PDA

View Full Version : Speaker covers...TUKI, Cloud 9, Undercover, etc

jlcpremier
03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I have the ELX 115P and 118P. I've heard these get banged up pretty easily, so I want to get some protection for them. I'm usually the only one handling my speakers so I'm pretty gentle with them, but my concern is mainly them getting beat up in transportation.

Just curious what covers you all are using or recommend. I called around to Cloud 9 and they quoted me $90 for the 115 case, and $75 for the 118. Undercover was $130 for the mid-grade protection for the 115 and $145 for the 118. Tuki are the least expensive for $68 for the 115 and $73 for the 118.

Any recommendations?

disbjohn
03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I have the cloud9 for my speakers and i really like them. I went with the fully enclosed covers. They're nice tight fit and are very durable.

CQE DJs
03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Try Lecover.com Guy's name is larry he makes them. Good product for a very good price. I had one on my ELX112 (not powered) and it was a little loose but it did the job. Not sure if the powered version is a little bigger that would fill the cover in a little more and give it a better fit.

jlcpremier
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
So here's the breakdown with shipping

Tuki - $318
Cloud 9 - $352
LeCover - $305
Undercover - $550 (not even considering)

Based on that, which would you go with?

Al Poulin
03-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Last covers I bought for my RCF Art 310As were from Connie's covers (an excellent EBay seller) and the price was very reasonable (they are sold by pair). They are hand made out of moving blanket type material, are very soft and offer some padding which is not always the case with speaker covers. They are a little loose fitting but go on and off so easily. I really like them. The generic ones I bought for my NX55Ps were made out of vinyl, were tight and rough feeling. I prefer Connie's. Here's a listing for the EV 115s. She also makes them for the 118s :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EV-ELX-115-ELX-115P-ELX115-Speaker-Covers-Black-Pair-Quantity-1-1-Pair-/190653551245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63d6528d

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

jlcpremier
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Last covers I bought for my RCF Art 310As were from Connie's covers (an excellent EBay seller) and the price was very reasonable (they are sold by pair). They are hand made out of moving blanket type material, are very soft and offer some padding which is not always the case with speaker covers. They are a little loose fitting but go on and off so easily. I really like them. The generic ones I bought for my NX55Ps were made out of vinyl, were tight and rough feeling. I prefer Connie's. Here's a listing for the EV 115s. She also makes them for the 118s :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EV-ELX-115-ELX-115P-ELX115-Speaker-Covers-Black-Pair-Quantity-1-1-Pair-/190653551245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63d6528d

I was actually just looking at those. Could get both pairs for $275. I'm not sure I want them too loose fitting though. I definitely don't want the bottom panel covered. No real point in that, but definitely want tighter slip ons. I think it would definitely be worth the extra $30 for the LeCovers, but from there not sure I'd need to spend more than that for the Tuki or Cloud 9s

disbjohn
03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
The Cloud9 are a little more expensive, but compared to connie's covers, they're a tight fit and would be good if you just want to do the slip on option. The LeCover's has the strap clip, but those can easily break.

They cloud9 are padded, are very durable, and have a lifetime warranty. If you don't mind spending the extra cash, I highly recommend these.

mufutau55
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Plus one on this excellent speaker covers.. I have a pair for my Mackie SRM450V2 and one for my Yorkville LS720P SUB. They are very nice and fit nicely.
And Connie is an excellent and helpful lady. I highly recommend her and her speaker covers.

Mufutau

GaFFLe
03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Plus one on this excellent speaker covers.. I have a pair for my Mackie SRM450V2 and one for my Yorkville LS720P SUB. They are very nice and fit nicely.
And Connie is an excellent and helpful lady. I highly recommend her and her speaker covers.

Mufutau

Don't do it and they are not excellent... they fit loose and only get looser as time goes on. They are made of the thinnest moving-blanket material and will snag/rip/tear on you. I speak from experience.

Look how thin and flimsy it is from the start of this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BP1r2j5iI)

CHeck out how the cover is super loose and sagging @ 2:16 and imagine your speaker sliding in and out of its own cover when loading it into, or out of, your car or SUV. YOu need a cover that fits snug and that will at least strap secure along the bottom (like TuKi, Cloud9 and the other higher end ones do). The guy even has to grab the bottom of his cover to insure it's pulled all the way down @ 2:21!

I switched to Tuki's and see they are vastly superior to the Connie covers. They're also a lot thicker to protect your grills from dings. Spend once, cry once... No knock on you guys that chose Connie's covers, just pointing out the facts and recommending the best option(s).

Incognito
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Don't do it and they are not excellent... they fit loose and only get looser as time goes on. They are made of the thinnest moving-blanket material and will snag/rip/tear on you. I speak from experience.

Look how thin and flimsy it is from the start of this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BP1r2j5iI)

CHeck out how the cover is super loose and sagging @ 2:16 and imagine your speaker sliding in and out of its own cover when loading it into, or out of, your car or SUV. YOu need a cover that fits snug and that will at least strap secure along the bottom (like TuKi, Cloud9 and the other higher end ones do). The guy even has to grab the bottom of his cover to insure it's pulled all the way down @ 2:21!

I switched to Tuki's and see they are vastly superior to the Connie covers. They're also a lot thicker to protect your grills from dings. Spend once, cry once... No knock on you guys that chose Connie's covers, just pointing out the facts and recommending the best option(s).

I had excellent results with my covers from Connie, I added a few extras such as velcro straps that ran under my speakers to keep the covers in place. Mines weren't loose at all & fit pretty snug, the material was rather durable with a number of gigs under their belts with no signs of any potential tears etc. I then used water proofing treatment spray as you would use on your camping gear, this made the covers water repellent (not water proof), considering a pair of these covers cost less then what a single Tuki cover would then it turned out to be a great buy. One thing you need to also understand is outside of a couple standard speaker covers that she makes on a regular, if you want a cover for speakers she normally doesn't make covers for then she relies on the measurements given by the customer. If those measurements aren't accurate then this could lead to not so snug fitting covers, pay attention that the speaker in the video you listed is a trapezoidal design but the covers are designed for square speakers.

Are the other speaker covers you listed of a superior quality? sure but really Connies covers are decent enough for the average user (if they can withstand my rugged use then they get my nod). Keep in mind that my covers where a special order made to my exacting spec & I gave measurements to be sure they where a snig fit then added the velcro straps & water proofing spray to make a great speaker cover that came in a fraction of the cost of the competition.

GaFFLe
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
The ones I bought from her were for the ZXa5's and were pre-fabricated (no measurements provided because she already made them).

The proof is in the Pudding; all you need do is watch the video. Look @ :17 where dude drops her cover on the floor. It compresses like a deflated balloon when it hits the floor because they're so thin. The Tuki covers for my ZXa5's stand straight up as if it's another speaker because they're so much thicker and the material is so solid. The Tuki covers for my Danley subs even stand straight up and they're about 4 feet tall!

If you're really on a budget or have a budget priced speaker to protect, go for the cheaper brand. If you care about your investment, are touring or just want to insure your equipment protected well for the long term, make a solid investment in Tuki, Cloud 9, LeCover or Undercover higher end brands.

At least the OP is even thinking about covers... some dude don't even care and just bang around their equipment.

Al Poulin
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm sure there are better covers than Connie's, but IMO Connies' covers provide decent protection at a great price. The quality of covers someone chooses isn't necessarily representative of the quality of speakers they are protecting but rather the type of handling, storage and usual (possible) damage the user's speakers typically faces in the types of gigs they do. If your speakers get gigged alot and thrown here and there and you generally are not all that careful in the way you handle them, then YES, a thicker, tougher cover is in order. For those who don't have gigs every single weekend and generally handle their speakers carefully, covers like Connie's simply add that extra protection against nicks and scratches. Basically, what I was looking for to keep my speakers as new as possible for as long as possible.

Al

ReelDiel
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
^^ agreed her covers have worked great for me also. rcf310's. An extra velcro srtap around the bottow is a nice addition.

Nick_EventPro
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
It really depends on the level of protection you want and the amount of money you're willing to spend.

Simply put- the prices of each cover align with their quality respectively.

I use cloud9 covers for my vrx subs. The tops are in dual roadcases. They are well made, and take a beating, but my subs look like new because of them...

http://i39.tinypic.com/ml15pe.jpg

Incognito
03-23-2012, 04:23 AM
I'm sure there are better covers than Connie's, but IMO Connies' covers provide decent protection at a great price. The quality of covers someone chooses isn't necessarily representative of the quality of speakers they are protecting but rather the type of handling, storage and usual (possible) damage the user's speakers typically faces in the types of gigs they do. If your speakers get gigged alot and thrown here and there and you generally are not all that careful in the way you handle them, then YES, a thicker, tougher cover is in order. For those who don't have gigs every single weekend and generally handle their speakers carefully, covers like Connie's simply add that extra protection against nicks and scratches. Basically, what I was looking for to keep my speakers as new as possible for as long as possible.

Al

That's the thing, I did gig at least once a week when I had those speakers & more times then not it was twice a week with my hiring others to move the gear thus the lack of care being taken as compared if I had moved the speakers myself (yet when it came time I wanted to sell those speakers they still looked like new). Connies covers held up well, now that said she may be making them out of different material now (I had mines made back in 2010) since my covers where not thin or cheaply made. I can for sure tell you they where made much better then the QSC speaker covers (if you want to see thin & lack of padding check out those covers) that where standard for the HPR speakers which I had replaced for Connie's covers & had no regrets in doing so. I really liked the fact that Connie was happy to hear & deliver on my custom requests, better yet she made them & shipped them out on the same night that I made my request & sent payment with my receiving a tracking number & email confirming them being shipped first thing the following morning (they where shipped internationally to me & I received them in about a week). I highly recommend the extras that I added custom of my covers in the velcro straps on the bottom to keep the covers in place & the water proofing spray to add weather protection.

BillESC
03-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I use all Tuki Covers and consider them the best of the bunch. As a Tuki dealer I will match their on-line pricing and give free shipping to the lower 48 states.

Phil Lewandowski
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I use Undercover and can't complain, great quality. Tuki I have heard many great things about as well. Undercover NYC price wise, for the F2 style (the middle thickness) I paid $70 a piece including shipping for U15 covers, and $60 a piece for my NX35 covers. The F2 is a great thickness for basic mobile DJ's and sound guys.

~Phil

Brom
03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
I have the RCF bags with my 312a speakers and they work pretty well for basic coverage and keeping the speakers looking new.

When I was in bands I used Studio Slips (http://www.studioslips.com/clamshell.php?ManID=313&CabID=2686) for my Mesa Boogie 2x12 speaker cab (had a flight case for my DC-5 head). They were really cool to deal with (former Mesa Boogie employees) and can custom make a variety of covers for any make/model you have. There's a drop-down list on the site and may have your design already on file.

One time we were doing an outdoor gig and a freak rain shower blew in and I quickly covered my amp/speaker with the slipcover and it kept it bone dry for the few minutes it was raining.