PDA

View Full Version : Someone has to be like me

LSDeep
08-15-2014, 01:30 PM
So im kinda wondering if any of you are beginner djs like myself.. beginner djs but djs with skill and you feel like you are getting better everyday. The other problem is not having an outlet for your music, i bet you feel like even if you make something good how will you get others to listen to it.. Well i started djing a couple months ago and came up with a prettty crazy plan. maybe not that crazy but i am looking for people who are in the same boat as me. maybe we can work something out together

Baller95
08-15-2014, 07:34 PM
What's the plan?

Buszaj
08-17-2014, 11:30 AM
In this industry and with the amount of DJs around today, it's all about the work you want to put in. The best way is to hustle and "hit the pavement" in a sense. Become a regular at a venue or two within your scene. Befriend the venue staff and promoters. After some time (this often takes 6 months to a year or even more), send the event promoter a demo or talk to them about opening. It helps a lot if they have already seen you play somewhere, maybe at house party or something. (This is why you need to be friend with them...they could be at the same parties at you and hear you). Have some quality mixes online.

And most importantly, be passionate about the music itself and the scene surrounding it.

Sometimes these steps don't work though. You will see a lot of "meh" DJs playing out and you know you can be much better. That's just the way things are though. Keep loving the music, and DJ with your buddies at a house.

Another route which I have taken is running your own event. Keep in mind though, this requires proper knowledge of your scene and presence within it (people recognize you at all the events), being truly confident in your DJ'ing abilities, logistics, production skills are a massive bonus (staging/audio/lighting), and some cash kicking around to finance the event.

If you plan on doing your own event, you have to bring something a bit unique to the table as well.

DJ Boom Bap
08-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Only thing wrong with your plan is that you "started a couple months ago"