PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tastes in Music

FireArmed
03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Hey all,

So I was going through my Beatport Hold Bin today, with all of the tracks I had added about a year ago. As I was listening, I realized that I really didn't enjoy any of them. I'm starting to wonder: Is it my personal taste in music that is changing? Or is the entire genre (typically Dubstep and Electro House) changing all together? It's probably a mixture of both, but when I only saved 3 songs from a list of about 100, I was really surprised!

Does this mean that a record pool (Assuming I go live and have a relatively stead inflow of sets to play) is the best way to go?

Era 7
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
both: the same happened to me. since a year ago many styles changed and my own taste evolved. nothing bad about it. i say stick with beatport.

Divercity
03-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Thought I might add that don't feel as though you should be down to one taste. Ive listened to EDM for pretty much as long as I can remember and it constantly change's. I love music from Classical- DnB in huge variations and styles.

Lol even earlier today I was listening to Chillout then to deep house then to even glitch and LSD music. Just go with the flow man! Personally I always go back through my beatport list and add/remove songs etc. That is normal because of the fact that you get into different moods etc that determine what music you listen to at the time.

zakalak
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Thought I might add that don't feel as though you should be down to one taste. Ive listened to EDM for pretty much as long as I can remember and it constantly change's. I love music from Classical- DnB in huge variations and styles.

Lol even earlier today I was listening to Chillout then to deep house then to even glitch and LSD music. Just go with the flow man! Personally I always go back through my beatport list and add/remove songs etc. That is normal because of the fact that you get into different moods etc that determine what music you listen to at the time.

This. EDM makes you respect all kinds of music. Mostly because it draws from so many of those other genres.

Mahatma Coat
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Could be the quality of the music you're choosing.

Styles and tastes evolve, but I reckon on the whole good tunes remain good tunes, no matter how old they are.

mrkleen
03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I believe your tastes become more refined with time. Same happens with food, clothes, vacation destinations etc. Part of growing up.

disparate
03-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Could be the quality of the music you're choosing.

Styles and tastes evolve, but I reckon on the whole good tunes remain good tunes, no matter how old they are.

I find that too.

There's loads of old tunes that I never play anymore but at the same time there's ones that haven't left my box since I bought them.

Damon_Chambers
03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
could also be how drunk you are when you are putting stuff in your basket.

a while back i drank too much one night listening to music and got up the next day and my beatport was full of dubstep and drum and bass. i dont even listen to dubstep. ever.

moyo wilde
03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
one thing is, and it is in the book "how to dj properly", that when you start out you are buying music that you like. as you grow as a dj you also develop a style of your own. now a days i may like a song, but i won't buy it for djing if it doesn't fit my style(s) or a part of my style that i think needs to grow more. also i am much more aware of what what will and what will not "work" in regards to my style.

hopefully that makes sense.

Damon_Chambers
03-25-2012, 08:36 AM
^very nice post and very true. i run across stuff a lot of time that i like but it just stays in the hold bin forever because its nothing i would actually put in a mix.

DJ Matt
03-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Hey all,

So I was going through my Beatport Hold Bin today, with all of the tracks I had added about a year ago. As I was listening, I realized that I really didn't enjoy any of them. I'm starting to wonder: Is it my personal taste in music that is changing? Or is the entire genre (typically Dubstep and Electro House) changing all together? It's probably a mixture of both, but when I only saved 3 songs from a list of about 100, I was really surprised!

Does this mean that a record pool (Assuming I go live and have a relatively stead inflow of sets to play) is the best way to go?

its normal to change taste in music man
thats only the tip of the iceberg

i think its important for a Dj to evolve and move on , it keeps you fresh

getting stuck in the past is not a good thing (unless thats what your selling)

personally over the last 17 years i have moved from house, trance, techno, drum & bass, and lately latin music which is another world of musical genres

and along the way , sure there have been a fe people who almost disowned me LOL because they wanted me to keep playing the music THEY liked. but often its because it brings them memories rather than because it excites them in the way it did when it was new and mysterious.
personally i could not be happier, because im as immersed and interested in music as i ever was.

CC Ricers
03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
That's what the hold bin is good for- it lets you put tracks in the backburner for a while and you can get a second opinion of your chosen tracks any time later. If it's been more than a few months and you still like it, you probably have a winner and would stand the test of time in your collection.

djshire
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Its both. I really should go through and prune my BP hold bin, its gigantic, and I'm sure there's loads of stuff in there I no longer want.

FireArmed
03-27-2012, 03:43 AM
one thing is, and it is in the book "how to dj properly", that when you start out you are buying music that you like. as you grow as a dj you also develop a style of your own. now a days i may like a song, but i won't buy it for djing if it doesn't fit my style(s) or a part of my style that i think needs to grow more. also i am much more aware of what what will and what will not "work" in regards to my style.

hopefully that makes sense.

I definitely feel you there. Like it was said before, I think tastes change until you really solidify a sound. Very interesting stuff, a bit scary, but interesting!

NuffSaid
03-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Id say Both like music is constantly Changing but so is ur Personality? :L idk i confused myself :)

Grifff
03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Yep, you're not alone, our taste in music continuously evolves. I started off listening to scouse house, then I was obsessed with trance for a few years. I then slowed down again and got into tech house, which then progressed into techno

Finnish_Fox
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2mhVctFfx-Tb6WCC7FbTSfQtKpeyTiPZ7TUsDij1NsMs8WXBwC5TinhLR