PDA

View Full Version : 1st gig question

Mike_Easy
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Looking to get my first gig and have a few problems in my head. Most of the places i've been to that i figure i could get a gig at already have their set up ready to go. Usually a 2-4 cdj and a DJM set up. If i was to take my controller would there be any way to set it up? And if theDJ after me is using the CDJs would that affect him any. Or am i going to be stuck buying an audio 8/10 and hooking traktor up to the cdjs so i'm not stuck manually beat matching though my whole set. I believe i could get thru a set like that but honestly would rather not

Synergy
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
wait.....you said so ur not STUCK manually BEATMATCHING.

well...

Signal Lost
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
If the mixer is a four channel mixer, you could use an empty channel (if there is one), and simply plug your controller's output there.

So just set it up using the club's installed mixer if your controller has a built-in soundcard. That being said, I'd advise you to ask the club owner and other Dj if this is OK with them.

Also, this setting up will require you to pay attention to both the club mixer's levels and your controller's one.

(why don't you want to manually beatmatch? A good DJ should be versatile and adapt to different situations ;) )

Synergy
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
So, at first I was gonna rip into OP for saying what he said but now, I won't. You should learn to beatmatch on cdjs and yes, even turn tables. ESPECIALLY if you want a gig in a effin club dude. CMON! One should know how to beatmatch by ear rather than with a machine. Pay your dues, and in 10 years then yes, u can lol...maybe. Bottom line, learn how to beat match man.

As to what u can do, well if it is a 4 channel mixer then you can do what signal lost said. if it is a 2 channel then you will have to be fast and do a hot swap, its possible but its a little difficult, good luck.

Gjhowe1
03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I also will forgo ripping into you, however if your playing gig's you should be able to beatmatch already without using sync.

Most CDJ's have a BPM readout anyways, so you wouldn't even have to do it by ear, you could just read the bpm off one and set the other deck to it.

If you want to bring a controller in make sure its ok with the club / bar first. Some places wont let you bring one in, some dont have enough room in the booth for one and some clubs hate it when you disconnect their equipment. Audio 8 and timecode are normally a good way to do it, if you looking at getting into the club scene your going to need to practice on CDJ's / tables sooner or later anyways.

In terms if connecting it, plug into an unused channel or be really fast on the swap. Bars / Clubs don't like dead air between sets, so whatever you can do to eliminate it, do it.

Mike_Easy
03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
the beatmatching is coming along.. i just figure if i can make a few extra bucks in the meantime while im still perfecting it then why not. I'd rather put out a better set in public.. and practice my beatmatching at home to save the fuck ups for the bedroom

JoeAlan
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
If there's a free channel in the mixer then just hook straight into that :-) if its hooked into an empty channel then it's no way gonna interfere with the other DJs unless they have additional plug ins.

www.joealan.co.uk

DJ ATX
03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
so i'm not stuck manually beat matching though my whole set. I believe i could get thru a set like that but honestly would rather not

WHAT!?!?! You are a DJ right?

Honestly, you should not be doing a gig until your basics are solid. Yes that includes being able to manually beatmatch the entire set. If this was my club where I have my residency, the first time you press the sync button and I see it. I would definitely recommend you not be asked back again. Seriously!!

Andrew B
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Make sure the club will allow it. Make sure the other DJ(s) are OK with it. Make sure there's room for your controller. Take some CDs (or USB sticks) so you won't set up/break down during someone else's set.

But honestly, you're not ready.

sss18734
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
This is more of a courtesy / professionalism issue, really. Only the other DJ's like us care if you beatsync or not - the crowd/management can't tell and doesn't care one bit (unless they are former DJ's, I guess... lol)

If there is plenty of room, plug into a channel on the mixer and go. But if the requirement of using your S4 gets in the way of the club management or the other DJ's... you will look unprofessional and damage your reputation. You should just brush up on your beatmatching skills and use the equipment provided to you.

gudy2shuz
03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I gotta say, if it didn't make me look like a rep whore, I would rep everyone for their replies. When I read "so i'm not stuck manually beat matching though my whole set", I thought "oh god, this kid is gonna get ripped a new one" :lol:
But, ups for not murdering the OP for that.

<---Manual beatmatcher. All set, every set.

Synergy
03-24-2012, 12:01 AM
i thought about it then i said...no, i won't be that guy...because i could have, OH I COULD HAVE.

Not hijacking the thread but check this out, this is why you learn to beatmatch by ear. I used timecode cds for the first time tonight with Traktor and they fucking suck. DID NOT WORK at all. so i was stuck trying to use this damn akai lpd8....only it broke! the usb thing broke. so now what do i do, i have to use cds. okay. no prob because i know how to beatmatch.

tl;dr - learn your bases, shit happens....and it sucks.

Mike_Easy
03-31-2012, 10:29 AM
like i said i spend hours beat grid ding and learning my music so i can put out GOOD SETS. and just because i'd rather do the time so sync works fine so i don't have to beatmatch doesn't mean shit. Beatmatching is overrated, i do believe you should know how to though, but do not think it MUST be used. ASlong as you have your beats and measures down, know what sounds good with what, tempos, keys, etc thats the main part of it. PLaying sets people like

M!TCH
03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I guess I just don't feel like beatmatching is too terribly difficult. If you're having a hard time with it check out my sig. Spend 3 hours a day for a few weeks and you should be solid on this. Aside from that, people need to calm down about using beat sync. Who cares. Let people do shit how they want to do it. Just because it makes it easier doesn't make them anymore accomplished than you. What matters is that your sets sound good. A lot of people I know that use beat sync can't phrase worth shit and don't understand the structure of a track and thus their beat synced music sounds like shit. Just do it however you want to and go from there man. If management will let you, rock it, but, keep in mind if something happens with your controller and you have to use the CDJs and you can't beatmatch you will be FUCKED.