PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore and trance

DJYamAtree
07-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Does anybody have any experience mixing from say half hour of trance to hardcore. Does it work and if so how hard is it. the top end trance has the same sort of bpm as slower hardcore i notice so i imagine it to work well but i haven't actually tried yet.

Chaz PsyKoticz
03-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Yea, it works great. I'm big into Hardcore & Speedcore, and I experiment with other genres and throwing in a couple of different tracks into my Hardcore sets.
If anything, try throwing in some more Hard Dance before you switch to the Trance...do the reverse for Trance to Hardcore.
Also there's quite a bit of Hardcore songs where the track all of a sudden goes into that portion where there's some sort of speech or a some chick singing who sounds like she's prolly spent her teenager years walking in a graveyards with her cat on a leash. But they can get super synthy or have no background sound at all...be a great way to start leading switching genres.

Let me know what you come up with =)

Irrational_Fear
03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Yea, it works great. I'm big into Hardcore & Speedcore, and I experiment with other genres and throwing in a couple of different tracks into my Hardcore sets.
If anything, try throwing in some more Hard Dance before you switch to the Trance...do the reverse for Trance to Hardcore.
Also there's quite a bit of Hardcore songs where the track all of a sudden goes into that portion where there's some sort of speech or a some chick singing who sounds like she's prolly spent her teenager years walking in a graveyards with her cat on a leash. But they can get super synthy or have no background sound at all...be a great way to start leading switching genres.

Let me know what you come up with =)

^^^^This!

Also, I have found there are quite a few tracks in the hard dance / nu energy range that might be say 145-150bpm, but actually work perfectly well (some even better) sped up to 170bpm- with key lock on obviously. The less 'synthy' the track is the better, but I have several that I play like this. If people are familiar with the track it can create truly insane levels of energy. I've even been asked on two separate occasions what remix i was playing!- just the original +20bpm :D A couple of Nomad's tracks in particular are excellent for this.

It's a bit of a tricky one because if you get the wrong track it will sound awful, but I tend to find the darker, edgier ones have the best chance of working- ones in the style of the older early 2000s Tidy Trax hard trance scene. So dark themes with a hard bass line, with the odd sci-fi movie sample thrown in for good measure. That kind of thing.

Can be a great way of bringing the energy up before getting into more traditional hardcore, but again you want to know that the crowd you are playing for are going to go with you on it! If you are playing to a crowd of spangled, brightly coloured candy ravers for instance they might not appreciate the darker hard house vibe (even if it is still 170bpm!), but then if that's the case you probably wouldn't be playing trance to start with anyway! :D