PDA

View Full Version : Memory card/drive buying alert

ampnation
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I was looking to buy a number of USB flash drives and decided to check out what chinese shippers had available. I ended up at this site...
dhgate.com
Quickly I found what seemed like incredible deals on USB thumb drives like a 16 or 32 Gb drive for around $6 when bought in quantities as low as ten. I'm glad I didn't pay and be done. Instead I looked closely at descriptions and followed up.

There may be legitimate memory cards on this site, but what I've found is, many of them say outright they are fake or "upgrade." What these are in brief terms, are cards that may be legitimately only a 2 Gb card with a 16 or even 32 Gb format applied so it LOOKS like a 16 or 32 Gb card to the machine that reads it. Because it only certified originally at 2 GB however, it will cause memory corruption, failures, etc. There's a reason it wasn't certified as 32 Gb at the factory.

I see from youtube this is a common problem and you can't trust the packaging or even the print directly on the product unless you know what to look for.

As such, I will, and I recommend, that when buying a flash drive for any purpose, but especially your high end controllers or decks, that you buy name brand products from authorized dealers of those name brands.

As a commentary, I'm thinking what is being done is that the factories have testing for the products and the nature of silicon chip production is such that the end products vary in quality. Those that test under spec, get put in a reject pile, but might test okay for a lower capacity. Instead of throwing away or recycling the rejects, they sell them to shady operators who imprint them with fake brands, capacities, etc.

akswun
03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
lol... China is King when it comes to bootleg anything.

I know the economy is really bad and we often try to find deals. Be it from online classifieds to ebay. But never ever, ever ,ever ,ever bite on deals that are too good to be true unless you know for sure that its legit. But even then you have to be hesistant.

mostapha
03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
You specifically sought out a shady, chinese seller of electronics and somehow their stuff was less than perfect. I'm very surprised.

ampnation
03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I think I'm savvy enough to be able to sniff out most shysters like I did here. I only checked this out first because I've seen people have good luck with par cans and even amplifiers using such dealers here in the past. Neither were up to say Chauvet or Lab Gruppen levels which is what the knock offs were based on, but they weren't complete garbage either. The Chauvet cans had some problems that didn't prevent decent functioning with all but a small percentage of pieces and the Lab Gruppen knockoff seemed more like an Xti from the descriptions I've seen.

I think the main thing to take away from this is, if you're being told it is XYZ brand which is a top brand like Sony or Toshiba, that's a big tip off you're not getting what you think you are. If they're up front about it being a knock off, then apply the same caveat emptor approach you would for any non-brand item and I think you'll be fine. I've got enough deals (outside DJ purchases) on items that were questionable to more than make up for the few lemons I've come across. I would never make a purchasing decision like this where having the item be exactly what is advertised the first time around was important to my business. In fact, I think I would have come to the same conclusion as above about USB flash drives even if I hadn't come across the incriminating evidence because these drives CAN be a make or break for me I think. Also, I had a brain fart going on when I started out in that direction, thinking my library consisted of a little over 6GB when it is really a little over 60GB and bound to extend beyond 64 GB before long hence requiring the next size up or 128 GB to fit the entire thing. Seems external hard drives are the way to go and I need to snap up some "old school" drives before all I have to choose from are US B 3.0 which are incompatible with my Denon HC-2500.