PDA

View Full Version : Probably the most boring topic ever.... earplugs

Galager
09-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I am getting worried about my hearing being permanently damaged when I play some of these gigs that want it LOUD. Do you use ear plugs? How often? What kind? I saw some interesting ones on Amazon that I am considering getting because the foam ones irritate my ears.

http://smile.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410236537&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+plugs

These also are supposed to have a better sound than the foam ones.

robare99
09-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Etymotic

When I mix bar bands I generally don't need them, but I put them in between sets when the house DJ is doing his thing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YgqDoYTu8Ro/Tuf1ZV5M9aI/AAAAAAAACCc/h8O8Rs_UaEc/s1600/Etymotic+ear+plugs.jpg

NathanDJ
09-09-2014, 02:18 AM
I never use them. I probably should, but just never do. Careless I am.

Evil Steve
09-09-2014, 04:56 AM
I am getting worried about my hearing being permanently damaged when I play some of these gigs that want it LOUD. Do you use ear plugs? How often? What kind? I saw some interesting ones on Amazon that I am considering getting because the foam ones irritate my ears.

These also are supposed to have a better sound than the foam ones.

I like the foam earplugs. They're not for everyone. You must follow the directions and insert them correcly.
There is a brand called db blocker. They do custom molded earplugs. They have a line that attenuates all frequencies evenly, by 9, 15, or 25 dB. I use them. Really nice, but not cheap.
www.protectear.com
I got lucky when the company I work for decided to provide them for all their employees. They thought it was a good investment. I agree

DJEcho
09-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Sure fire plugs, with open channels that can be plugged for extra db protection. very very clear. and if you've ever worked security the little clear ear piece things plug right into them and they sound great while still providing hearing protection.

these ones. http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

I bought them before surefire put the don't lose me dongles on them, they are 100% clear too, can hardly tell I'm wearing them. have had mine since I did my 4 tours in Iraq. served me well there and continue to serve me well today.

DJ Boom Bap
09-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Sure fire plugs, with open channels that can be plugged for extra db protection. very very clear. and if you've ever worked security the little clear ear piece things plug right into them and they sound great while still providing hearing protection.

these ones. http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

I bought them before surefire put the don't lose me dongles on them, they are 100% clear too, can hardly tell I'm wearing them. have had mine since I did my 4 tours in Iraq. served me well there and continue to serve me well today.
I'll second sure fires. I've been using a pair daily, all work day long for the past 4 months. Awesome

bpmcalgary
09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks to you guys I just ordered a Sure fire pair off Amazon!

Ntertainment
09-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Can someone help me understand the caps on the surefires? What is noise reduction with the cap out? you only get the full 24 db reduction with the cap in correct? So can you hear normal sounds with the cap in?

DJEcho
09-09-2014, 12:51 PM
if I remember correctly with the caps out it is like 18. but with them out you can hear external voices much better while still minimizing most sounds.

DJ Boom Bap
09-09-2014, 02:33 PM
if I remember correctly with the caps out it is like 18. but with them out you can hear external voices much better while still minimizing most sounds.
I believe you are correct.

DJEcho
09-09-2014, 02:41 PM
page 3 here tells you. it's not static, it depends on dbs etc.

http://www.surefire.com/media/wysiwyg/main_site_pdfs/EP4_Sonic_Defenders_Plus.pdf

Ausumm
09-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I've worked in radio for 30-years (headphones)
I've been a mobile DJ for just as long (volume)
And I've worked for a concert production company for 10 years (more volume)
My hearing is still great!
Ear plugs are a great idea, but being careful is better.

Also, I had an ear doctor tell me to avoid sticking anything into my ears.
Much like a Q-tip, ear plugs can push the wax farther into the ear canal, if you're not careful.
I'd imagine the professional ones don't have that issue (versus the foam ones)...

DJEcho
09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Also, I had an ear doctor tell me to avoid sticking anything into my ears.
Much like a Q-tip, ear plugs can push the wax farther into the ear canal, if you're not careful.
I'd imagine the professional ones don't have that issue (versus the foam ones)...

mine actually pulls it out lol.

Dj DussT
09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Funny, I just barely started thinking about earplugs this past weekend - starting to worry about my hearing too. My typical workday consists of multiple explosions and/or turboshaft engines at close range. Weekends are filled with live music and dj events. Definitely need to stop the ringing. Probably going to order these surefire sonic defenders

armada10
09-09-2014, 11:57 PM
I use IEM's when I play in venues that are continuously loud but during mobile gigs I just use regular cans, if you want good ones check http://www.acscustom.com/us/, they're a little pricey but worth the investment in the long run, thinking about getting them if my club gigs increase.

wapples
09-12-2014, 03:30 AM
YES and there is nothing BORING at all about it you can't replace hearing and I LOVE MUSIC but I need to preserve it. I mean to be fair as much as i love some songs there is only so many Nutbushes I can handle in the night. Iam quite fortunate weddings usually have me running from about 6-9:30 with background music so no strain there but then when its party time I slip my headphones down. Granted I only have about 1-3 hours party (LOUD) music to deal with but at least they cot out a lot. I also ensure my speakers are setup in front of me. I must admit a sub does always seem to the night better. I can't stand ringing in my ears and in the 12 months of sticking to this formula have not had any. Of course i have to slide them off sometimes to take requests or it is a good song and I want to hear it pumping but for the most when I i buy headphones like Dave Ratt says you need something that is flat on all frequecys also I look for ones that really do give me good noise isolation. So thats my opinion. BTW I use Denon HP-1000 headphones on all rigs.
OPOAT