PDA

View Full Version : Kontrol X1

Dj Slice
03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Im thinking about purchasing the Kontrol X1. Anybody have any experience with it ? Is it worth buying ?

alazydj
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Are you using Traktor or Scratch Live? Do you have other MIDI controllers? Are you big into effects or do you just need something for cues? Are you trying to DJ with just a controller?

It's a great controller...but depending on what you use/need a MIDI controller for, there are alternatives.

Dj Slice
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
I have a Numark Mixdeck and Traktor Pro 2, but theres simply not enough buttons on the Mixdeck. I need extra buttons to map the sample decks to. But I don't know how the set up would work because the Mixdeck only has a 2 channel soundcard??

Are you using Traktor or Scratch Live? Do you have other MIDI controllers? Are you big into effects or do you just need something for cues? Are you trying to DJ with just a controller?

It's a great controller...but depending on what you use/need a MIDI controller for, there are alternatives.

alazydj
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, there a couple of options I would suggest:

1) Reconsider your "need" for sample decks.

2) Reinvest (save cash+sell the Numark) in gear such as the Kontrol S4, Vestax VCI-400

3) Look into the Allen&Heath Xone:K2...it's a very versatile controller that looks like it will be more than able to handle the new Traktor Pro 2.5 Remix decks

Dj Slice
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
So is there no way to pair the Mixdeck with a X1?

Well, there a couple of options I would suggest:

1) Reconsider your "need" for sample decks.

2) Reinvest (save cash+sell the Numark) in gear such as the Kontrol S4, Vestax VCI-400

3) Look into the Allen&Heath Xone:K2...it's a very versatile controller that looks like it will be more than able to handle the new Traktor Pro 2.5 Remix decks

alazydj
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
There is 100%...you have to sacrifice one of your decks for a sample deck (or both decks if you want).

But again, WHY do you need sample decks? If have a clear reason for this, you'll know if the Kontrol X1 is worth it.

Dj Slice
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Well if I were to get a X1 cant I map the Sample Decks to that and have Deck A and B on the Mixdeck

There is 100%...you have to sacrifice one of your decks for a sample deck (or both decks if you want).

But again, WHY do you need sample decks? If have a clear reason for this, you'll know if the Kontrol X1 is worth it.

alazydj
03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes. But if you only have two channels/faders on the Mixdeck, you have to get a little creative to have all four Traktor channels to play at once. I'm a Serato guy, so my MIDI knowledge is limiting...that being said, I know that the preference menu in Traktor lets you change a channel from sample mode to normal deck. Try mapping a button to switch between the modes if possible.

DJNR
03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes. But if you only have two channels/faders on the Mixdeck, you have to get a little creative to have all four Traktor channels to play at once. I'm a Serato guy, so my MIDI knowledge is limiting...that being said, I know that the preference menu in Traktor lets you change a channel from sample mode to normal deck. Try mapping a button to switch between the modes if possible.

It doesn't matter whether he has only two channels on the mixdeck. This may only be compatible with an NI only soundcard, but you can route audio through A and B from decks C and D

1) The X1 is an awesome controller. I got mine a couple weeks back and I was really impressed with the build quality and the overall functionality. NI even gives you multiple mappings so if you don't like the mapping it comes with, you can always change it. Similarly, you can map it yourself if you so choose. I really like the knobs on the controller that allow you to navigate the screen really easily.

2) I believe that it is totally worth buying the X1 and using the sample decks if that's what you want to do. To do this, enable decks C+D in the preferences, then make sure that both are sample decks. Get them the size you want (Full, Mini, or Micro) and then go to your output routing settings. I don't know how it looks on the mixtrack, but you want to route the audio from decks C and D through decks A and B. Once you do that, you can have sound coming out of A and B from C and D.

Take a screen shot of your input and output settings and I can help you set it up :)

Finnish_Fox
03-23-2012, 02:32 PM
It doesn't matter whether he has only two channels on the mixdeck. This may only be compatible with an NI only soundcard, but you can route audio through A and B from decks C and D

1) The X1 is an awesome controller. I got mine a couple weeks back and I was really impressed with the build quality and the overall functionality. NI even gives you multiple mappings so if you don't like the mapping it comes with, you can always change it. Similarly, you can map it yourself if you so choose. I really like the knobs on the controller that allow you to navigate the screen really easily.

2) I believe that it is totally worth buying the X1 and using the sample decks if that's what you want to do. To do this, enable decks C+D in the preferences, then make sure that both are sample decks. Get them the size you want (Full, Mini, or Micro) and then go to your output routing settings. I don't know how it looks on the mixtrack, but you want to route the audio from decks C and D through decks A and B. Once you do that, you can have sound coming out of A and B from C and D.

Take a screen shot of your input and output settings and I can help you set it up :)

Got one a bit ago, plan to use it along with my CDJs as HID controller from TP2.

sss18734
03-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't see what the problem with playing 4 channels is. If you're routing it through the mixdeck internally, there is only one Master out that play all channels/samples... no creativity needed. You're using TP right?

As far as the X1 goes, yes you can hook it up similtaneously with the mixdeck. It's a great little controller for cheap, and the buttons and knobs are top-notch. Very responsive and provide excellent tactile feedback.

Dj Slice
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM
/......

Dj Slice
03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Mixing Mode: External

Output
Deck A: 1: Out 1
2: Out 2
Deck B: 3: Out 3
4: Out 4
Deck C: 1: Out 1
2: Out 2
Deck D: 3: Out 3
4: Out 4