PDA

View Full Version : Complete solid starter DJ system for about $1545 plus music

ampnation
03-23-2012, 05:27 AM
I started thinking about what I would recommend to someone who wanted to jump into DJ'ing for hire with the least possible initial investment and this is what I came up with...

Traktor Kontrol S2 Controller which comes with Traktor Pro 2 full version DJ software
B52 Matrix 1000 v2 Pa System with 10" tops and 15" subwoofer
Sony MDR V500DJ headphones
XLR and Speakon cables, 2 of each, 25 ft each, from monoprice.com
Speaker stands + bag from Guitar Center

That and your music. Using current retail pricing on these, I came up with a cost, before tax of $1545. The Matrix can be had for about $600 used fairly often on craigslist or even from Guitar Center which would reduce the total cost to $1245 and the headphones can be had for less at lesser known online dealers or used.

The S2 deal runs out at the end of the month.

I put the post here because it was hardware and although it covers more than one category, I had to pick one and I post to amp/speaker most often.

Evolved
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I think the B52 Matrix is a solid setup even if it is not a higher quality brand. But stay tuned here for other replies that HAVE heard it. I have never heard it before, just read a bit on it on forums. For a starter system it sounds fine for that price to of course.

If you are just getting your feat wet, I'd also recommend ordering just a simple pair of tops and getting a sub later when funds allow. That is what I am doing anyway. If you want something better quality. When I first was shopping for decks I wanted 2 x Technics 1200's. even though people recommended I grab something cheaper to learn on. Personally I think that is a bad idea unless you can't take care of your gear :). I did learn much faster on the club standard.

I have never used a laptop controller deck setup before though..

TwoDollarCuts
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I second that B52 recommendation. I heard it at the dance studio I go to and have used it before when I DJ there. It sounds great for the price and does everything you need it to. I have no doubt that there are better sounding systems, but I really think that for the price it can't be beat.

ampnation
06-02-2012, 07:25 PM
A minor followup to my list. I recently noticed, although I thought I had V500's I really have V700's. I'm not sure how much difference there is in the two models. I got my 700's 2nd hand as a throw in when I bought my Nuo 3 mixer.

jayhwk
06-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I want to take a listen to the Matrix system sometime. I would normally dismiss it because the B-52 brand doesn't inspire confidence, but it does have a few pro features (good looking finish, fly points, etc...). Pop the logos off and glue a bit of acoustically transparent cloth behind the grills and you'll have a pretty good looking set of loudspeakers.

It'd be nice if B-52 published more data - frequency response graphs and polar plots really help evaluate a loudspeaker. The other problem that I have with "all in one systems" (and also with powered mixers) is that they're impossible to upgrade. You have to start over again once you move up the food chain.

ampnation
06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
I want to take a listen to the Matrix system sometime. I would normally dismiss it because the B-52 brand doesn't inspire confidence, but it does have a few pro features (good looking finish, fly points, etc...). Pop the logos off and glue a bit of acoustically transparent cloth behind the grills and you'll have a pretty good looking set of loudspeakers.

It'd be nice if B-52 published more data - frequency response graphs and polar plots really help evaluate a loudspeaker. The other problem that I have with "all in one systems" (and also with powered mixers) is that they're impossible to upgrade. You have to start over again once you move up the food chain.

This particular model, the Matrix 1000 v2 has a reputation which is obvious by used prices. New they go for $900 MAP and I'm sure you can buy lower. Used, $500 is pretty cheap but $500-700 is far more common. Crappy gear usually goes for 50% or less of new prices. And here's the nice part... if you buy used, and the unit is in good shape when you sell, you're likely to get the same price when you sell. So really, owning this unit while you save for a bigger better system is like renting it for interest on $500. Even if you're talking bad credit card interest rates of 18 percent, that's $90 per year opportunity cost which is recovered with the first gig. So now upgrading is easy... sell the Matrix and buy a completely new system using the money you get from selling + your other saved money.

Seriously if I ever start renting out to other DJ's or running some sort of multi-op I might pick up another Matrix or two for my inventory as a backup even with K's or ART's in my primary setup.