PDA

View Full Version : A possible extra to the rep system...

Jimanee
08-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Just an idea that I've been mulling in my mind for a few weeks/ months, I like the DJF rep system and by and large it does a decent job.

However, since DJF V2, there is an increase in DJs who have the full set of repstars, but have just owned their equipment for weeks.

Great guys and they deserve their DJF status and they are allowed an opinion. It's just that in DJ experience terms they're still noobs, this can lead to a devaluing of DJF's opinion.

Maybe a symbol, mini jpg in signature, a marker, or something to show that, although well regarded, they are still beginners, like "L" learner plates :shrug:

Another group who could do with a label, are the under 20s, cool guys all, far better than I was at that age by a long shot. But I've heard some terrible advice, coming out from kids who have yet sprouted facial hair. Maybe an underage 18 crossed out or something?

Thirdly and most controversial, what about the DJs that are strictly underground? Fair play for keeping it real :tup: ; but commenting on realms of DJing that you do not have the 15 years + experience in, well there has been some shocking gross assumptions, that could be very harmful if acted on.

A simple: "stricly underground" logo or something, would add a world of context to somebody's advice to "just play what's currently in the charts and you will be fine".

Similarly the same for the mobile bunch, many of you are strictly mobile, hell most of you say anyways. Actually I remember only one real clanger, when a mobile DJ advised an underground club DJ "to play tunes that girls know and you will be fine" (or something can't really remember).

"strictly Mobile" for them?

I would even say it wouldn't per se be compulsory, this could be done VOLUNTARILY, with that person being immune to neg rep for things said in confessed ignorance (they could appeal or something :shrug: ) .

This way, the integrity of DJF could be preserved in the eye of the ****** beholder, unaware of members histories.

niarta
08-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Good idea, but who hands out the labels? There are TONS of members on here. If we were to allow anybody to choose what they thought they were, it would be a total nightmare.

Jimanee
08-14-2014, 04:49 PM
^^

Could be a Mod thing, could be voluntary; restricted maybe to those who have loads of rep.

I'd make the labels myself, except I have not a single shred of visual design talent :smash: . Anyone wanna have a go?

Jamie D Music
08-14-2014, 05:18 PM
I like the idea of this and earning different icons but they should be seen more as awards to be achieved rather than labels to break away from. I don't know the stats but I bet DJF gets a good stream of new visitors who either stay for a while and then leave or they stick around, contribute and become long term members and this can be measured too.

How it all works would need to be thrashed out and that is the problem because I don't think DJF has a team of active developers working on coding on a daily basis and reacting to feedback. It's a shame because I think DJF could be achieving so much more especially as DJing has never been so popular. I'm not trying to be critical of the site in its current state but I think an overhaul is overdue.

niarta
11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm going to start making some labels.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img540/8140/3GR9Wg.jpg

Something like this maybe?

mostapha
11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
A simple: "stricly underground" logo or something, would add a world of context to somebody's advice to "just play what's currently in the charts and you will be fine".

Actually....that label combined with that advice should probably get someone flamed.

DJ Bobcat
11-10-2014, 08:08 PM
There are problems with the rep system, I've been negative repped for expressing an opinion in off topic, even though I never use profanity and don't name call.

Still, most people use the system appropriately and I think it works OK. Also, I usually preface any advice I give by telling people I am new to DJing.

I've shared info about the products I've purchased while building my system, and have received +rep for it. And despite being new to DJing, I am an IT professional and have been building computers for decades, so my advice on computer issues may be of more value.

niarta
11-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Hmm. This would work if the system was automated. Maybe if you picked from a few options when you went to rep someone, ex this person made a good point about the topic or this person is very knowledgeable in this field, then explained in a comment box how that applied, that would work well. Based on how many votes he got in a rep category, he could automatically be assigned a badge, like "computer junkie" or something like that.

Usta_B_aDJ
11-11-2014, 04:39 AM
" I'M NOT A SYMBOL .... I am a free man " :argh:
:lol:For anyone who don't know what that means >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Six_%28The_Prisoner%29

Sounds like a good idea ... Heres one for new members like me :)

http://images.vectorhq.com/images/thumbs/f8d/vector-turtle-dj-illustration-112357.jpg

Adzm00
11-11-2014, 07:27 AM
TBH Jim, I think if you are giving advice to someone who is a different type of DJ to you, then you should make that known.

There are problems with the rep system, I've been negative repped for expressing an opinion in off topic, even though I never use profanity and don't name call.

Possibly what you have said has been construed as offensive, you don't need to use profanity to cause major offense. That said people need to get a grip and stop negging just because you don't agree with anyone. I pretty much never hand out neg rep.

Manu
11-12-2014, 10:18 PM
I have to spread before I neg rep Pittsey again.

" I'M NOT A SYMBOL .... I am a free man " :argh:
:lol:For anyone who don't know what that means >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Six_%28The_Prisoner%29

Number.

DJ Matt
11-13-2014, 02:36 AM
i think a 'like' button on every post would be a better system

make it about the post rather than the person

there is something a bit sneaky about the rep system, and i think the neg rep option kind of facilitates feuds and negative vibes

Usta_B_aDJ
11-13-2014, 05:33 AM

Number.

I replaced Number with Symbol for the benefit of humor ... Not as funny when you need to explain it though :)

TheDiplomat
11-29-2014, 12:40 PM
i think a 'like' button on every post would be a better system

make it about the post rather than the person

there is something a bit sneaky about the rep system, and i think the neg rep option kind of facilitates feuds and negative vibes

Agreed DJ Matt!! I have a negative rating & I don't even know how the system works. I found this thread trying to uncover what it all means & where the interface is. I'm not sweating because I know there are many big egos, especially among the young guys. I started DJ'ing in the late 80s & many people just do not like the few things that I have said.

The Diplomat

Jimanee
11-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Oh wows more replies, shall have a ponder and come back.

@ the Diplomat: Yeah have just read what caused the neg rep and it was not neg worthy, so I have fixed that. I wouldn't reprimand anyone's swearing till you get more rep :tup:.

Welcome to the forum though, always good to have veterans on board!

TheDiplomat
11-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks Jimanee!!

Is there a location or link where info is so someone can learn the details of how the forum works? I wouldn't neg rep someone but I don't even know how to do it. Overall, the forum has been straightforward and clear & I have guessed my way thru.

Thanks again.

allensmusic
11-29-2014, 04:44 PM
I feel that a better solution would be a sticky in the beginner section clearly stating that the rep and the title associated with rep "new member" junior member" etc have nothing whatsoever to do with DJ'ing at all. Rep has more to do with supporting VIP (financially supporting DJF) and non dj related posts.
I am not suggesting there is anything at all wrong with this, unless a new member thinks it is an indication of DJ skills or advice reliability.

SkoolYardMafia
11-30-2014, 01:00 AM

Number.
Holy shit, Pittsey's still around?

Baller95
12-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Same :whack:

Smallz
12-01-2014, 03:24 PM
it's an interesting idea, but i don't think it should have any bearing on the rep system. it seems like you're advocating the use of flair which i think should be separate from a reputation system.

if we were to add a rep system for every single thing it would be too compartmentalized. although having two different reps: general likeability followed by actual djing knowledge/experience/whatever could be interesting. anything more than that and it might be a bit much.

Marc S
12-01-2014, 03:27 PM
people could just start making their sigs state experience.

ie:

Djing for 21 years • residencies: 5 previous • vinyl/cd/controller • international gigs

or whatever, as long as people are honest.

KLH
12-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I think that if newbs spend any time on DJF, they'll read for themselves who knows what.

Competence is hard to hide.

Jimanee
12-02-2014, 04:10 PM
people could just start making their sigs state experience.

ie:

or whatever, as long as people are honest.

Mmmm yeah, that could work, both could work. Maybe even a mixture of the two: a statement of experience from a vet like yours or a noob's "get out of jail" card of "L" plates (a UK sign of learner drivers).

Adzm00
12-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Mmmm yeah, that could work, both could work. Maybe even a mixture of the two: a statement of experience from a vet like yours or a noob's "get out of jail" card of "L" plates (a UK sign of learner drivers).

Basically anyone who pushes MIK and preplanned sets should get an instant -10,000 rep...

:zany:

allensmusic
12-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Basically anyone who pushes MIK and preplanned sets should get an instant -10,000 rep...

:zany:

I could not agree more.

Jimanee
12-03-2014, 03:03 PM
What, give all the DMC champions of the last two decades -10000 stars? Because, with their custom vinyl, you can count on it being pre-planned.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with pulling off some beautiful harmonic set pieces in a night, it's a bit like sex. Spontaneity is good, but don't dis the art of prepared seduction.

Th3Technician
12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm going to start making some labels.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img540/8140/3GR9Wg.jpg

Something like this maybe?

me and KLH were thinking of doing something similar to this for all the people who have participated in the podcast. As well as have it clickable to take new members or members who haven't seen it yet to the podcast. What do you think of this idea?

niarta
12-04-2014, 12:10 AM
I'll make one tomorrow.

Adzm00
12-04-2014, 05:20 AM
What, give all the DMC champions of the last two decades -10000 stars? Because, with their custom vinyl, you can count on it being pre-planned.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with pulling off some beautiful harmonic set pieces in a night, it's a bit like sex. Spontaneity is good, but don't dis the art of prepared seduction.

I am dissin it, what you gonna do, eh eh !?!!

:P

Jimanee
12-04-2014, 03:00 PM
don't dis the art of prepared seduction.

I am dissin it, what you gonna do, eh eh !?!!
:P

Seduce your Mum :devil:

Adzm00
12-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Seduce your Mum :devil:

:lol:

WOT YOU SAYIN M8 :mad:

J5k
12-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I had a thought that reminded me of this thread so figured I'd share. We have dj's here from all different disciplines from mobile wedding dj's to turntablists, to strictly club dj's. It would be very useful I think if we adopted a signature format where you list how and what you spin. Here's some rough examples:

15 year wedding dj - country, rock, top40
10 year club dj - disco, techno, deep-house
2 year hip hop dj - hip hop, r&b, breaks, turntablism

I think that could help put different folks' advice and or questions into perspective. Thoughts?