PDA

View Full Version : Calling out: anyone for whatever

dj symptoms
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been drumming with a band lately and have mostly lost interest in DJing. I thought a battle would be a good way to get back into it. Mix, scratch, video, whatever... make your rules. :slayer:

dlove
02-06-2012, 02:13 AM
wicked. I'm not on your level to go head to head, but I'll be sure to listen & vote :tup:

dj symptoms
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
^ :slayer:

Now come on pussies, somebody battle me. :P

Ellissentials
02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm going to take this if nobody else does. :D

scottie the goonie
02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
How about, you make your own drumbeat (drumset) and scratch - I'll beatbox and scratch. Just an idea. btw whaddup symptoms!

swine
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
How about, you make your own drumbeat (drumset) and scratch - I'll beatbox and scratch. Just an idea. btw whaddup symptoms!

this sounds fun

dj symptoms
02-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Well... I gotta mic up my drumset soon anyway to record an EP with my band, so why don't I record a drumbeat and cut up some instruments with Ableton (and film it) then send it to you so you can throw some cuts over it? :slayer:

Ellis, what are you thinking for rules? I'm a bit rusty since I haven't been practicing at all (decks aren't even plugged in right now) but I'm down for whatever. Just trying to see if I still have any interest at all in DJing. :(

Nick Bike
02-08-2012, 06:51 AM
you're gonna just throw away those cutting skills? u crazy man...

Ellissentials
02-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Just trying to see if I still have any interest at all in DJing. :(

Always rough when I see a fellow DJ down like this. If that's how you feel, and you feel more "band oriented" maybe it's going to be a sign. Or maybe, you're holding onto DJing for the reason of you really really enjoy it.

It's a pivotal stage you're at right now.

If you do want to battle I say rules like this.

Rules:
~30 minutes, no mixing after 30 minute mark
~Genre (you pick it.. either House / Breaks / Techno, and choose sub genre or not. This is up to you)
~If you pick the right genre, let's say "must use a rock n roll remix" It can be any type of rock but genre specific to our battle.
~Winner gets _____ Let's sort something interesting.
~I'm NOT a turntablist so scratching shouldn't be warranted
~Insert cool rule here.. I'm up for whatever.

Let's iron out the rules, and get to this!!! :tup:

dj symptoms
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
you're gonna just throw away those cutting skills? u crazy man...

Nah, not the cutting skills. I still really enjoy that, but there's no point in practicing anymore because there's not much I can do with it. I've already gotten all the basic scratches down so it takes a lot of work to improve a little now, and it's not as fun. Mixing is really what bores me, both because the music I like isn't what promoters want me to play and because anybody with a laptop can mix now by pressing a button and it's really changed the way people look at DJs (in my area anyway). I've taken six months off here and there and it never takes too long to shake the cobwebs off. Since I still have so much room to improve with drumming, it's something I enjoy practicing because I still notice progress.

If you do want to battle I say rules like this.

Rules:
~30 minutes, no mixing after 30 minute mark
~Genre (you pick it.. either House / Breaks / Techno, and choose sub genre or not. This is up to you)
~If you pick the right genre, let's say "must use a rock n roll remix" It can be any type of rock but genre specific to our battle.
~Winner gets _____ Let's sort something interesting.
~I'm NOT a turntablist so scratching shouldn't be warranted
~Insert cool rule here.. I'm up for whatever.

Let's iron out the rules, and get to this!!! :tup:

Hmmm... out of those genres, I'd have to choose breaks. The only gigs I've done recently have been hiphop and glitch hop tunes so I haven't even been listening to any kind of house, breaks or techno. My breaks collection is much better than my house or techno collection so I should be able to put together some kind of breaks set.

Those rules look fine... maybe no mixing after the 25 minute mark? That keep the mixes less than 30 minutes which I think helps get votes... I never want to sit down and listen to two 30 minute mixes and pay close attention so I can provide feedback, so I don't expect anyone else to either. I'm cool with the rock remix rule too, I think I have a few bangers I could work in there. I'm cool with waging something on the battle but I don't have shit for money right now... I live in a ski resort town and there's no snow, so there's no money in town. It might take me a little bit to get a mix put together but not more than a week or two.

Ellissentials
02-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Hmmm... out of those genres, I'd have to choose breaks. The only gigs I've done recently have been hiphop and glitch hop tunes so I haven't even been listening to any kind of house, breaks or techno. My breaks collection is much better than my house or techno collection so I should be able to put together some kind of breaks set.

Those rules look fine... maybe no mixing after the 25 minute mark? That keep the mixes less than 30 minutes which I think helps get votes... I never want to sit down and listen to two 30 minute mixes and pay close attention so I can provide feedback, so I don't expect anyone else to either. I'm cool with the rock remix rule too, I think I have a few bangers I could work in there. I'm cool with waging something on the battle but I don't have shit for money right now... I live in a ski resort town and there's no snow, so there's no money in town. It might take me a little bit to get a mix put together but not more than a week or two.

hah! Whoa whoa.. I didn't mean money!!! I'm literally the most broke person on this forum!!! :( :(

ok I'll iron out the rules right here:

~30 minutes, no mixing after 25 minute mark
~Genre = Breaks
~Must use a rock n roll remix
~No scratching

Good luck man.. no rush on this. Let's say 2 weeks so...February 23rd?

:tup: