PDA

View Full Version : Questions about TSP2 - CDJ Set-up

Soulfax
06-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Hello! I'm thinking about purchasing an Audio 6 with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to use on any CDJs.

Questions:

1. Am I right in saying that I'll be able to use the DVS on any set of CDJs with the correct cables? I'm confused with which Pioneer CDJ models allow direct USB connection to my laptop and which CDJ models require RCA cables + Audio 6 to the mixer. EDIT: What is HID? Will I need 4 RCAs AND 2 USB cables, or have both just in case? :freak:

2. Is a Traktor Kontrol X1 necessary for me to fully utilize Scratch Pro 2, or can i simply map the useful functions to my laptop keyboard? I'm not into effects 'n that sort, but I do use the SEEK function often to stay in phase.

Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: A bit off-topic, but since I'm buying new gear -- are high quality USB and RCA cables necessary? Oyaide has some nice-looking cables, but I've no clue as to whether or not they make a difference in sound quality or durability.

DJ Highline
06-18-2014, 01:43 AM
1. If you buy Traktor Scratch Pro with the Audio 6 or 10, you will be able to use it with any CD player or turntable. The Audio 6, conveys the timecode that comes on the included CD and record so that the computer can use it to control the file. I believe that all current Pioneer models have soundcards and are HID compatible with Traktor (somebody correct me if I am wrong). You will not need the built in soundcards as you have an audio 6 interface. However the HID will be handy as it will allow for the most part, a one to one mapping of controls that are on the CDJ to controls in Traktor. And to answer your question, HID stands for Human Interface Device and is just another control protocol. So if you are running your CDJs in HID mode with an Audio 6, you will need 4 RCA cables and 3 USB cables (1 for audio 6 and 1 for each CDJ).

2. You do not need an X1. If you have CDJs with HID or MIDI control then for the most part an X1 is redundant. An X1 is really handy when you are either using CD players or turntables that don't have any sort of MIDI or HID capability or if you want to use it as a standalone controller for controlling playback in Traktor.

As far as cables go, getting nice stuff is always recommended, but I have never went out of my way to get highend cables and I haven't had any problems. SO save your money and just get normal quality cables and you'll be fine.

DJ Difficult
06-18-2014, 03:14 AM
From Pioneer cdj line, only 2000's and 900's are HID capable with Traktor. All others works only as a midi controller. Someone who knows better can correct me but HID means that data moves in both ways, from player to computer and back. Midi only sends. So in HID mode you have track information, waveforms etc. on your players screen.

Soulfax
06-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Ohh okay! Thanks for the speedy responses! :D

So to clarify more...

1. If the CDJs are 900 & 2000 (nexus & non-nexus) all i need are 2 USB cables to connect my laptop w/ Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to CDJs, right?

2. With HID mode, I can fully utilize all the features of TSP2, yes?

3. Is it practical to connect an Audio 6 with the RCA cables AND run TSP2 in HID mode with the 2 USBs into the CDJs? Which do you prefer?

djmickyk
06-19-2014, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't bother with the audio 6 personally, unless you want to add a vinyl timecode setup at some point,you would be better putting the money towards a quality mixer.

DJ Highline
06-19-2014, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't bother with the audio 6 personally, unless you want to add a vinyl timecode setup at some point,you would be better putting the money towards a quality mixer.

Traktor Z2 can be had used for about $500US or wait and see if NI puts them back on sale again for $600. The only downside to having the audio interface built in is that you have to take the mixer with you...everywhere.

Finnish_Fox
06-19-2014, 10:14 AM
So if you are running your CDJs in HID mode with an Audio 6, you will need 4 RCA cables and 3 USB cables (1 for audio 6 and 1 for each CDJ).

Hmm, I was under the impression that to run in HID you would need USBs for each CDJ and a USB for the A6 but then the only RCAs you'd need are from the A6 to your amp?

I must be missing something... I don't ever use HID, but I thought that all the communicating between the laptop and the CDJ was done over USB and the sound itself goes from the laptop to A6.