PDA

View Full Version : Entry level Sub! N00b Needs Assitance!

INCHEMWETRUST
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Deciding on a subwoofer! I just need one for now (and maybe and extra same one in the next year or so)! As of lately, I've been looking for an entry level sub, and right now I'm currently deciding between the Yamaha SW118V and the Peavey PV 118! My application is just for outdoor, maybe around 80-100 people! Right now I'm running a pair of Yamaha S112IV powered by a QSC GX3.

The questions?

Do I need another amp to power any of these subs or can I use the same one that I'm using right now?

If I need another amp, what other things do I need to buy to get this system going( crossover,xtra cables, etc!)

Or can I sell my current amp and get a new amp that can power the speakers and the sub?

I assume that Yamaha is much better than the Peavey, or I can save money and get the Peavey and use the other cash for other stuff!
I do have a family function in the August, so I'm not in a hurry and I'm looking for alot of ways to get the most out for my money! the plan is to get the sub first and if available, the other gear later. It took me 3 years to get all of my current dj gear...piece by piece!

after this purchase, I have no interest in upgrading again till the economy gets better!

I've been in the bedroom for almost 4 years, so I'm just starting to peek outside! :)

Thanx for reading Dj's ! Look forward to your advice!

drzinc
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Hello and welcome.....
What is your budget?

Do I need another amp to power any of these subs or can I use the same one that I'm using right now?

You could run the sub and tops on the same amp but you would get mono. You would run the sub on one channel and the tops on the other. This setup will not do what you want to do properly.

If I need another amp, what other things do I need to buy to get this system going( crossover,xtra cables, etc!)

If you get another amp you will need some sort of crossover.

Or can I sell my current amp and get a new amp that can power the speakers and the sub?

Unless you get a decent 4 channel amp two amps are better at the task.

Another route to go is to get a decent powered sub. Most have crossovers built in so it kills 3 birds with one stone. A sub/amplifier/crossover with one purchase.

windspeed36
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
+1 on the active subwoofer idea. It will just make life easier for someone starting out because they normally have inbuilt processing which make life easier. They sometimes also have inbuilt limiting which stops the amplifier from being damaged.

Subzeero
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Deciding on a subwoofer! I just need one for now (and maybe and extra same one in the next year or so)! As of lately, I've been looking for an entry level sub, and right now I'm currently deciding between the Yamaha SW118V and the Peavey PV 118! My application is just for outdoor, maybe around 80-100 people! Right now I'm running a pair of Yamaha S112IV powered by a QSC GX3.

The questions?

I assume that Yamaha is much better than the Peavey, or I can save money and get the Peavey and use the other cash for other stuff!
I do have a family function in the August, so I'm not in a hurry and I'm looking for alot of ways to get the most out for my money! the plan is to get the sub first and if available, the other gear later. It took me 3 years to get all of my current dj gear...piece by piece!

after this purchase, I have no interest in upgrading again till the economy gets better!

I've been in the bedroom for almost 4 years, so I'm just starting to peek outside! :)

Thanx for reading Dj's ! Look forward to your advice!

I understand that you cannot afford anything other than something entry level. Something in the way of a sub is better than not using a sub.

I urge you not to buy the PV118 or the Yamaha SW118. That Peavey is a useless toy that you will regret buying, and the Yamaha is underwhelming at best.

You best bang for the buck is a used Peavey SP118 if you only have an entry level budget. They are solid and can be found used on Craigslist and Kijiji.

It is MUCH better than either.

A GX5 would work well and have enough power with two tops on one channel and the sub on the other channel. The crossover as you probably know is built in.