2012, 07:13 AM
I agree with a lot of what mystic said right there. Every time I come across this subject of clients wanting Christian music, one song comes to mind... "If I Could Only Imagine" By MercyMe. It has been popular for the last few years with pop & Christian events. While it was VERY popular when it came out, it is still popular & usually requested in these type sets.

But I would ask the client for suggestions & see if they do want dance music or just some "music". While I don't consider "If I Could Only Imagine" to be a dance-able song, it does get requested for these sets.
Also, I have found that most clients who tell you they want Christian music for their event, most tell me that as a basis for their music but are not hard core with it & do want some pop etc music mixed in for dancing. So, I would make it a point to ask if their Christian music is for the entire gig or is it just a basic format. If just basic, what other genre's are they wanting.

For what its worth, I too, will turn down gigs that are strictly Christian music as I don't know enough about it. But if they want a mix, I will do my best to accommodate them but with their help & I let them know that.

DJ Boom Bap
03-24-2012, 10:50 AM
My sister is a DJ for a Christian Radio Station, she does the week day morning shows. I'll ask her and have her make us a list off the top of her head.

jazzyj
03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I did a fun Christian music wedding last year. Was cool. I'll get you some artists name later after my gig tonite.

jazzyj
03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
http://db.tt/CoDcphWE

That should link you to a dropbox file of what the Christian bride gave me for a playlist last year. It's ugly but the info is there.

You'll see lotta regular artists in there too that are "ok" for Christian people.

The entire reception were members of her church/sunday school class, and even the preacher gave his thumbs up on the music during the reception. So these should be good :)

ampnation
03-24-2012, 12:21 PM
The one wedding I have done so far was a Christian wedding. In fact the bride and groom met while doing missionary work in Africa and both families went to the same church. I wasn't told I had to play only Christian music but was told, no rap, no profanity and no overt sexual references.

They also provided a lengthy list of songs as suggestions and many of them were songs I would have excluded for being too vulgar for what was requested. After further consultation, I found they were less conservative about it than I thought. I think it really boils down to getting to know their particular triggers...not all Christians in a single congregation agree on what is acceptable, let alone across denominations. I know they don't have a denomination per se, but they do have a culture.

Oddly enough, the only time I've been reprimanded for an inappropriate song, it was at a freethought event. I had been supplied a CD from one of the organizers. I was busy with sound stuff while it was playing and wasn't listening to lyrics. One of the other organizers came over in a rage wanting to know why I was playing a Christian song. LOL

Sween
03-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Okay so I just their paperwork... Sexy and I Know It... Party Rock... lots of Country... No Christian stuff listed. Maybe this will just be a normal gig.

Quentin Legend
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Tree63
MercyMe
Jesus Culture
Hillsong United
Casting Crowns

^--- Just some of the many Christian bands.

Dix
03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Okay so I just their paperwork... Sexy and I Know It... Party Rock... lots of Country... No Christian stuff listed. Maybe this will just be a normal gig.

That makes it alot easier.. Glad it worked out. Good luck :)

RodneyL
03-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Sounds to me like you don't know much about Christian music. :P
There are literally a slew of bands in the mainstream right now that you probably don't even know are Christian. Plus, Christian market has it's own whole selection of pop which is just like the stuff you hear on the radio, only less vulgar and more faith based lyrics.

While I may not be an expert in the matter of faith/worship/Christian music... I am familiar with most popular forms of it, especially the ones played on Christian radio (which is what more people are looking for when they ask for Christian music). I also have a several hundred faith songs in my database for when requests come. And I stand by my belief that most of it is not good for dancing... well except maybe the slower songs.

But to be fair, I have never done a reception inside a church. Maybe they will all be climbing the pews and praising the Holy Ghost because they feel the spirit? I'd be interested to see a short video from this gig with people dancing to an upbeat Christian song inside a Church... I will denounce my opinion and be swayed to your views.
http://gifsoup.com/view2/1892029/church-baby-o.gif

SEXY AND I KNOW IT in a church? LoL! "I've got PASSION (of the Christ) IN MY PANTS AND I AINT AFRAID TO SHOW IT!"

Sween
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
SEXY AND I KNOW IT in a church? LoL! "I've got PASSION (of the Christ) IN MY PANTS AND I AINT AFRAID TO SHOW IT!"

Not only that but she wants me to play it for the intro of the Ring Bearer and Flower Girl. Ages 3 and 9.

I told her the blessing better be good and forgive us all.

There are no pews in the church. There is a stage. It is a nondenominational community church... Its a multipurpose space.

RodneyL
03-26-2012, 11:43 AM
My daughter loves that song (she is 4). We make her say "Im Cutie And I Know It" instead when she sings it. On the other hand, my 6 yr old nephew is a bit of a hell raiser and sings "sexy and I know it" while pulling up his shirt and humping the air. His parents allow it. :freak:

MelodyMaker
03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Here is the list of christian wedding songs:

By Heart, By Soul – Avalon
You’ve Got Me – Steven Curtis Chapman
Give Me Forever ( I Do ) – John Tesh
Love Divine – Phil Keaggy
Love I Know, The – Joel Hanson
If That’s What It Takes – Clay Crosse
Jesus Let Us Come To Know You – Michael Card
I’m Committed To You – Steve Camp
Holding Hands – Steve Green

Anything Newsboys is pretty high energy and good for a dance. The lyrics of God Gave Me You (http://www.lyricsorbit.com/lyrics/dave_barnes/what_we_want_what_we_get/god_gave_me_you.html) by Dave Barnes is what you are looking for!

Windows 95
03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
but still... can you dance to that music?
Raze - In The Name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff0oP9ReplE

Come one, come on, come on, come on, come on
In the name of love

I wanna know how you feel
With a love that's so real
An example that we can all follow

You and the things that You do
Show the world that it's true
That Your love is more than a feeling

In the name of love
Get up, jump up, jump, everybody
Come on, get up givin' it up now
In the name of love
Get up, jump up, jump everybody
Livin' it up now

Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on
In the name of love (repeat 4x)

Now I want to tell someone
That You sent us Your Son
An example that we should all follow

You made a sacrifice
That the wisest of wise
Of this world could not understand

In the name of love
In the name of love
Livin' it up now

Hey, hey ho ooo (repeat 4x)

In the name of love
In the name of love
Livin' it up now

Kirk Franklin - Revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbD82fLP7yI

The book of revelations
Chapter 7, Verses 16 and 17
(Yes Sir)
'They shall hunger no more
Neither shall they thirst anymore'
(Preach, Preacher)

'For God shall wipe away
(Yes sir)
Every tear from there eye
(Yes sir)
Get ready for a revolution'
(Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on)
What you say, uh

(Whoa, whoa)
Do you want a revolution?
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

Sick and tired of my brothas killin' each other
Sick and tired of daddies leavin' babies with their mothers
To every man who wants to lay around and play around
Listen partner, you be man enough to stay around

Sick and tired of the church talkin' religion
And yet, they talk about each other, makin' decisions
No more racism, two-facism, no pollution, the solution?
A Revolution

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

No crime, no dying, politicians lying, everybody's trying
To make a dollar it makes me wanna holler
The way they do my life, they way they do my life

There's gonna be a brighter day, all your troubles will pass away
A revolution's comin', yes it's comin', comin'
Revolution's comin', yes it's comin', revolution's comin', comin'

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

Say, what you feelin'? What you want son?
Who you callin' to son? You know Jesus is the true son
The second in the trinity, I know you feelin' Him
Five hundred days left until the new millenium

You hearin' 'em, trumpets and the sky cracks
The last, the first the first, the last and won't pass
So don't be caught slippin' brotha, don't be trippin' brotha
'Cause when I see 'em brotha

Everywhere we go, we say we move too much, we do too much
And if you step against us then you lose too much
Ain't no stoppin' what we doin' when the spirit is movin'
Don't be hatin' what I'm doin', I'm the vessel He's usin'

Everywhere I be they try to judge me
They try to shake me, they try to budge me
But they can't break me, 'cause I'm down with Christ
Darkchild and Nu Nation, make ya feel alright[I]
[- From: http://www.elyrics.net -]

Where my east coast saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my west coast saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Detroit saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Dallas saints at?
(Whoop whoop)

Where my [Incomprehensible] saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my A T L saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Jersey saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

Oh, where my preachers at?
(With their hands up)
Where they got 'em
(Up, they got their hands up)

Oh, where my saints at?
(With their hands up)
Where they got 'em

Oh, where my folk at?
(With their hands up)
Where they got 'em

Oh, where my niggas at?
(With their hands up)
Where they got 'em

Oh, where my people at?
(With their hands up)
Oh c'mom

Oh, where the saints at?
(With their hands up)
Oh c'mon up

Oh, where my saints at?
(With their hands up)
Where they got 'em

Oh, where my folk at?
(With their hands up)
Oh c'mon

Where my D C saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Nashville saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Houston saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Tampa saints at?
(Whoop whoop)
Where my Fort Worth saints at?

All my real loud saints, throw your hands up
(With there hands up)
Throw your hands up, throw your hands up
(Up, they got there hands up)

All my real loud saints, throw your hands up
(With there hands up)
Throw your hands up, throw your hands up

All my real loud saints, lift your hands up
(With there hands up)
Lift your hands up, lift your hands up

All my real loud saints, lift your hands up
(With there hands up)
Lift your hands up, lift your hands up

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

(Whoa, whoa)
(Whoop whoop)
(Whoop whoop)

Whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa
Whoa, whoa

Houdini823
03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Mary Mary, Marvin Sap, Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams, Donnie McClarkin

They have a mix of slow and fast. If you spring in one of those during your lineup the response may be positive. Mary Mary-Get Up comes to mind. It made top 10 Billboard couple years ago.

Windows 95
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Christian Dubstep Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDopgE4PiAU

Tracklist:

1. Steppaholic - The Answer
2. Lecrae - Jesus Muzik (Karac Remix)
3. Chris C - Only Jesus (Graphite412 Remix)
4. Karac - Red Pill
5. Redline - Signs of Life
6. Traxione - Revenge of the Cookie Monster
7. Jackie Faraoui - Revolution
8. Traxione - The Chiropractor
9. Redline - Tower
10. Traxione - Red Snare
11. Redline - Altered States
12. Traxione - The Butcher Shop
13. Traxione - Rapture
14. Redline feat. Downlink - Magniloquent
15. Jon Thurlow feat. Keri Veenendaal - Take Your Place (Matthew J. Bentley Remix)
16. Wavedude - The Alter Call

Christian Dubstep Mix 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBZOga2wz00

Tracklist:

1. Graphite412 - He Gave His Life [Genre: Dronestep]
2. Matthew Parker - Just as He Promised
3. Josiah Kramer - They Ain't Got a Pill
4. Noadja - Ready to Run (Acid Regulation Remix)
5. Oiwolf - Love is the Power
6. Onnyx - Halleluyah
7. Heartforged - Salvation
8. Sauce - Children of Television
9. Oiwolf feat. Lauren Irving - Love Is
10. Josiah Kramer - Love Will Prevail
11. Genesys feat. UndrSkor - Whispering
12. Sauce - Psalm 23
13. T-Haddy - Peace Be Still (Sauce's Dunamis Revelation)
14. Spek. Trum - Crossroads (JIR3H-3 Remix)
15. Graphite412 - Offering [Genre: Dronestep]

Unknown DJ
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Seems like what ever is popular in top 4o there is a Christian knock off version of it.

Windows 95
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Seems like what ever is popular in top 4o there is a Christian knock off version of it.Correct & that has always been the case.

Drewbdo
03-18-2013, 07:40 AM
... my 6 yr old nephew is a bit of a hell raiser and sings "sexy and I know it" while pulling up his shirt and humping the air. His parents allow it. :freak:

Sorry, this is off-topic, but ^^^ could explain the behavior of 80%+ of the students at the prom I did Saturday night.

It was the first school event I have done in over a decade. I DJ'd the pre-dance portion, while the parents were waiting for the Senior Walk, and I supplied the sound system and lighting. A former student of the school, who graduated last year, was the "Official DJ" of the dance portion (with his music straight from YouTube ... it sounded FABULOUS on my system :blank:).

Aside from the age of the dancers, and the (apparent) lack of alcohol, I thought I was in a bar.

When the other DJ started his set, I told the Principal, "Um... I didn't think we could play this kind of music at a school dance."

2 Chainz, Trey Songs, Rick Ross, etc... "Clean"-ish versions... the lyrics may have been censored, but the "drug, drank, and dropkick a ho" subject matter wasn't... Bandz a make her dance, Bugatti, Rack City, Ni**az in Paris, Birthday Cake, Strip, were some of the songs played.

The Principal said, "They won't dance to anything else. I just try to keep the girls from putting their hands on the floor (while they are grinding their date)." So, as long as she only put her hands on her knees or shins... :eek:

The boys had their cell phones out, videoing their "lap dances". :hump:

My, times have changed. Then again, if they start at 6 years old, by the time they get to Prom, they've had ten years of practice.

JBEntertains
03-20-2013, 10:54 AM
As someone who has worked in Christian radio for over 10 years... there is nothing remotely familiar enough to dance to.

Except maybe Stomp by Kirk Franklin. And any kind of christian urban or hip-hop is mostly regional.

Dancing is still largely about familiarity. If they don't know it, they don't dance to it.... period.

I pass on "christian" weddings. Too many headaches.

I wouldn't call christian artists or songs "knock-offs" of Top 40. Mainstream writers and producers just make better "hits".

DJMC
03-20-2013, 11:55 AM
As someone who has worked in Christian radio for over 10 years... there is nothing remotely familiar enough to dance to.

Except maybe Stomp by Kirk Franklin. And any kind of christian urban or hip-hop is mostly regional.

Dancing is still largely about familiarity. If they don't know it, they don't dance to it.... period.

I pass on "christian" weddings. Too many headaches.

I wouldn't call christian artists or songs "knock-offs" of Top 40. Mainstream writers and producers just make better "hits".

Ditto what that guy said ^^^