PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Limiter?

Atomisk
03-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Title says it all. Favorite/best limiter? Looking for something simple an clean, don't need too many extensive features.

ezelkow1
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
ableton limiter

Divercity
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Notepad. The coding is quite easy :blank:

Giran
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
A limiter is a limiter. It really doesn't matter what limiter you use, but rather on HOW you use it.

mostapha
03-22-2012, 04:01 PM
That's not entirely true.

What are you trying to accomplish? I mean…I use Logic's limiter. But if you have something specific you're looking for, maybe someone who knows more might be able to chime in if they see what you're looking for.

thehadgi
03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
A limiter is a limiter. It really doesn't matter what limiter you use, but rather on HOW you use it.

It's funny, my friend just got dada's sausage fattener, which we were just talking about in the other thread, and i used it on my last track. i pretty much disregarded any and all laws of mixing in pursuit of loudness. it actually worked well. (i think ha)

so i guess that would be my fav for heavy stuff that is supposed to be all just loud. other than that, i don't really use limiters

Divercity
03-23-2012, 01:50 AM
It's funny, my friend just got dada's sausage fattener, which we were just talking about in the other thread, and i used it on my last track. i pretty much disregarded any and all laws of mixing in pursuit of loudness. it actually worked well. (i think ha)

so i guess that would be my fav for heavy stuff that is supposed to be all just loud. other than that, i don't really use limiters

I got the sausage fattener and pretty much love it. It really is easy to go overboard with but it does a good job even when you are trying to mix everything down. The only limiter I use is pretty much on the master bus. I'm not a fan of brick walling absolutely everything.

Giran
03-23-2012, 01:38 PM
That's not entirely true.

What are you trying to accomplish? I mean…I use Logic's limiter. But if you have something specific you're looking for, maybe someone who knows more might be able to chime in if they see what you're looking for.

Well there are more "complex" limiters out there, but essentially a limiter is a just compressor with an infinite ratio. Reason why I made the post is because people go overboard with a limiter and squash every single bit of dynamics from the mix. Not singling out dubstep producers here, but lately the norm has been to obtain a 0db level across the end master.

I will say that if loud sounds are what you are after, then by all means use a limiter. Just don't go overboard with it! :)

mostapha
03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow. Uhh…I'm not sure what to say.

Scrap McNapps
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
I like the limiter from OZONE. The one from Samplitude is also pretty darn good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

mostapha
03-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Don't get sausage fatener.

Also, what's your budget?

Divercity
03-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Do get sausage fattener. It is awesome.

Obviously your an idiot if you drive it on everything and brick wall your mix but it's a great plugin to give edge to certain sounds. It's gold for grungy saw bass's

Giran
03-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Wow. Uhh…I'm not sure what to say.

Well why don't you start by telling us what YOU would use a limiter for, because your posts suggest that limiters are magical tools and should be handled with caution... :rolleyes:

Irrelevant. It's just as absurd as suggesting that the EQ's in FL Studio are bad, so therefore you shouldn't get FL Studio...

markos
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Why not just use a compressor? I find limiters quite useless unless your a mastering engineer. If your just making beats, your dynamics will be much better by simply selecting the right sounds, compressing, and eq'ing properly. Leave the limiting for the pros....but if your looking for simplicity, stick with you DAW's plug in. It will achieve what you need to be done.

Skeyelab
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM

wrong. every limiter works in different ways.

that’s like saying every (compressor/microphone/speaker/cable/keyboard) is the same.

Claude Perdu
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM
I used to use this free one: http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

markos
03-26-2012, 03:42 PM
wrong. every limiter works in different ways.

that’s like saying every (compressor/microphone/speaker/cable/keyboard) is the same.

:bing:

learn to use a compressor properly rather then raising the volume of a sound. Your just going to distort and overdrive the transients and create a terrible sounding mix.

ampnation
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.dirtcheepdirect.com/images/products/large/DBX_DR260.jpg

Just KEEEDING - I have one of these, but a) I don't use it, yet anyway, and b) I know you meant software limiters.