PDA

View Full Version : Big Dipper Lasers?

Flight
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
anyone used/heard of them?

having DMX troubles. ie: DMX is not remotely working or responding as the channel settings say.

LiteTrix
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Never heard of them, but a quick google search revealed that it looks like some cheap chinese laser. You better make sure you don't need a variance for that laser. Don't use it out in public until you find out.

As far as your DMX issue. Have you tried another cable? Are you using DMX cable? What board are you using to control the laser? Specific model name of the laser?

Answering these questions should help evaluate your problem.

Flight
03-21-2012, 12:05 PM
hello LiteTrix,

i've come to the same conclusion as you...cheap chinese laser.

the DMX issue is not a cable, i have plenty of cables to try which all work fine with other fixtures. the board i am using is actually a software i'm developing to control lighting within ableton live, converting MIDI values to certain DMX channel assignments. i am using the Enttec DMX/USB Pro as my dmx box.

my software seems to be working perfect with every other fixture i've tried it on, which is over 7 or 8 different types of fixtures. i have yet to find a DMX profile for this brand, let alone model, for any other lighting software (show xpress, etc).

would you mind explaining to me what a 'variance' is? i have not heard this term before. thx :)

The laser is a Big Dipper B500M2 (i think) i will have to double check when i go over to my friends place tonight (these dippers are his lasers)

Synaxis
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
would you mind explaining to me what a 'variance' is? i have not heard this term before. thx :)

No offence, but perhaps you shouldn't even be using lasers if you don't have a clue as to what a variance is, especially since a simple Google search is all it takes to find out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance_(land_use)

Flight
03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
No offence, but perhaps you shouldn't even be using lasers if you don't have a clue as to what a variance is, especially since a simple Google search is all it takes to find out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance_(land_use)

thanks for your attempt, but i have a slight feeling you've linked me to an incorrect term of 'variance'...
the term 'variance' means many, many different things to me and my random background of knowledge...

why shouldn't i be using lasers if i don't know what a 'variance' is, as it applies to lasers?
please, do explain, i want to understand the risks...

for the record, i've never actually played around with lasers with DMX until a few weeks ago, so I am admittedly new at working with lasers.

LiteTrix
03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
thanks for your attempt, but i have a slight feeling you've linked me to an incorrect term of 'variance'...
the term 'variance' means many, many different things to me and my random background of knowledge...

why shouldn't i be using lasers if i don't know what a 'variance' is, as it applies to lasers?
please, do explain, i want to understand the risks...

for the record, i've never actually played around with lasers with DMX until a few weeks ago, so I am admittedly new at working with lasers.

The issue is that your laser may be too powerful to be legally operated in public without a variance. I tried looking up your laser and didn't find much. That should tell you something like there.

Mystic should be able to give you some information on lasers. Hopefully he sees this thread.

Flight
03-21-2012, 05:16 PM
i now undestand what a variance is, as it applies to lasers.
thank you, Synaxis and LiteTrix, for illustrating the importance of this to me :)

however, the variance won't solve the technical issue i'm having.

my issue, in slightly better detail, is simply that this laser will not respond properly to DMX input.
the laser works fine, and projects what appears to be proper light, and it works normal in auto/sound mode.

the problem is, when dialed in to DMX channelling (which is indicated as 12-channels in the manual), only the first 2 channels respond to any incoming DMX value, the other 10 do nothing. at that, even the first 2 channels do not respond as they state they should in the manual.

my question will likely only be answered by someone who has used a big dipper laser with dmx successfully.
i have 2 of these units, so it is not just a case of one bad unit.
i'm guessing it's a case of 'made in china'...

Silver Man
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Flight,

From the limited information I am seeing on these on the web for the big dipper, I offer strong advice to use extreme caution in using these and never use these outside of the bedroom. Any laser that has an output of more than 5mW require a variance to operate. All lasers in the US regardless of power are regulated by the FDA and have to be certified by the FDA for use. Fines for improper use or noncertified lasers is quite steep, and that is before any injuries are involved. If you have insurance, they will not cover as you are using an illegal device.

As for the issue you are seeing, I would say that it is a case of poor quality design/construction. That is the common place with made in china products.

Synaxis
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM

May not be for this specific topic, but:

"A variance is the process by which an applicant can request deviation from the set of rules"

As in a "permit."

As Silverman said, you may need a permit, also know as a variance, in order to legally operate your laser.

Personally, from what i'm seeing online, I would stay clear of the laser, and get one that you know is safe to use. Especially, if the thing breaks and blinds someone, it's on your head, while if you buy from a reputable company, it would be their fault for whatever malfunction. Unless of coarse you caused it or used it improperly, but I'm talking specifically about a manufacture defect.

Lasers are not toys, and shouldn't be fooled around with. Please that that into serious consideration.

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh, but you know, just be careful.

Flight
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
No worries Synaxis, saftey is important!
And you taught me something new yesterday, so no need to apologize.

My verdict on these lasers, though: returning them for refund.
My caution to everyone: don't buy 'em if you need DMX, only if you want auto/sound mode lasers.

Capt. Kirk
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
and only if you have a variance or license to use them anywhere besides your bedroom.

instinct
03-24-2012, 06:18 PM
I bought a big dipper laser in 2006 or so off of Flea-Bay when the green diodes were finally becoming affordable. It was stand only alone and not DMX. It was worth the money back then, not meant for DJ use especially in the USA. They are cheap chinese crap.