PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into controllerism on here?

KLH
03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Is anyone into controllerism (i.e. using pads on controllers for triggering cue/samples)? If so, what do you use?

I'm personally not into it, but with DJTT pushing this style and manufacturers bringing equipment out that caters to this style (i.e. Twitch, Midi Fighters, F1, etc.) I wonder how many are actually getting into controllerism?

-KLH

nolimitz
03-21-2012, 04:42 PM
I personally don't like it either. It takes too much away from the Art of dj'ing. Pressing buttons to launch multiple samples or cue points in sequence is not mixing to me.

I'd say save that for music production.

sss18734
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I am. I use a Kontrol S4, an X1, and an Akai MPD32.

I'll bring my S4 + Technics 1210MK5's to upscale events simply for the look, without the other two controllers - it's a very professional looking setup. But I'll be honest... I hardly touch the turntables :)

Synergy
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
i just did an all digital show not too long ago. It doesn't feel like djing. I do like how i can instantly restart a song with the push of a button, makes for some great mixing and flawless sets, but it.is.not.djing. to me. it feels like playing with a toy.

Andrew B
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I am. I use a Kontrol S4, an X1, and an Akai MPD32.

I'll bring my S4 + Technics 1210MK5's to upscale events simply for the look, without the other two controllers - it's a very professional looking setup. But I'll be honest... I hardly touch the turntables :)

I think you're confusing "controllerism" with "using controllers."

If you're not, then I'm wondering what sort of upscale events would want/allow such a thing. It really has no place in a club. Even Ean Golden admits that.

sss18734
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
I think you're confusing "controllerism" with "using controllers."

If you're not, then I'm wondering what sort of upscale events would want/allow such a thing. It really has no place in a club. Even Ean Golden admits that.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. By "upscale," I'm referring to weddings, where appearance is more important than mixing. I do little other than beatmatch / cue point stutters at those.

If you define "controllerism" as something on Ean's level, then I guess I just "use controllers." I'm certainly nowhere near that.

Andrew B
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
If you define "controllerism" as something on Ean's level

Yeah, that's controllerism.

The difference between mixing and turntablism is a nice analogue.

sss18734
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that's controllerism.

The difference between mixing and turntablism is a nice analogue.

Yes, I see what you mean. But there are different levels of these that can be incorporated into a mix. Crazy routines like Ean's and the performances at DMC championships don't have a place in a club, but toned-down versions of those techniques can bring a mix to a whole new level instead of just "beatmatch + fade out."

You can cue point juggle / scratch / use effects creatively without being obnoxious. That's still a type of turntablism/controllerism - but it's not an all out button-mashing, knob turning, platter spinning frenzy.

Andrew B
03-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, I see what you mean. But there are different levels of these that can be incorporated into a mix. Crazy routines like Ean's and the performances at DMC championships don't have a place in a club, but toned-down versions of those techniques can bring a mix to a whole new level instead of just "beatmatch + fade out."

You can cue point juggle / scratch / use effects creatively without being obnoxious. That's still a type of turntablism/controllerism - but it's not an all out button-mashing, knob turning, platter spinning frenzy.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned turntablism. People can throw a baby scratch into a set, but that doesn't make it turntablism. Just like cue point juggling isn't necessarily controllerism. Sure, it's an aspect, but I just wanted to clarify what "controllerism" in this instance refers to. We're basically agreeing. :)

Tektonix
03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Ill do it but only at home for fun C: I have my 3 KP3's mapped as decks to Traktor with my Zero 4 and an APC40 and just make up random routines and such for shits and giggles or attempt longer set's like this aswell, It never leaves the bedroom though, Just something i like to do for fun allot.

mostapha
03-22-2012, 04:06 AM
I kind of hate it. I also kind of hate turntablism, though at least a few of them impress me sometimes.

When I get a hardware groove box or a 3rd turntable, I'll go back to playing along with Maschine (as a sequencer, not as a controller) but I'm not sure if that counts. I kind of hope it doesn't.

MeowMix
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Since i got a residency at a lounge, I play a lot of deep and tech house and sometimes feel the need to drop some samples. I need to build my sample library and ive started recording and saving loops from tracks with vocals, instrumentals or just plain cool effects.

Still pretty far from controllerism but i feel like i need to move forward rather than just stagnate on mixing A-to-B (although there is plenty of work to be done there too still).

I probably wouldnt like going as far as Ean Golden style cut, glitch route but rather more of a cool sample and loop style.

KLH
03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
I probably wouldnt like going as far as Ean Golden style cut, glitch route but rather more of a cool sample and loop style.
This is exactly my interest as well, MM. Rep to you.

-KLH

peterwo2e
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
kp3-or trigger finger and my portable trusty vci-300. i drop samples , cue points , backspin's. mix,mash, and just totally control the music. people are happy and i get pay, don't care what you working with if you don't know what to play and when people would go to sleep. my next controller have to be the ns6. but that vci-380 got my attention.