PDA

View Full Version : Are LED Moving Yokes There Yet?

Silver Man
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
LED lights are great (light weight, low power consumption, etc); however, they had problems of not being bright enough. Now with the 60w and 90w LEDs to hit the market, how do these compare to the 575w heads? Which heads would be worth getting in the LED line? I want something that has rotating gobos, 3 faceted prism (rotating would be nice, but not required) and separate color wheel (which is standard anymore.) Overlaying gobo wheels would be nice as well, but not required.

My background in LED. I have 8 Chauvet LED Rain 56's (I am happy with them) and 12 RGBA Blizzard Pucks (mainly for uplighting.) I also picked up a Chauvet LED Zoom (10w gobo projector) and I am not happy with it and will most likely go after the Martin PR1. As for other lighting, I mostly use 4 Martin SCX500's in addition to the LED cans and 2 Martin Roboscan pro 518 that I got for free. I have a bunch of spin and puke lights, but I rarely use them anymore.

So, that is my background, I want to add some moving heads/yokes spots to the mix. What is your take?

DJStevieRay
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I use Blizzard Torrent 90's and Blizard Torrent Beams and they are great lights, but they are not equal to 575 Discharges. Maybe 575 Halogens. Nobody, not even Martin's Entour 350 are equal to a true 575 Watt discharge lamp. The torrent 90 is the brightest head with all of the features you requested. The Chauvet Q560 would probably also fill the bill, but I haven't seen one yet. Just an FYI though, unless they really did something great with the optics, I don't think that the 560 with three 60 watt light sources will truly be 3 times as bright as a Q260. clustered Diodes, just are not as efficient as a single SMD.

Silver Man
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the response. The jury is out on the Blizzard lights right now. I need to put the pucks through more testing before I would trust them with a larger purchase. The pucks I got had lots of black sharpie marks on them. I believe that the units were scratched and the factory decided to cover them up with black sharpies. Not a sign of great quality in my book so I will have to see how they go. Now, the 90w lights, are they plenty bright for a decent venue? Are they still visible if general room lighting is turned on? Just trying to get a feel of how they will work out.

Synaxis
03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
The pucks I got had lots of black sharpie marks on them.

And these are legitimate BLIZZARD pucks? That doesn't sound like Blizzard to me.

DJStevieRay
03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Check my videos, my last couple were all Blizzard products...

http://www.youtube.com/stevierayentertainme

Torrents, RGBA Puck Unpluggeds, Torrent Beams, WiCicles, Lightcaster, and Eclipse DMX software, you might call me a fan. ;) lol

Silver Man
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
And these are legitimate BLIZZARD pucks? That doesn't sound like Blizzard to me.

As far as I can tell they are blizzards unless the Chinese got really good with knocking off product boxes with serial numbers and such. I ordered Blizzards, so I assume they are Blizzards. In any case, they all have sharpie marks on them (I would take a picture, but you can't see the sharpie marks on them in the pictures. Here are the boxes.

http://www.silverdiscprod.com/blizzard.jpg

DJRockinRob
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I have chauvet Qspot 260 and they're great.

God Bless!

Synaxis
03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
As far as I can tell they are blizzards unless the Chinese got really good with knocking off product boxes with serial numbers and such. I ordered Blizzards, so I assume they are Blizzards. In any case, they all have sharpie marks on them (I would take a picture, but you can't see the sharpie marks on them in the pictures. Here are the boxes.

http://www.silverdiscprod.com/blizzard.jpg

Huh. Perhaps the pucks were returned and the dealer you bought them from decided to pass them off as new?
I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like something Blizzard would do.

Silver Man
03-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Here are some pictures of the Pucks I was talking about. As for coming from the vendor, I would have to say that wasn't the case as they were drop shipped from Blizzard Lighting directly. I have the areas circled where they used the Sharpie. As you can see, it was used to cover up scratch marks. This is just one of the 12 lights I got. The majority, if not all, have sharpie marks.
http://www.silverdiscprod.com/Puck1.jpg
http://www.silverdiscprod.com/Puck2.jpg

DJ M&M
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Yes they are martin (once again is cornering the market) with LED movers for production. Ive found lately alot of acts are rolling with 301's 101's for wash to replace 600 2000k washes. THey are however still mixing it up and using 2000k profiles. If your looking for something in cheaper range lol for djing I highly recommend the q-spots.

Nick_EventPro
03-24-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm a blizzard dealer, and these look like legit blizzard units. I've never seen anything come from the factory like this. I would contact the dealer you bought them from. Blizzard doesn't normally dropship their products from the factory right to the end user- dealers usually have to keep inventory and ship out from there. Did you get an "almost too good to be true" deal n these? Maybe you got some demo units or something? This is definitely not like Blizzard at all- I'd say your issue is almost positively with your dealer you bought them from.

Silver Man
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Hey Nick, glad to see you back! I got these units from a reputable dealer (I don't say who because I am almost positive that it isn't from them.) As for the dropship, I think they ran out and had to have them shipped in and directly to me. There was a delay in getting them in and they were actually held up in customs for about a week. In anycase, I did chat Will K. over at Blizzard and he said that this is unusual as well and he is going to take it up with the factory. The bottom line is that I have a little concern for Blizzard lights at this point if this is how things come, although, Will stated that they do quality checks on all that come through. On a side note, I am thinking about the Torrent 90, what is your thoughts? Send me a PM with pricing if you want.

DJStevieRay
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Man,
I am using the Torrents tonight for a benefit rock concert in Lehighton tonight, about an hour from you, if you want to see a live demo. PM me for my phone number.

Nick_EventPro
03-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey Nick, glad to see you back! I got these units from a reputable dealer (I don't say who because I am almost positive that it isn't from them.) As for the dropship, I think they ran out and had to have them shipped in and directly to me. There was a delay in getting them in and they were actually held up in customs for about a week. In anycase, I did chat Will K. over at Blizzard and he said that this is unusual as well and he is going to take it up with the factory. The bottom line is that I have a little concern for Blizzard lights at this point if this is how things come, although, Will stated that they do quality checks on all that come through. On a side note, I am thinking about the Torrent 90, what is your thoughts? Send me a PM with pricing if you want.

The torrents are awesome lights in their class. The benefits of LED, bright, and for sub 2k loaded with features. The new Q-spot 560s are going to be brighter, but I Haven't seen them in person yet. They are also a decent bit more expensive. In that price range, the torrents are tough to beat.

Blizzard does QC everything that comes through. Honestly, very, very suprised they would come from the factory like this. Also, why held up in customs? Blizzard distrobution is in the US. Did you not buy from a US seller? Check your PMs for pricing on the torrent 90. =)

GeorgeSELLC
03-26-2012, 06:38 PM
The torrents are awesome lights in their class. The benefits of LED, bright, and for sub 2k loaded with features. The new Q-spot 560s are going to be brighter, but I Haven't seen them in person yet. They are also a decent bit more expensive. In that price range, the torrents are tough to beat.

Blizzard does QC everything that comes through. Honestly, very, very suprised they would come from the factory like this. Also, why held up in customs? Blizzard distrobution is in the US. Did you not buy from a US seller? Check your PMs for pricing on the torrent 90. =)

I like my 260's but sometimes I could use more punch. I can't wait to check out the 560, if it holds it's own I think I am done with halogen and discharge, at least with repsect to mirrors/yokes. If you don't mind shooting me a message what are you selling the Torrent 90 Spots for? (PM) Thanks Nick I appreciate the effort.

andythemusician
03-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Yes they are martin (once again is cornering the market) with LED movers for production. Ive found lately alot of acts are rolling with 301's 101's for wash to replace 600 2000k washes. THey are however still mixing it up and using 2000k profiles. If your looking for something in cheaper range lol for djing I highly recommend the q-spots.

Don't forget the other manufacturers - Robe for example. I've been seeing a lot more Robin 600s out my way recently. Freaking awesome fixtures to play with too.

DJ M&M
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Being in canada I only get to more north american used lights so I had no idea lol

SummitAudioDJ
04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I recently bought a pair of the new Chauvet LED Intimidator Spot 250's and they are perfect for mobile use. They have the output of the Q spot 260 with far less weight and size with just about every feature a mobile DJ would need. Here is a video review I did of there features. At under $600 each you can buy 4 for the price of 2 - Q spot 260's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-48SHg3bg&list=UUXA6hGwN0NJHe7pRyeJ-sVQ&index=3&feature=plcp