PDA

View Full Version : Renting Upligting?

SiCSpyder
03-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Has anyone ever rented lighting? If so what are their experiences?

I have a person who was at an engagement party I DJ'd who loved how I handled that event (was not their engagment). They want to hire me to do their wedding reception, but the bride to be is set on having uplighting. I currently do not own uplighting.

I am not aware of a place around here that rents lighting, or if there are regional places that do so?

The wedding is in a smaller venue that max occupancy for guests is 150. I could not imagine using more than 10 uplights for the event. I do not know what a typical charge would be for providing up lighting.

Also, if I can find a place to rent it, what would be a good light to purchase (that would last and I would feel comfortable using for years to come). I prefer LED lighting.

- Rob

Sween
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Will cost you $1000 to $3000 to buy 10 decent LED uplights.

You can get chinese "puck" ripoffs for about $100 each. Or you could get better 3W ones for a good deal more. Also battery units are the new fad which will cost you even more but save you a bunch of time setting up. What's your budget?

I would not bother "renting"... instead just have them hire a separate lighting guy, or subcontract him yourself.

SiCSpyder
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I would think my budget is around 2,000 ish if I do buy them.

If I subcontract it..... I have no idea what the person would charge. Or what I would then pass on to the client. (what is reasonable for uplighting).

A starting rate in my area for a DJ is about $800 then up from there.

windspeed36
03-22-2012, 06:09 PM
If only you and I were in the same city - full lighting rig starting at $800 :P. Anyway,
http://www.indypartyrentals.com/rent_lighting.html
http://www.freqcitysound.com/lighting.html

spicaly
03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
check your local craigslist under services offered, i found a place local to me renting the chauvet slim pars for $40 each when I needed some

Sween
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
check your local craigslist under services offered, i found a place local to me renting the chauvet slim pars for $40 each when I needed some

Ouch! You got ripped off. I need to start renting slim pars.

Dave Daschofsky
03-23-2012, 03:02 AM
I picked up the chauvet kit with 4 slimpar 56's and an obey 3 controller for a little over $400, my plan is to just pick up a couple more pars every gig or so until I've got 12 or so. I've been using the 4 I've got for wash lights for a while now and I'm pretty happy with them.

RodneyL
03-23-2012, 07:08 AM
I would not spend money to rent lighting that is above about 1/8 the purchase cost. Slim Pars can go for around $100 a piece now... why rent them for $40 a night? You could spend a grand and make it back in probably 2 gigs, then you have your own lights and it's all profit.

spicaly
03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
sorry I verified the price it was $25 per par, and I couldnt see myself buying 12 outright