PDA

View Full Version : Serato gain issue after swapping Mixers

mynmisoli
03-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I upgraded from an old Tascam to a Rane empath mixer. When I did so, the gain set thru auto gain in Serato was way too high and the sound that came out was distorted. now to have a track even sound normal, i have to turn the gain in Serato ALL the way down. I checked the gain on the mixer itself and it was at a normal 12 oclock setting. At first I thought this was because of some extra power from the newer and better mixer but I remember having played on a Rane 56 and never had to change my gain at all in serato. What could be causing this issue?

DTR
03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Are you plugged into the Phono inputs instead of Line? I run Serato into an Empath without having to turn down the gain in Serato.

Btw, there is no "normal" gain setting on the mixer, it's whatever suits. I don't know why Rane put a centre click on the gain pots (economy of using the same pots for EQ and Gain?), there's no need for it.

mynmisoli
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Are you plugged into the Phono inputs instead of Line? I run Serato into an Empath without having to turn down the gain in Serato.

Btw, there is no "normal" gain setting on the mixer, it's whatever suits. I don't know why Rane put a centre click on the gain pots (economy of using the same pots for EQ and Gain?), there's no need for it.

Oh I forgot to say that I'm using turntables and not CD players. yes theyre plugged in correctly. I basically copied the exact setup that I had with my old mixer in so it should have just been plug and play. Also in Serato, the songs usually had the gain around the 11 oclock to 1 oclock position. Now I have to turn it down to the 7 oclock position which is next to no gain in serato.

DTR
03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
How does it sound with the gain turned down in Serato? If it sounds ok then roll with it

mynmisoli
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM
It sounds perfectly fine but this is kind of an annoying issue because when I practice at home, I have to turn all of the songs down everytime I load them. When I play at a gig, I have to turn the gain up to get any sort of bass. Its just that I've played on about 6 different mixers with serato and this is the only one I've had this issue with.

Fusic
03-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Wierd, I've never changed SSL track gains because of using a different mixer. Is there still master gain you can change instead of all the individual track gains - I know it was top left in the early versions but think its gone/moved.

It does sound like a wiring issue but failing that perhaps the ground connection or even the thresholds in the setup view?

mostapha
03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Never had that issue.

Are you sure you plugged it in right? What's the PFL meter peaking at when only one channel is cued?

Andrew B
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Oh I forgot to say that I'm using turntables and not CD players. yes theyre plugged in correctly.

Into line not phono, right?

mynmisoli
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
phono. You're only supposed to plug turntables into phono right?

VjQue
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Do you have auto gain on and set. Sounds like it might be off or not set right. After I got my 62 I rescaned all my tracks cause the new mixers are cleaner sounding.

Andrew B
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
phono. You're only supposed to plug turntables into phono right?

Phono in on your SL-*, line in on your mixer.

Drevo
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
if you are running serato you always plug the serato box output into line. Yes you are using turntables but the SL Box produces a line level output

djdecibel
03-20-2012, 06:07 PM
If you use a Rane 57, 61, 62, 68 use the phono input

Andrew B
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
If you use a Rane 57, 61, 62, 68 use the phono input

He's not.

mynmisoli
03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
So I double checked my system and yes, everything is set up correctly. Turntables to phono in on the mixer and from the mixer to line on my SL1 serato box. This is the only way that sound actually comes out clearly. The problem still persists tho. I still cannot have any gain at all in my serato.

Andrew B
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
So I double checked my system and yes, everything is set up correctly. Turntables to phono in on the mixer and from the mixer to line on my SL1 serato box. This is the only way that sound actually comes out clearly. The problem still persists tho. I still cannot have any gain at all in my serato.

That's wrong. Turntables to phono ins on SL1, SL1 to line ins on mixer.

Era 7
03-24-2012, 03:06 PM

:facepalm: maybe you should consult your manual

http://serato.com/articles/scratchlive/3457/connecting-the-rane-sl-3

mynmisoli
03-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Oops sry about that. yes everything is set up to the way it says in the SL1 manual. Maybe it's just s problem with the mixer.

mostapha
03-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Once again, what is the PFL meter peaking at?

mynmisoli
03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Here I made a video to show you guys what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uC_JjfEPT0&feature=plcp&context=C496c559VDvjVQa1PpcFMEtMs_HAeXO03hJ_7aVVBw 0nM8JQntrYs%3D

Andrew B
04-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Here I made a video to show you guys what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uC_JjfEPT0&feature=plcp&context=C496c559VDvjVQa1PpcFMEtMs_HAeXO03hJ_7aVVBw 0nM8JQntrYs%3D

And you're hooked up to the line inputs on your mixer? You didn't show the connections to your mixer, which is what we've all been talking about.

mynmisoli
04-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Ahhhhh. Ok, it was going into phono in the back. switched the inputs to line and now everything is good. I was confused because in the setup of serato, I have to select phono and because of that, I thought i needed to connect it to phono in the mixer as well. Thanks a bunch folks. Problem fixed. Sry for the slowness of my brain.

Andrew B
04-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Ahhhhh. Ok, it was going into phono in the back. switched the inputs to line and now everything is good. I was confused because in the setup of serato, I have to select phono and because of that, I thought i needed to connect it to phono in the mixer as well. Thanks a bunch folks. Problem fixed. Sry for the slowness of my brain.

:lol: Reading the first reply in this thread would've fixed your problem!

Are you plugged into the Phono inputs instead of Line?

Are you sure you plugged it in right?

Into line not phono, right?

Phono in on your SL-*, line in on your mixer.

if you are running serato you always plug the serato box output into line. Yes you are using turntables but the SL Box produces a line level output

Turntables to phono ins on SL1, SL1 to line ins on mixer.

And you're hooked up to the line inputs on your mixer?

mynmisoli
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Alright. Thank You. Hope everyone has a good laugh at my expense.