PDA

View Full Version : de la vs tribe. Let's do this.

brawny
03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Cast your vote and make your case! You choose your own criteria for greatness.

moyo wilde
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
voted de la my reason posdnous.

Mark_Spit
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I've always been a huge De la head even though I've bought more singles from Tribe. Love 'em both, but De la gets my vote.

shocase241
03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
I love both groups...But 3ft High and Rising is the reason why I went out and bought a pair of Turntables!

Pos lyrically is genius and Dave's lyrics make you think more then the avg crossword puzzle. Mase just complete the 3 and has energy of his own. Needless to say De La is my most favorite group ever! They're probably the only hip hop group I can think of that have been in the game for more the 20 years and never broke up, oh and they're still making records!

DJ Que Yi
03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I have to roll with Tribe. I respect the hell out of De La and they are still as innovative as ever. But I've listened to People's instinctive, Low End Theory, and Midnight on repeat for many many years and can't say the same for three De La joints. But I did rock the shit out of Buhloone Mindstate!

c-hawk
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Tribe had the vibe. gotta roll with TCQ

Nies One
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I went tribe, just more stylee I guess even though i don't think one is the clear cut choice.

I 'm going to have my cake and eat it to though
cUIgLZ0d5-U
FA116gijAYQ&feature=related
q3wcrig2VvU

brawny
03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Nice Nies One!

I asked because I realized I just changed camps. I saw the Tribe documentary, and there's a scene near the end where they ask Pos and Dave at Rock the Bells 2010 if Tribe is done, after all the drama of their reunion tour. Dave says bluntly "I hope so" and Pos just nods kind of like "he said what we're all thinking."

I mean Plug 2 says it on the Grind Date:- "they got annoyed but we got ahead and we got along." Fact is, De La has been building in the like 15 years since Tribe broke up. I love their late period stuff- the Grind Date, Are You In, Return of DST, and hopefully a dope new album this year. I just think they've built a body of work that is deeper and holds up better. Tribe is more universal, and make no mistake one of the best to ever do it, but De La has steady put in work and I can't ignore that.

And like y'all said- the lyrics and delivery of the two MCs is perfect.

I'm just kind of surprised that any group would ever supersede Tribe for me. I remember in djf 1.0 i was holding it down for tribe and those three perfect albums. But in the time since De La has been in my headphones a lot and Tribe hasn't.

rchecka
03-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Good idea brawny on fast forwarding to the two best crews, we woulda got here eventually I think.

I voted for De-La based on output and longevity and the fact they don't want to kill each other.

LeFresh
03-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Tribe is super dope, but I'm goin with De La.

The Judge
03-25-2012, 06:30 AM
De La. Tribe may have a few more bangers but they lacked the consistency and longevity De La have had. Not even sure you can compare the two. De La have kept it going for so long which is an amazing feat. Reinvented their sound whilst staying true to their roots. Not sure Tribe could have pulled that off.

ParisCreative
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Unfair poll of pitting my #1 hip-hop group of all time with my #2 hip-hop group of all time.

My nod has to go to tribe, if even only by a slim margin.

Dj_4-$hure
03-25-2012, 08:03 PM
De La. Tribe may have a few more bangers but they lacked the consistency and longevity De La have had. Not even sure you can compare the two. De La have kept it going for so long which is an amazing feat. Reinvented their sound whilst staying true to their roots. Not sure Tribe could have pulled that off.

True. With De La working with Doom, and just on another level. But in the end they're both great, and just can't choose between them.

moyo wilde
03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
not that this is how i made my decision of de la, but if i were on the internet, today, and i saw a track by de la (i would click), pos (i would click), tru (i would click), tribe (maybe click), qtip (no click), fife (no click).

also i read an article once on okplayer, think it was by quest. it was at the time qtip dropped his solo and people were saying why did he switch up his style. the repsonse in the article was that he switched up the music, but his lyrical content was pretty much the same. made me kinda reassess his lyrics, or maybe lyrical content, i guess.

rchecka
03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
... it was at the time qtip dropped his solo and people were saying why did he switch up his style. the repsonse in the article was that he switched up the music, but his lyrical content was pretty much the same. made me kinda reassess his lyrics, or maybe lyrical content, i guess.

Not that this has anything to do with this poll, but yes, Qs latest 2 solo albums are quite different from Tribe albums but not in a bad way, they are very solid from start to end. Don't sleep on em, they are very good, soul filled and Q-tip isn't missing a beat without the rest of the crew. Next time you go clicking for your music make sure you should "click" on his shit. Or you even could buy the music, its worth your dime to own both latest solos.

ParisCreative
03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Agreeed, both of Q-Tip's solo efforts are on point.

Dj_4-$hure
03-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah! Q tip still got it.

Sigma
03-31-2012, 07:53 PM
I went for De La Soul.

I remember hearing the first single from 3 Feet High & Rising on the radio, then picking up the album (on tape of all things, cos that's all my local store had). I still think it stands up as one of the most "complete" albums in hip-hop. To me, there is no ATCQ album as good as 3FH&R.

I also remember picking up the first ATCQ album on the day it came out and it didn't blow me away like 3FH&R did.

If someone said to me "you can either pick De La's first 2 albums or all of ATCQ's and whatever you choose, you can't hear any other music from the other group" then I would choose the first 2 De La LPs. I love both groups, but it's an easy vote for De La for me.

ParisCreative
04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
See for me it is the opposite. Travels, Low End Theory, and Midnight Marauders to me were one of the few complete albums out there. Not to say that 3' High, De La is Dead, and even Buhloone Mind State are not great albums, but I do see myself skipping a track here or there. The first three for Tribe I can still today listen from beginning to end.

Not that the vote was easy, but Tribe still eeks out.

Hamza21
04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
It's no contest ACTQ is dead De La soul is alive and well. ATCQ called couldn't pull off staying relevant and parodying the music industry like Pos & Trugoy are doing with First serve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OHmmYnw34hI

First Serve (Posdnous + Dave of De La Soul) - 'First Serve (http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/first-serve-first-serve/DDM2280CD/)

Interracial Tea
04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm going with Tribe. I like De La Soul, but I still find myself listening to Tribe way more often.

Nonchalant
04-03-2012, 12:16 AM
De La (sort of) adds another solid release to their catalogue today with 'First Serve'. They win with catalogue size and consistency. It's not really close anymore but if we talk about who's more influential that's a different conversation and I'd have to think about it.

First Serve:

http://wearefirstserve.tumblr.com/

rchecka
08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
this is unfinished from 1.0 days...

...should be an easy vote, chime in.

ser182
08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Longevity doesn't make ou bettering my eyes. Tribe has had the best hits by a long shot. Dela is damn good but tribe bumps. Not even close.