PDA

View Full Version : Allen & Heath Xone DB2 Review

hoff
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
:love:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/nick_schoenhoff/P1010843.jpg

Recently I began to grow tired of the limited effect capabilities on my Denon DN-X1600. Don't get me wrong, this is a phenomenal mixer which rivals Pioneer's flagship DJM-900 in many ways at half the price, but I digress. After doing countless hours of research, I finally stumbled upon the new DB2 from A&H. At first I laughed at it, as it appeared as though A&H stripped just about everything from the DB4 and called it it's baby brother... but after some more research it looked as though the DB2 would be a formidable replacement for my beloved X1600. Read on to see if I really did make a good choice...

Here are the detailed specs right from A&H: http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=XoneSeries&ProductId=XoneDB2&SubCatId=

Look and Layout

http://www.allen-heath.com/Assets/Images/Products/Xone%20DB2/Xone%20DB2%20top%20web.jpg

From pictures, the DB2 looks a bit ugly. It appeared simple and oddly arranged, but after opening the box my opinions completely changed. What's hard to capture with camera is how compact the mixer actually is. How does this change things? Well for one in person the mixer by no means looks simple. Clean is how I'd describe it. Also, the off-set EQ knobs many have complained about are actually only offset by half a CM, so it isn't as obvious when you're working with it.

Beyond the skewed EQ's, the DB2 takes on a pretty standard layout. Many 'analog' adjustments you'd find on any other mixer, such as channel/cross fader contour adjustment, are found in the easy to navigate digital menu. For most, this is perfectly acceptable... I don't know many people who need on-the-fly contour changes mixing EDM, which is what this mixer is intended for IMO.

My setup..
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/nick_schoenhoff/P1010846.jpg

Function and Feel

General
The DB2 is finished in a very nice matte finish. The rounded corners and printed logo's really look sleek. The body is made of a lightweight aluminum making this mixer lighter than most. Everything feels of high-quality with the DB2. The font/markings/borders on the mixer face are thin, sleek and easy to read. The orange accents add a small amount of pop. In person, the DB2 is one of the sexier mixers I've seen.

Faders
The faders are decent on the DB2. I must say the channel faders and especially cross fader on my X1600 felt much smoother. This is another reason this mixer appears to ignore other niches such as scratch DJ's. The internal components are protected by a rubber membrane which seems pretty standard in most mixers these days.

Although it wasn't a deal-breaker, I was slightly puzzled as to why A&H chose these faders while a company falling under the same umbrella (D&M Holdings owns Denon and A&H) could include buttery contact-free ones in all their new mixers.

The fader caps are a textured black plastic with the Xone logo imprinted on one side. The DB2 comes with a few extra caps.

Lovin the orange accents
http://www.allen-heath.com/Assets/Images/Products/Xone%20DB2/Xone%20DB2%20Front%20on%20web.jpg

EQ's, Knobs and Meters
The knobs feel really nice on the DB2. They are shorter than Denon's, but wider than Pioneer's. They are coated in a nice soft rubber and feel pretty secure. The knobs are really nice on the effects pannel, but I'll get to that...

The EQ's can be set to one of three modes, those being Isolator, EQ and Filter. In isolator, each EQ is full kill. In EQ mode each EQ can adjust the Low/Mid/High from -26dB > +6dB. In filter mode, the High and Low EQ's become high and low-pass filters with the mid adjusting resonance. The EQ mode is set in the Menu.

The VU meters only feature 6 LEDs per channel, but I haven't had any issues maintaining even volume between channels. The main meters function somewhat weird, but after doing some research I found out this is how all Xone mixers operate. In normal cue mode, the meters reflect cue volume once cue has been activated on a channel. In split mode, the left meter monitors cue volume and the right monitors mix volume. It's also important to note that the meter does not change with the adjustment of main mix volume knob. It only reflects the combined volume of mix output from the channels.

The DB2 also comes with a few replacement knobs.

mmmmmmmm...
http://www.allen-heath.com/Assets/Images/Products/Xone%20DB2/Xone%20DB2%20Three%20Quarter%20web.jpg

Effects
This is really where the DB2 shines and the main reason I picked it up. The selection of effects and modifiability of each one are unlike anything I've seen. The Vestax PMC-580 pro has 4fx processors, but far less than half the effects. There are a total of 50 effects categorized under DLY (Delay), VRB (Reverb?), RES (Resonance), MOD (Modulators) and DMG (Damage). A&H reports that more effects will be added in future firmware updates.

The effects sound incredible. Some I wouldn't touch, but many standards like delays have magical powers that can pick out individual frequencies to delay. Beyond that, the frequency range each effect actually acts on can be adjusted with visual feedback on the screen.

There is also expression adjustment, which is essentially how saturated the effect sounds, and dry/wet, which is more like a volume adjust. The dry/wet knob is huge making adjustment very smooth. Below these knobs is a filter knob which can work in conjunction with active effects or alone when the effect is fully dry. The digital filters sound better than my old denon and pioneer's, but aren't as good as previous analog xone offerings.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there are 2 effects cores. Each channel can be set to either X or Y, meaning only one effect can be applied to a particular channel at one time, but this can be overcome using the input matrix...

Inputs and Connections
The Inputs and Outputs on the DB2 should serve most people just fine. The DB2 is limited to only 2 digital INs, but this was not a concern for me. There is only one mic input, but again, this didn't worry me. Under the XLR mic input is a RCA line in. The mic and line cannot be used at the same time. The one thing lacking is a master RCA out - the DB2 only has RCA record out. The difference being master mix volume adjustments do not change record out volume. The same goes for digital record out. There are 2 phono pre-amps which can be applied to the 2 and 3 line inputs. The X-link ethernet port is for syncing other A&H products such as the new K2 controller. It's similar to Pioneer's link feature on their line. The DB2 has both types of headphone ports for cueing which has proved to be quite convenient. The rest can be seen in this pic..

http://www.allen-heath.com/Assets/Images/Products/Xone%20DB2/Xone%20DB2%20back%20web.jpg

I'll just quickly touch on this.. The input matrix on the DB2 is solid. The rotating selector can select 1, 2, 3 and 4, and the toggle switch can select Ana, USB or Digital. This means 10 different sources (4 rca line, 4 usb and 2 digital line) of audio can be routed to each channel. As mentioned before, this can be useful with effects. You can instantly duplicate the audio from one channel to the next, allowing you to apply 2 different effects to the same song at one time.

Sound Quality and Internal Soundcard
The DB2 sounds great. I'd say the sound is slightly warmer when compared to my previous Denon DN-X1600, but in all reality the difference is minimal.

The internal USB soundcard on the DB2 features 8 INs and OUTs and can be used to allow the DB2 to interface with a computer. It allows you to record mixes straight to a laptop or interface with DJ software. MIDI setup was very easy with the included CD. I had no trouble routing audio from Traktor Pro 2 to the DB2, but latencies had to be set higher than with my Audio 10. I also found my CPU was throttling a lot more with the DB2 hooked up directly. This wasn't a huge surprise as the DB2 is not Traktor certified, but let's hope A&H can fix this with a future firmware update.

Verdict

This is my first mixer from Allen and Heath but it probably won't be my last. The DB2 is a high-quality kit with a carefully selected feature-set that will serve most EDM DJ's very well. The effects pannel is the biggest strong point of the DB2. It easily overpowers the DJM-900 in selection, quality and modifiability. Compared to the dual FX capability of the DN-X1700, the DB2 also comes out on top for the reasons listed in detail above.

Luckily for me, the shortcomings of the DB2 aren't of much concern. The main points to consider are the slightly minimal IN/OUT options when compared to other mixers in the same price range and fader feel. As noted before, the channel faders are perfectly acceptable, but the cross fader isn't great, especially for scratching.

9/10

Final Words

For EDM DJ's looking for an all-purpose 4 channel mixer with an internal selection of effects rivalling most external effects units, please consider the Xone DB2. With so many possibilities, mixing on the DB2 is a highly enjoyable experience.

- hoff

Here's an improv mix I threw together on the DB2. Screwed around with delays and filters in some of the trannies.
http://soundcloud.com/hoffdj/30-degrees

Another mix, planned out..
http://soundcloud.com/hoffdj/nite-4-0

Pictures sourced from A&H website and my camera.

DJNR
03-20-2012, 04:47 PM
What does the X link (ethernet port thing) do?

+rep for the review

DJ Nutty
03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Looks like it has a digital out to me.. Is there any difference really between a record digital out and master digital out ?

Synergy
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
you can link other allen and heath peripherals to it like the x1 etc.

hoff
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
thanks nutty, changed it. meant to say 4 INs. the record out volume is fixed, changing the mix volume does not adjust record volume.

And yeah, the x-link port is for the K2 controller. similar to denon and pioneer network linking.

DJNR
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
thanks nutty, changed it. meant to say INs.

And yeah, the x-link port is for the K2 controller. similar to denon and pioneer network linking.

Awh darn. It would have been awesome to see if you could do a Pioneer DJ link (quantized effects and such) with an Allen & Heath mixer. :(

hoff
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Awh darn. It would have been awesome to see if you could do a Pioneer DJ link (quantized effects and such) with an Allen & Heath mixer. :(

I agree. The problem with the dj market is the big companies are so hostile towards each other. I don't expect to see a harmonized linking system for some time :(

DJNR
03-20-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree. The problem with the dj market is the big companies are so hostile towards each other. I don't expect to see a harmonized linking system for some time :(

If ever :P

hoff
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
updated to include more information regarding inputs and a few other things.

thehadgi
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow that's an awesome review. I might have to look into this one when I get my next mixer

DJ Nutty
03-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Do any club setups use digital out before connecting to amps/speakers, or just use XLR connectors ?

This is defo my next mixer tho! :) +rep for review

hoff
03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Do any club setups use digital out before connecting to amps/speakers, or just use XLR connectors ?

This is defo my next mixer tho! :) +rep for review

Thanks for the rep everyone! I felt the need to write a detailed review/guide considering there isn't much out there on this beast.

nutty - Every club i've been in uses RCA to their system and quarter inch booth to the booth

D@VE!
03-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Great review ! Love the Mixer ! Love the DB series :)

DJStevieRay
03-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Nice review +repped

Damon_Chambers
03-23-2012, 07:46 AM
very good review... very professionally written. :) added to the main review page for you.

NickJames
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Great review. I am out of rep right now but will certainly come back and get you.

I really want one of these mixers, the only thing I dislike is the lack of RCA output which is normally how I would hook up my speakers at home.

Mark_Spit
03-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Definitly not a mixer for me as I'm still mainly analog and it only has two phono in's, but still impressive nonetheless. And I think you're right about the faders; something in that price range should have some top-shelf units
Great review:tup:

Evolved
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
It is 1799.99. How did you afford this? I have a Xone:92 and its barely used. I want one of these very bad. But still love the 92. They just make the mixers so much more expensive now.

hoff
03-23-2012, 02:35 PM
very good review... very professionally written. :) added to the main review page for you.

much love!

hoff
03-23-2012, 02:45 PM
It is 1799.99. How did you afford this? I have a Xone:92 and its barely used. I want one of these very bad. But still love the 92. They just make the mixers so much more expensive now.

Well for one I dont have a pair of CDJ2000's :P

Sold my old mixer, a few other things and worked.

ElectroManiac
03-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Really nice review. The fx units + the input matrix is what get most of my attention on this mixer.

+rep

Damon_Chambers
03-24-2012, 06:53 AM
It is 1799.99. How did you afford this?

i drove by a intersection and saw him standing on the corner by the light pole in a pink miniskirt and high heels. that may have contributed. :shrug:

ElectroManiac
03-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I have a question, can you assign the EQ setting separately on each channel? or you can only have one kind of EQ setting on all channels?

i drove by a intersection and saw him standing on the corner by the light pole in a pink miniskirt and high heels. that may have contributed. :shrug:

And you probably help on that contribution :teef: :ninja:

Damon_Chambers
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
And you probably help on that contribution :teef: :ninja:

its not the 60s and 70s... love isnt free anymore. :(

hoff
03-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a question, can you assign the EQ setting separately on each channel? or you can only have one kind of EQ setting on all channels?

Unfortunately EQ's are a global setting inside the menus.

ElectroManiac
03-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately EQ's are a global setting inside the menus.

Yeah I just read it on another review. Hopefully that is something they can add it on a firmware update.

DJNR
03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I was in class distracted as usual and I thought about a couple of questions:

1. What exactly does the K2 transmit to the DB2 through the ethernet connection? In other words, what is it for?

2. I keep hearing about how great the effects are, but nobody gives me a convincing reason why they are good. Why are the effects so much better than say those on a DJM-900?

Damon_Chambers
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
absolutely zero personal experience here yet (ill have my db4 in my hands come wednesday) but ive read everywhere they are "studio quality" effects. that sales pitch aside, ive read reviews and seen on youtube vids people saying the effects do not color the sound as much as some other mixers do. that would kinda line up with the studio quality claim. also there are lots and lots of variables of each effect versus the few presets on other mixers. thats all 2nd and 3rd hand mind you. :shrug:

hoff
03-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I was in class distracted as usual and I thought about a couple of questions:

1. What exactly does the K2 transmit to the DB2 through the ethernet connection? In other words, what is it for?

2. I keep hearing about how great the effects are, but nobody gives me a convincing reason why they are good. Why are the effects so much better than say those on a DJM-900?

1. the k2 has a built-in traktor interface so i think the ethernet connection may have something to do with that?

2. it's hard to describe, but beyond the fact that it has about 50 fx, not like 10, they sound as though they are part of the song. you really have to turn expression and dry/wet up for it to start sounding 'aftermarket'

listen thru this mix if u have time, I use 1/2 beat delay in a number of spots. if not, skip to 15min and listen till 17. i use delay heavily on the song im brining out but it blends really nice.. http://soundcloud.com/hoffdj/30-degrees

you could never isolate frequencies to delay as precisely with pio

hoff
03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
recorded another mix on the db2. planned this one out.. really turned out well. f'ing love this mixer.

http://soundcloud.com/hoffdj/nite-4-0

Minksy
04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Lovin these mixes buddy. Nice job.

Adzm00
04-02-2012, 06:59 AM
I'd like a reviewers comparison between the DB2 and DB4. If the DB4 is really worth the extra cash, I'd like to know why from someone who has had hands on.

Era 7
04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
as an update:

this article has just been linked to by the official Allen & Heath facebook page :D :dance:

http://www.facebook.com/AllenHeathofficial

DJNR
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
as an update:

this article has just been linked to by the official Allen & Heath facebook page :D :dance:

Nice! :dance:

ElectroManiac
04-02-2012, 05:05 PM
as an update:

This is great. DJF needs some attention now. This will definitely bring some people to the site, and by the way I might buy this mixer soon. :uhoh:

Era 7
04-03-2012, 04:12 AM
This is great. DJF needs a some of attention now. This will definitely bring some people to the site, and by the way I might buy this mixer soon. :uhoh:

i pity your bankaccount :uhoh:

hoff
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
as an update:

YES! That's friggen awesome

djlukewathey
04-06-2012, 03:37 AM
nice review fella, this is the mixer i will be upgrading to although it prob wont be until at least summer 2013 as it comes with quite a big price tag,

when it first came out i thought the same and found it a stupid mixer even the db4 i thought the same,

my brother has a xone 92 which i love to use and wasnt sure what allen & heath were trying to do with this mixer.

but after many hours of researching this mixer watching videos i knew this mixer was for me, especially whith allen & heath saying they will be adding effects through firmware which i think is great as i found the djm800s effects sounded quite dated after a while which i think prolongs the life of the mixer...

i think the db2 and db4 will be with us for many years to come.

Minksy
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd like a reviewers comparison between the DB2 and DB4. If the DB4 is really worth the extra cash, I'd like to know why from someone who has had hands on.

Exactly

hoff
04-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Even though I haven't used a DB4, I can pretty much assume it's worth the money if you have it. This is based on how impressed i am with the DB2, which has 2 stand-alone filters and 2 fx cores stripped from it, as well as a few other things when comparing the DB4... I just can't justify spending over 2 grand on a mixer at this point, even if it was made by god himself.

This was the best new mixer 2 grand could buy, the DB4 is probably the best mixer you can buy period.

prODucer
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I was set to get the 900 nexus but I dunno now??? I owned a xone 92 and I think the only thing I may like more about the 900 is the feel of the faders and the look. I'm going to have to really think about this....Any comparison comments for me between the 900 nexus and the db2? Obviously I will make up my own mind in the end but I'd love to hear any opinions you may have. Excellent review. Thanks!

ElectroManiac
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey hoff, have you try the midi capabilities with traktor? if you have how good was it? is it easy to setup?

hoff
04-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Hey hoff, have you try the midi capabilities with traktor? if you have how good was it? is it easy to setup?

i haven't tried mapping, but i set up my db2 as a midi device on my mac in 2 seconds. i doubt it would take much to map it