PDA

View Full Version : key lock while scratching

samga
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
do you guys turn off key lock when scratching or does it not really effect it? I found the sound is a little bit different but i dont scratch too much. just wanted to know

Connor
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
You should leave it off when scratching.

samga
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
You should leave it off when scratching.

thanks

Marc S
03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
makes very little if any difference at all on a pioneer cdj.

Era 7
03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
makes no difference on CDJs and even more so with a DVS.

Synergy
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
if i have on key lock and try to que up a record i get strange effects in traktor, likewise, if i try to do a brake and hit the power button with key lock on it also does not bring the desired effect.

DJNR
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
if i have on key lock and try to que up a record i get strange effects in traktor, likewise, if i try to do a brake and hit the power button with key lock on it also does not bring the desired effect.

Traktor won't change key or pitch with key lock on, so for example if you are doing tears, all three parts of that tear will sound the same and the only thing that will change is the speed of the sound. If you turn off key lock, you will get different pitch and variation that comes with scratching.

samga
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Traktor won't change key or pitch with key lock on, so for example if you are doing tears, all three parts of that tear will sound the same and the only thing that will change is the speed of the sound. If you turn off key lock, you will get different pitch and variation that comes with scratching.

Same thing with serato right ? Like I said I tried with both key lock on and off but my scratching is so novice that anything I could do sounded pretty much identical

DJNR
03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Same thing with serato right ? Like I said I tried with both key lock on and off but my scratching is so novice that anything I could do sounded pretty much identical

I believe the definition of key lock is pretty universal within DJ software, so I would think that Serato would be the same.

If you want to try the difference, do some fast and slow scratching with key lock on, and then do some fast and slow scratching with key lock off. You should notice the pitch changes of the scratch when the key lock is off. :)

Dave Daschofsky
03-23-2012, 04:43 AM
According to serato "Key Lock has scratch detection, so that it automatically turns off when scratching for a natural scratching sound"

samga
03-23-2012, 08:11 AM
According to serato "Key Lock has scratch detection, so that it automatically turns off when scratching for a natural scratching sound"

thats so sick

Era 7
03-23-2012, 08:48 AM

that is true. you can even use +/- 100% pitchrange to create and UP noise with loop and serato will eventually turn key lock off. also you can use the vinyl brake on CDJs which usually sounds like ass when using straight CDs and master tempo. really love that about the software.

DJNR
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
that is true. you can even use +/- 100% pitchrange to create and UP noise with loop and serato will eventually turn key lock off. also you can use the vinyl brake on CDJs which usually sounds like ass when using straight CDs and master tempo. really love that about the software.

Sounds really cool. Didn't know serato did that.

DJ Que Yi
03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I spin and scratch with Serato and keep the key lock on and my scratches sound right.

sss18734
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I do believe Traktor utilizes the same feature. It is adjustable in the preferences - I can look up its exact name later. But I don't do much scratching so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

manoaboi
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
i find it messes with the sound ever so slightly for some scratches, enough that I try to remember to turn it off. For the most part its barely noticeable though.

DJNR
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I do believe Traktor utilizes the same feature. It is adjustable in the preferences - I can look up its exact name later. But I don't do much scratching so I can't really comment on its effectiveness.

I didn't know Traktor had such a feature.

Vekked
04-12-2013, 05:03 AM
It definitely messes with your scratching... not always in an obvious/terrible sounding way, but it's generally going to sound more monotone and not quite as good. I'd say if you're doing a scratch solo/routine/etc then you DEFINITELY want to take key lock off, since pitch control is a virtue and is a big difference between good scratchers and great scratchers. If you're DJing and you're just doing transition cuts or something quick then it's only gonna matter a tiny bit and likely not worth the effort turning it on and off a million times. If you're a perfectionist then map key lock to something so you can turn it off quick to scratch and turn it back on to mix.

And yes I know it says "Key Lock has scratch detection, so that it automatically turns off when scratching for a natural scratching sound" but unfortunately it's not that simple... it can't actually detect every time that you're scratching and not just pushing a record forward to beat match or whatever, so there's a lot of times when you'll still get unwanted key lock. I'm sure it means like it turns key lock off for pull backs or something, which is better than nothing for sure but not entirely what it promises.

Manu
04-12-2013, 05:32 AM
By very nature, scratching involves the manipulation of pitch and speed. I'm not sure what to call it when you keylock it. Cool to use though, it makes some sort of timestretching artifacts and if you add a +/- 100% pitch control to it you can create Matrix-like sound effects.

Vekked
04-12-2013, 05:48 AM
^yup, there are definitely cool tricks that can be done with it

Sigma
04-12-2013, 05:49 AM
I didn't know Traktor had such a feature.
It doesn't, or if it does, it simply doesn't work. It doesn't matter which mode you use in Traktor, if you have key lock on and you scratch it doesn't disengage like it does with Serato.

KLH
04-12-2013, 06:38 AM
[Mod Note: Thread moved. -KLH]