PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 62: Comparisons to the 57

djdecibel
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
My Rane 62 just arrived from AGIPRODJ and I have to say, this thing is SOOO BEAST. I've had a TTM57 for about 4 years and, all I can say is, WOW. The 62 is twice the mixer and more. It's everything the 57 wanted to be. Matter of fact, it's everything the 68 wanted to be as well.. Here are my favorite parts so far

First off: the sound quality on this thing makes the 57 sound like a Gemini mixer. The bass is definitely more pronounced, the highs are crisper, and the mids are no longer a jargled mess. Overall I would say the sound is a lot less harsh than the 57.

Secondly: The headphone output being a lot lower than my 57 means that I can finally turn the volume past 2 and not blow my eardrums out (Shure Se530s are very loud).

Third: the FX- WOW, that is all I have to say. This is what the 57 should have been effects wise.

Fourth: SP-6 send to AUX is amazing

Fifth: the individual filters for each channel and AUX work just as intended and have optional resonance controls within the software

Sixth: Compared to the 68, the cue buttons are actually comfortable and easy to use.

Seventh: build quality- hands down the most sturdy and well-built piece of DJ gear I've ever used in my life.

Eighth: Metal headphone jacks: much better than those plastic ones on the 57

Ninth: Ability to use DJ-FX in Serato via USB Insert is AMAZING

Tenth: The lights on this thing make it look SO SEXY AT NIGHT!

2 things I don't like:
1. cue and sp-6 launch button aren't mappable, yet....
2. this thing is way bigger than my 57. Doesn't fit my SKB case.

Also, I would say that I love the dual USB ports but in reality I'll probably never use them, unless one literally just BREAKS off.

Here is a pic of the two side-by-side.
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1993/rane62.jpg

That is all folks!

deejaygo
03-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Secondly: The headphone output being a lot lower than my 57 means that I can finally turn the volume past 2 and not blow my eardrums out (Shure Se530s are very loud).

2. this thing is way bigger than my 57. Doesn't fit my SKB case.

Completely agree with you on these two points. I love the fact that the headphone level isn't so sensitive anymore. I used to accidentally bump the knob on my 57 and it would be a shocker while I had my headphones on.

I also have the SKB case. Replacement foam for the case costs $65. It's the cubed foam that you can cut out yourself to make the 62 fit snug around it. I might just get an Odyssey flight case, but I really do like the SKB mixer and how you can put cables and vinyl inside it.

I took some measurements, the RANE CASE 3 designed for the 57 should fit the 62 with some shaving of the foam.

+1 for a fellow 62 user!

djdecibel
03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I have an SKB case and it does not fit the 62 no matter what I do. It's just too small. The 57 barely fit too. I'm not sure we're talking about the same one.

I'm at a local residency I've been playing for 4 years and right now and I can tell you I've already been told by 3 people that it sounds better in the bar. The subs hit very different and the highs aren't as piercing.

I'll have more tomorrow after I hook up my Maschine and APC40 and see what I can throw together with the Bridge.

deejaygo
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I have the SKB 1914-SER. It will fit the 62 if you get a replacement foam insert for it. It was originally made for the 57sl

djdecibel
03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
thats not the one I have