PDA

View Full Version : Any other day but Saturday?

jazzyj
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
As I've said, I have a goal to go full-on with the Mobile DJ biz over the next year or so.

One thing that concerns me, is that 98% of my gigs are on Saturdays. There are only 52 Saturdays in a year. Even if I was booked all 52 of those saturdays and charged $500 for every single one, that's only $26,000. Minus gear, music scripts, gas, insurance, taxes, advertising, etc. it aint much.

My issue is we mainly do weddings, but VERY few people want to book their weddings or even parties on any other day of the week. And I totally understand. The majority of America still works a M-F schedule, and having it on Saturday is the ideal situation with not working that day or the day after.

Is there anything you all do to get booked on other days?

The only thing I've thought of so far is to run a discounted price for Mon-Thur, especially focusing in November/December looking for those Corporate holiday parties.

But otherwise, I'm at a loss. I figure if I'm not available on a Saturday, they're gonna move to the next DJ who is booked on Saturday, and there is no low supply of DJ's in the area, so thinking that eventually all DJ's in the area will get booked for any particular Saturday, doesn't give me much hope that they're going to call for a Friday or Sunday wedding.

Thoughts, ideas, chastisement, criticism, bashing... carry on. Lemme know ;)

windspeed36
03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
If I were you I'd look at broadening your horizons and looking into not just DJing but providing hire equipment and events catering. I've got regular gigs during the school holidays doing 5 shows a week (3 blocks of 2 weeks and 1 block of 6-12weeks) providing lighting and sound for a Michael Jackson kids tribute show. Unfortunately the entire entertainment industry is slowly going down hill due to the lack of money in peoples pockets so those of us who provide a quality service are being cut out by the lower quality DJ's and hire companies.

Ampedproductions
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Be the best in your area and charge a premium?

jazzyj
03-19-2012, 08:05 PM
True - I thought about that as well. I have a lot more experience to gain to be the "best" but I certainly am working towards it. I seem to have one of the better personalities at least so far - people feel really comfortable with me and trust me with their events. BUT... much to be learned :)

Sween
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Do what I do... DJ on Saturday and work another job during the week...

Even your most seasoned professional DJ's are going to have trouble booking a Tuesday.

For every 100 calls you get, 65 will be on a Saturday, 20 on a Friday, 14 on a Sunday, and 1 any other day of the week.

Da Animal
03-19-2012, 08:45 PM
move out of just djing and look at karaoke, trivia, etc etc that can be done at the bars during the week... look at production for ad campaigns for local companies, make the music mixes for your local photogs to put with their photo dvds, there are other areas to explore. I have just added 2 photo booths that are getting as many hits as I am and I rent that out for 650.00 an event, pay an attendant $100 for 4 hours and pocket most of the rest. It just depends on where you want to stop!

windspeed36
03-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Also - have you got a decent sound system? 16 or 22channel desk, comps, DI's, 57's, 58's, D112's, plenty of cable and stands? and 5-6 wedges? Look into providing sound for live bands....

RodneyL
03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Do what I do... DJ on Saturday and work another job during the week...

Even your most seasoned professional DJ's are going to have trouble booking a Tuesday.

For every 100 calls you get, 65 will be on a Saturday, 20 on a Friday, 14 on a Sunday, and 1 any other day of the week.

Im not even attempting to do the math. :freak:

move out of just djing and look at karaoke, trivia, etc etc that can be done at the bars during the week... look at production for ad campaigns for local companies, make the music mixes for your local photogs to put with their photo dvds, there are other areas to explore. I have just added 2 photo booths that are getting as many hits as I am and I rent that out for 650.00 an event, pay an attendant $100 for 4 hours and pocket most of the rest. It just depends on where you want to stop!

This is probably your answer, Jazz. It requires more investment. But with Karaoke, you could pick up some week night bar gigs and maybe some week night birthday parties.

I doubt you will have many weeks when you are booked 5/7 nights... so maybe a part time job on the side might still be in order. I think it all depends on your market.

Divercity
03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
$26,000 a year? Fuck yea!

If I could produce music all day everyday and earn 26,000 a year I would be stoked. It would be a huge difference compared to having a full time job but at-least I would love it.

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 07:35 AM
All great ideas!! I'm definitely not opposed to a part-time job. Especially if it still involves the music - whether it be a standing gig at a local bar, or providing sound for various events at venues around the way, or even a part-time seasonal gig during tax season (i do accounting) :)

I have a good job now, M-F. But I sit at a desk all day; doing accounting. Which I don't mind. But I feel certain that getting out from behind this desk will benefit my health and add years to my life.

One other thing I just thought of, providing sound to political candidate parties/soirees/etc. :)

If I could produce music all day everyday and earn 26,000 a year I would be stoked. It would be a huge difference compared to having a full time job but at-least I would love it.

I mean after initial couple of years, might be okay, but I really need to bump it up higher so I can invest more in bigger, better, new equipment as I go. I do have my husband's salary too - but of course, we also have a mortgage, but we'll see how it goes :)

Sween
03-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Who can live on $26k a year? I've got 3 kids, and $26k would be below the poverty line. In order to justify quitting my day job I would want to be raking in over $75k after expenses. It's doable but I would need to net $2000 per week, every week. So that's two weddings per week and I'm good... Not as easy as it sounds though. Two a week is hard to book, and I never can fill EVERY single weekend.

Divercity
03-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Who can live on $26k a year? I've got 3 kids, and $26k would be below the poverty line. In order to justify quitting my day job I would want to be raking in over $75k after expenses. It's doable but I would need to net $2000 per week, every week. So that's two weddings per week and I'm good... Not as easy as it sounds though. Two a week is hard to book, and I never can fill EVERY single weekend.

Very true. In that case that situation would not work for you. In my case however I could easily survive with 26k a year because I have no family, intense expenses etc.

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Yah exactly Sween. I'm taking a very cautious approach before I do anything serious :) But also exploring every avenue. I'd rather be scared to death about doing this venture (as I am :) ) rather than throw caution to the wind and say just do it. I'm just not that young anymore lol

Divercity
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Actually. Don't see this as rude. How old are you jazzy and Sween?

I'm sure you both could make it work. I had a friend that started their own wedding business 2 years ago and they managed to live off jack all and they have a family.

They are doing really well now. Im sure there is a way to make it work!

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Actually. Don't see this as rude. How old are you jazzy and Sween?

I'm 37.. gah. for some reason that sounds old - just turned. I liked 36 much better :)

I don't have kids, just me and the hubby, and I don't think we're planning to do any adoption. We're good at cutting back on lifestyle expenses - we both used to be top mgt at hospitality companies but decided to chuck it after not having a life. So we been there did that. But neither of us has ever done work that is not a consistent paycheck every 2 weeks. That's the scary part. The mortgage man still comes for us every month, even if the Brides of Kentucky don't! lol

But to work for yourself? And do something you're so very passionate about? man. It's so enticing. But I am a thinker kind of person and I analyze a lot before jumping into stuff - and probably do way too much research. But more is better than none right? :) lol

Divercity
03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm 37.. gah. for some reason that sounds old - just turned. I liked 36 much better :)

I don't have kids, just me and the hubby, and I don't think we're planning to do any adoption. We're good at cutting back on lifestyle expenses - we both used to be top mgt at hospitality companies but decided to chuck it after not having a life. So we been there did that. But neither of us has ever done work that is not a consistent paycheck every 2 weeks. That's the scary part. The mortgage man still comes for us every month, even if the Brides of Kentucky don't! lol

But to work for yourself? And do something you're so very passionate about? man. It's so enticing. But I am a thinker kind of person and I analyze a lot before jumping into stuff - and probably do way too much research. But more is better than none right? :) lol

Bah what you talking about willis? Still young. You are old when you live in a rest-home, shit your diaper and have to eat a everything bran.

Well that is ok. What my friends did was hold down a fulltime job while building up their own business. Yea its alot of work but it pays off in the end. Slowly make the transition and go from there. Even with a mortgage you can make it work. There is no point going through life in my view wishing you made the leap to what you love the most. I challenge you to take a risk and turn your 9-5 into your own time.

Those that have dead end jobs and hate what they do have no excuses than to blame themselves for not taking risks and investing in the time to follow their dreams. Even if it doesn't work out then atleast you tried!

Yes as you can tell. This subject really gets on my nerve's because of the fact that people these days are so comfortable and worried about a lifestyle change that they don't make the plunge. Yea its scary, When I was talking to my friends they were incredibly stressed and worried where their paycheck was going to come from but they say that once you push through that and pay your due's they are loving life and doing what they are passionate about.

You only have one life and when you look back over the years doesn't it go rather quickly? Might aswell try!

./rant

Sween
03-20-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm 36, with 3 kids, and a mortgage on a (small) $300k house. Cost of living is pretty high in my area. My wife works and does well, but has $200k in student loans (payments equate to a second mortgage). I also work as an engineer.

Could we make it work on less? Probably.

Do I want to? No.

Divercity
03-20-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm 36, with 3 kids, and a mortgage on a $300k house. My wife works and does well, but has $200k in student loans (payments equate to a second mortgage). I also work as an engineer.

Could we make it work on less? Probably.

Do I want to? No.

Well then that is your choice. Aslong as you are happy in your situation then I'm going to support that. I just get so pissed at people that never try and make their situation work so that they can fulfill their dreams and complain about some stupid factor that stopped them. I mean the fact that you end up living in the western world and not a 3rd world country in itself is something to be stoked about. Doesn't that make you want to get as much out of your life while you are on earth?

Edit: Changed a sentence to have more description.

Sween
03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Once you are settled in to a certain lifestyle it is hard to change...

Would I be happier without my day job? Maybe.

Would I be happier with less income? No.

Would it be smart to give up a day job that I have been at for 13 years and worked my way up the ladder to Senior Engineer making good money in today's world where I should be lucky to have a job at all? Probably not.

Would my wife kill me if I quit the day job? Yes, she would most certainly would.

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Bah what you talking about willis? Still young. You are old when you live in a rest-home, shit your diaper and have to eat a everything bran.
You only have one life and when you look back over the years doesn't it go rather quickly? Might aswell try! ./rant

Yeah we had a discussion about old age last night. My husband is fully supportive of this endeavor, but he has his reservations too. He said do you really want to be a Mobile DJ at 50? I said SURE! My biggest competition is a guy and his wife - the man must be knocking on like early 70's and he makes more money (at least from what i see on gigmasters) than I do in my full-time job and DJ combined. But who knows what the future will bring - either way, I plan to be jamming til I die, and my funeral better be full of music even!

Would my wife kill me if I quit the day job? Yes, she would most certainly would.

lol and there is the big kicker!!! But I totally agree. For me, marriage is a total partnership. If you can't support each other's decisions, then you got issues. I wouldn't do this without the full support of my husband. And if he said no, then I'd know that there are reasons why, and we would discuss them, and I would work through those issues, and figure it out. But if we couldn't agree on it? I definitely would not go through with it.

Ampedproductions
03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I was thinking about it seriously a year ago. We do 2 a week for most of the summer, and with me not working could have done 3. Plus I was in a band that was pulling in 1000-1500/gig.

Alas life had other plans for me, which are probably for the best.

DJMC
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
for me --- there are 40 Saturdays per year that I can book. At $1k (average) per show, that's $40k gross.

But wait, there's my overhead! (About $2k per year)
My subs (the Independent Contractors) handle overbookings -- there are potentially 20 of these "extra gigs" annually. I get $200 retainer, the subs get the balance of the event (usually $800). (200 x 20 = $4000.00 - $2000 overhead = $2k profit)

So in a good year, I can expect to make $42k. But I'm a slacker and will occasionally black out some prime weekends to go "on vacation" with my spouse (who makes $125k per year in the financial industry).

Meaning, I will average $3k (net) per month --- still respectable for someone who works 10-12 hours per week!!!

DJRockinRob
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Maybe start a rental company or something similar. There are plenty of ways to make extra money. I currently run my own company down here in texas which is a full on production and DJ company and I'm reeling in close to 90k with just that along. Still leaves me time to spend with family and friends. To make money you have to spend money.

God Bless

jazzyj
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
for me --- there are 40 Saturdays per year that I can book. At $1k (average) per show, that's $40k gross.

But wait, there's my overhead! (About $2k per year)
My subs (the Independent Contractors) handle overbookings -- there are potentially 20 of these "extra gigs" annually. I get $200 retainer, the subs get the balance of the event (usually $800). (200 x 20 = $4000.00 - $2000 overhead = $2k profit)

So in a good year, I can expect to make $42k. But I'm a slacker and will occasionally black out some prime weekends to go "on vacation" with my spouse (who makes $125k per year in the financial industry).

Meaning, I will average $3k (net) per month --- still respectable for someone who works 10-12 hours per week!!!

Maybe start a rental company or something similar. There are plenty of ways to make extra money. I currently run my own company down here in texas which is a full on production and DJ company and I'm reeling in close to 90k with just that along. Still leaves me time to spend with family and friends. To make money you have to spend money.

God Bless

You two are definitely living the dream!!! Congrats!! ...granted my spouse doesn't make anywhere near $125K :) but then our cost of living is much less... $300K house? wow.