PDA

View Full Version : Ableton and Traktor capable laptop

djcarloni
03-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi there im looking to purchase a suitable laptop for running ableton live for my producing but also so i can use tracktor scratch pro with the controller. I would like to buy a mac but not sure which one would be the best so i dont have any problems with overloading the cpu etc. Is there a certain model of mac and/or soundcard that i should look at so i can run these two programs without any problems?

Im currently using a packard bell easynote tj61 laptop however it struggles to run either of these programs. Thanks for any help

Synergy
03-20-2012, 08:07 PM
i just bought a mbp 13" 2.9ghz 4gb ram and i can run maschine, traktor and ableton no problem. :) mbp! but it depends on the budget man :)

Phil Noize
03-21-2012, 05:29 AM
If you wipe your hard drive (TJ61 [dual core + 4GB RAM] comes with Vista according to spec sheets), and install Windows 7, your current PC should be fine.

Just trying to save you some money here, not trying to start another PC Vs Mac flaming session.

djcarloni
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Im not sure wiping the laptop will be an option however i will try and free some stuff from the task manager and prioritize ableton and traktor. Thanks for the advice :)

mostapha
03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Any current Apple laptop will work. Airs will struggle more than anything else, but the bottom-end $1200 MBP will be perfect with no upgrades. If you want a ridiculously fast experience, buy an aftermarket SSD from OWC or OCZ and wonder why rotating platters still exist.

Synergy
03-21-2012, 05:41 PM
i want a sad but don't want to have to buy osx lion again and put all my stuff back on it.

Andrew B
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
i want a sad but don't want to have to buy osx lion again and put all my stuff back on it.

If you bought Lion on the app store, you can use it as many times as you want, on any computer you own.

mostapha
03-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Yeah…I'm pretty sure you just buy it with your apple ID, and it says something like "you already own this, so we're not charging you again."

I've done that before with iPhone apps.

Also, if you still own the old one (or a time machine backup) the migration assistant actually kind of works, despite all of my assumptions/suspicions to the contrary.