PDA

View Full Version : That good ol' American RnB we used to know...

EL Mixikero
06-20-2014, 02:28 AM
To name a few (mostly 70s upto 90s): Gladys, Deniece W, Aaliyah (RIP), Zhane, Mary J Blidge, Brian McKnght, BoysIIMen, Isley Bros., Eddie Kendricks, Stylistics, R Kelly, Babyface, Tevin Campbell, etc... I mean bunch of GOOD SINGERS -mostly coming from a "black church" gospel singing, "Soultrain" or merely of soul background.

BUT NOW... those used to be "good voices" has just turned into if not some sort of bitchy "Vegas Style" singing ("Minajesque"), or granulated/robotified voice for this said genre... or worse, has turned "Electronified"... :blank:
Oh man, technology nowadays indeed... Sigh :squint:

Where's that Soul we used to know?

Hanginon
07-05-2014, 08:10 AM
It was eclipsed by soulless music - RAP, Reggaeton, Dubstep. We have an entire younger generation (black, latino, and white) that can jump, do athletic moves, have fun with themselves in a closet, but can't partner dance.

KLH
07-05-2014, 09:00 AM
You guys sound like old farts. Music itself hasn't really fundamentally changed: a good tune is a good tune. Styles change all the time.

Dix
07-05-2014, 10:43 AM
To name a few (mostly 70s upto 90s): Gladys, Deniece W, Aaliyah (RIP), Zhane, Mary J Blidge, Brian McKnght, BoysIIMen, Isley Bros., Eddie Kendricks, Stylistics, R Kelly, Babyface, Tevin Campbell, etc... I mean bunch of GOOD SINGERS -mostly coming from a "black church" gospel singing, "Soultrain" or merely of soul background.

BUT NOW... those used to be "good voices" has just turned into if not some sort of bitchy "Vegas Style" singing ("Minajesque"), or granulated/robotified voice for this said genre... or worse, has turned "Electronified"... :blank:
Oh man, technology nowadays indeed... Sigh :squint:

I think your combining two different genres here.

In the 70's it was R&B... now, its RnB..... there is your difference. Its different genre's. I remember when the Eagles came out in the early 70's. They were considered rock for a bit, then moved into the soft rock genre. Now, I dont consider them rock at all.. I put them in a Pop genre. you can even hear some of their stuff like Desperado etc on Country stations & are considered country songs. However, I disagree with that.

Back in the 60's there were only about 3 or 4 genres of music. Pop which was your old Andy Williams style which was the genre from back in the 40's.
Then came Rock & Roll in the 50's. Then came Rock in the 60's. If it wasn't Pop, Country or Rock & Roll, it was considered Rock. Again, this was everything from the beach Boys to The Animals & the Rolling Stones.
In the 70's much more diverse music started coming out & that's when they started coming up with more names & genres. Motown, R&B, Disco etc... Since then, every year, someone comes up with a new genre that genetically came from Rock music.
Dont get me wrong, it wasn't just the rock genres that got busted up. Country music did the same thing.
In the 50's Pop was actually accepted by a lot of country audiences. It wasn't uncommon for a Pop star (again like Andy Williams) to perform of a main stream Country TV show Or on the Grand Old Opry stage/show (which is traditionally hard core Country). Even artists like Jim Reeves & Ray Price were doing both Pop & Country stuff along with crossover Pop/Country hits.
There was also "Country & Western" in the 50's & 60 like Roy Rogers for example. Then in the 60's C&W kinda gave way to main stream Country. In the 70's People like Barbra Mandrell came out & began to change it to progressive country. Then there was adult Contemporary Country. Then there were artists like Hank Williams JR who started a genre like Southern Rock which is a Country Genre but swings the industry into a whole new Country category. Even Lynard Skynard was considered Southern Rock (at that time, I would have put Skynard in a Rock genre & still would if I had to pic a specific category). It has continued to change to the point now where some country artists are sounding more like Rap... putting some changes in there of more talk/rhyming than traditional singing (& that just pisses me off).

Sorry to get off on a rant of music genre history. I was just going to indicate that your talking about two different genre's when you're talking about 70 - 90's. One is R&B and the later is RnB. Some may put it in the same category & that's fine. Some people will also put Motown in a Pop category too, so........

FWIW, I aint judging or stirring. I am just stating my belief & what I know about music through my 55 years from the 50's to some basic current music knowledge. :)

KLH
07-05-2014, 12:07 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dixieland DJ again.
Well... wouldn't 'cha know...