PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand techno

sephi
06-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I didn't "get" hardcore and hardstyle until I was at a hardcore/hardstyle show and saw people going crazy to it. "Ohhhh, you're not supposed to listen to it while coding, you're supposed to get wild and jump/dance to it." So I can "get" it and enjoy it for what it is now. Same for deep house; it's supposed to just be head bobbing and smooth and kind of be background music for a good time, so when I was approaching it like I approached trance and breaks and so on, I didn't get it at first. It was only when I saw DJs use it to warm up the room and provide a soundtrack for the night - seeing heads bob, seeing the DJ use a lot of effects to spice it up and create tension - that I "got" it, and now I appreciate it for what it is.

Techno has never clicked with me, though. I know several DJs and producers IRL who love it. They'll spin it all night, and they are on the techno train like how most people are on the big room and trap train at the moment. But I don't get it at all. I never see anyone get wild to techno, and it doesn't seem to cause the head-bobbing subconscious groovy thing that I see deep house doing. Not to light a fire here, but it honestly just sounds like cold, clinical loops from vintage drum machines. It all just sounds very primitive. I can listen to some techno and understand that it's well-mastered and such, but I don't hear what my techno-head friends are hearing.

What does everyone here like about techno? Help me "get" it.

Adzm00
06-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Who are you listening to where it all sounds cold and clinical?

The beauty of techno is it is so much more diverse than almost any other genre, taking its roots from disco and described as houses evil twin, how it can just be cold and clinical is if you are just listening to a specific type of techno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaFJGvwaczU

Amadeus
06-04-2014, 06:26 AM

The beauty of techno is it is so much more diverse than almost any other genre, taking its roots from disco and described as houses evil twin, how it can just be cold and clinical is if you are just listening to a specific type of techno.

Amazing set this one, great pick.

Amadeus
06-04-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure what your listening to to say it's all cold and clinical.

I don't think I could describe any of the Techno I like as being that, its anything but that.

Adzm00
06-04-2014, 06:47 AM
I could, there is a load of this "berghain shite" which to me is pretty industrial and hard for the sake of being hard, no real feeling to it. But there is bad music in all genres. As a whole techno is pretty much what you want it to be.

Also, re: Rob Hood BR set, it's brilliant except for when the boiler room dickhead interrupts, especially when plastikman - spastic is playing, he just needs to GTFO.

sephi
06-04-2014, 11:28 AM

Good video, that stuff was really funky and energetic. I think maybe I've just been listening to a style of techno that's really "industrial", not this disco-y stuff. Most of the techno I've heard lately didn't have as much "movement" in the sound, was a bit more atonal or dissonant. Sounds like I have just been listening to the wrong examples.

What makes techno so diverse? Are there just a bunch of subgenres I haven't explored? Anywhere I should be looking to get exposed to a wider selection?

Adzm00
06-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Techno works on so many levels, that is why it is diverse. You could put an acid bassline on a techno track and it will work, you could put a housey piano in it and it will work, you could chop up a disco track or a hiphop track and put that into it, and it will work.

I think part of it is because the building blocks of techno are so fundamental in electronic music (same with house) that it works with a lot of stuff, but because you can have really floaty downtempo techno or really aggressive fast hard stuff, there is the ability for multiple other genres to be taken in.

There is so much techno out there I could tell you to start from a million different places, but there is one place I think you should personally start and that is the beginning. Respect for the history of music I think breeds passion and furthers your drive and ultimately creativity.

Techno does have a ton of sub-genres, and from techno and house spawned pretty much everything else, they are like the building blocks of dance music. I’ll leave you with a techno documentary everyone should watch, and from there I am pretty sure you can carve out your own path as to how you learn about it, which I personally think is the best way to approach techno.

But do feel free to ask whatever questions you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDMoI0ExS8

Ocie
06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
How have I not listened to that Boiler Room set by Hood? Holy shit.

Edit* I'll rep you when I spread some around.

Adzm00
06-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Hahaha ;)

It's pretty damn awesome. Gets better as it goes on imo.

Ocie
06-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Oh, I agree. If only I could play it on the office speakers. I guess my laptop speakers will have to suffice for now. :(

Adzm00
06-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I am still in the bloody office too :argh:

Headphones on though.

sephi
06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Adzm00 again."

Great links. Glad I brought the 770s to work today. :D

Ocie
06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I am still in the bloody office too :argh:

Headphones on though.

Ouch. And you're 6 hours ahead of me lol. I always forget my headphones. We're allowed to play music, but it's always top 40 shit (the gals in the office like it... so I try to drown it out).

Adzm00
06-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Yeah man, it sucked. Just trying to rack up some overtime hours before I have to pay stupid amounts to move house in a few months!!

That said it is not so bad if I am really busy and I can put a load of music on. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Houtek
06-05-2014, 05:54 AM
I really like the darker and more mechanic Techno which is played in clubs like Berghain, Lehmann in Stuttgart or Bootshaus in Cologne. I've never been to Techno clubs outside of Germany. My girlfriend hates electronic dance music so no plan to do a vacation and go to a club someday.

Just started to listen to the Robert Hood set, really cool. Even with iPhone headphones at work.

Edit: Found a great set of Len Faki at Boiler Room Berlin. This is the music I really love. Nodding head, body full of energy with makes me wanna dance through the office ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRI3b2SX8c

Adzm00
06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Len Faki one is already, heard WAY better sets from him though.

ksound
06-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Also since this is a dj forum
Imo techno is the funnest of the mixing genres to spin, there is more to mess around with (especially with multiple decks) and gives more of a sense of creating something new rather than just stringing tracks together

And as others said diversity, it can get really hard and ghetto or be really pretty and melodic or cold and minimal
also it tends to be more experimental in its structure and construction and also its sound palette

Fultron
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Wow OP, your friends perception on music.. sucks.

"Ohhhh, you're not supposed to listen to it while coding, you're supposed to get wild and jump/dance to it." So I can "get" it and enjoy it for what it is now.

you're not supposed to listen to it while _______. are you fking kidding me?

+1 This set right here. Gold.

back on subject. I would have to say the atmosphere techno creates is my favorite thing. the diversity and range of sound creates endless possibilities from groovy to fist pumping, and everything in between. Great fun to mix too.

Catch22
06-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Really enjoyed the Len Faki boiler room. The guy is a don.

As Adam already said techno is so wildly diverse, I would say more than any other genre.

Adam when you say 'hard for the sake of being hard' that's the point! :D

Adzm00
06-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Adam when you say 'hard for the sake of being hard' that's the point! :D

But I don't like it ;)

I like some funkiness or melody!

contra
06-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Would totally rep you for this post!

And I love cold, mechanical techno :D

Adzm00
06-10-2014, 06:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvpc5l-7-RY

;)

Funk and Soul with banging techno, it works.

Ocie
06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
;)

*shameless self promotion*

:P

Adzm00
06-10-2014, 10:16 AM
It's gotta be done ;)

I made that after we started talking about it the other day.

Baller95
06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

That was unbelievably boring. I actually thought Techno was better than that!

Baller95
06-13-2014, 08:01 PM
This is what I thought techno was lol.

http://youtu.be/3mIomYylMj0

ZoommaiR
06-14-2014, 12:40 AM
This is what I thought techno was lol.

http://youtu.be/3mIomYylMj0

This. Nothing against the set previously posted, I liked it, but when I think of Techno, I think of stuff like Happy Hardcore and 90's rave music, that fast bpm going oonz oonz oonz oonz *fist pumping*

ZoommaiR
06-14-2014, 12:49 AM
like....

http://youtu.be/saZeWU4upW4

or

http://youtu.be/2HQaBWziYvY

I'm a little outdated on Techno though, haha

Catch22
06-14-2014, 03:13 AM
This. Nothing against the set previously posted, I liked it, but when I think of Techno, I think of stuff like Happy Hardcore and 90's rave music, that fast bpm going oonz oonz oonz oonz *fist pumping*

Shows how little you actually know about music

jake16
06-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Bart Skils, anyone?

https://soundcloud.com/bart-skils/bart-skils-awakenings-festival-drumcode

DJNR
06-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Shows how little you actually know about music

How's your flannel and big rimmed glasses?

Just because he doesn't know a genre doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about music.

Adzm00
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Yeah but Baller, you know nothing.

I mean you like the selfie song ffs, so don't get offended if I think your opinion is worth nothing.

Adzm00
06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm a little outdated on Techno though, haha

Neither of which are, or have ever been techno.

Catch22
06-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Just because he doesn't know a genre doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about music.

Lol. Let me re phrase. It shows ignorant you are Baller. He slags it off, but in reality hasn't got a fucking clue. I didn't say he doesn't know ANYTHING. He knows a load of shite.

Adzm00
06-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Doesn't know who De La Soul are.

Adzm00
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Thinks Euro Trance is Techno.

Only plays top40 remixes.

= No taste, no style, just instant gratification shit for the masses.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 09:36 AM

:lol:

Yeah but Baller, you know nothing.

I mean you like the selfie song ffs, so don't get offended if I think your opinion is worth nothing.

So what? I think it's catchy. I think it's better than the shitty ass techno music posted here. So what if I don't know exactly about a genre I don't like? Now that I know, I dislike it even more. LOL.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the neg rep, Baller. That really hurt.

Are you just gonna ignore me? How can you even base a proper opinion on something and if you have fuck all knowledge about it? Your opinions are actually a load of shite. Layer upon layer.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the neg rep, Baller. That really hurt.

Are you just gonna ignore me? How can you even base a proper opinion on something and if you have fuck all knowledge about it? Your opinions are actually a load of shite. Layer upon layer.

I answered you in my reply to Adzm. You guys posted "real Techno" music which I listened to, and I said that in my opinion, I think it's shit. Your opinions are shittier for thinking mine are shit.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 06:39 PM
I answered you in my reply to Adzm. You guys posted "real Techno" music which I listened to, and I said that in my opinion, I think it's shit. Your opinions are shittier for thinking mine are shit.

Yeah, my opinions are based on something a bit more solid than shit, yours is literally based on shit as you haven't a clue what techno actually is. I didn't actually post any music in this thread.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah, my opinions are based on something a bit more solid than shit, yours is literally based on shit as you haven't a clue what techno actually is. I didn't actually post any music in this thread.

How does me not knowing what "real techno" is mean my opinions are shit? I don't give a flying fuck about techno which is why I don't know much about it. Whatever I listened to that was posted by the other guys is real techno, right? Or are you gonna say that their opinions are shit too because they didn't post the right kind of techno?

Catch22
06-19-2014, 06:56 PM
How does me not knowing what "real techno" is mean my opinions are shit? I don't give a flying fuck about techno which is why I don't know much about it. Whatever I listened to that was posted by the other guys is real techno, right? Or are you gonna say that their opinions are shit too because they didn't post the right kind of techno?

Nah I'm saying your opinion is shit because you don't even know what techno is? How can you form an opinion on something if yo don't know what it is? You thought it was some happy hardcore euro trancey shit, the stereotypical thing that yanks think. You only found out the other day what 'true' techno is so you can't really base an opinion on it, because you clearly haven't listened to very much.

I don't give a flying fuck about 'EDM' but I still know about the DJs, who they are, their productions and their background.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Nah I'm saying your opinion is shit because you don't even know what techno?

What?

Nah I'm saying your opinion is shit because you don't even know what techno? How can you form an opinion on something if yo don't know what it is? You thought it was some happy hardcore euro trancey shit, the stereotypical thing that yanks think. You only found out the other day what 'true' techno is so you can't really base an opinion on it, because you clearly haven't listened to very much.

I listened to the various tracks that were posted and a DJ set. From what I listened to, I concluded that it was in my opinion, shit. There's no need for years of experience to conclude that.

I don't give a flying fuck about 'EDM' but I still know about the DJs, who they are, their productions and their background.

Right... I wasn't talking about the DJ's/Producers from the 70's.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 07:11 PM
What?

I listened to the various tracks that were posted and a DJ set. From what I listened to, I concluded that it was in my opinion, shit. There's no need for years of experience to conclude that.

Right... I wasn't talking about the DJ's/Producers from the 70's.

Well it takes a lot more than a few tracks and a DJ set to judge a whole genre of a music that is incredibly diverse. Unlike 'EDM' which is incredibly monotonous. There's real depth and lots of different styles that is judged to be techno.

Yeah I'm not talking about DJ/Producers from the 70s either. Not too sure what you mean about that, but whatever.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Unlike 'EDM' which is incredibly monotonous.

Funny you mention this because I think the exact same thing for techno.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Funny you mention this because I think the exact same thing for techno.

Yeah hard, minimal, disco infused, deep, detroit, acid, tribal, ambient, funky all sound the same! And that's just some sub-genres off the top of my head.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Yeah hard, minimal, disco infused, deep, detroit, acid, tribal, ambient, funky all sound the same! And that's just some sub-genres off the top of my head.

Yeah and electro house, progressive house, melbourne bounce, trap, etc all sound the same too since they're classified "EDM" music right? I'm being just as ignorant as you are with the opinions. :tup:

Catch22
06-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah and electro house, progressive house, melbourne bounce, trap, etc all sound the same too since they're classified "EDM" music right? I'm being just as ignorant as you are with the opinions. :tup:

Lol, you know fine well what 'EDM' is described as. That's why I always put it in ' '. EDM is this style of electro house that all these big name DJs are playing i.e Hardwell. EDM really stands for ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC, all genres of electronic music come under it truly.

Trap is it's only complete genre as well, and not even very similar. It's not even proper prog house either, just another way of naming your version of electro house as is melbourne bounce. Why don't you post 5 electro house tracks from the last year that show it's diversity within the genre? I'll do the same for techno.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Lol, you know fine well what 'EDM' is described as. That's why I always put it in ' '. EDM is this style of electro house that all these big name DJs are playing i.e Hardwell. EDM really stands for ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC, all genres of electronic music come under it truly.

Trap is it's only complete genre as well, and not even very similar. It's not even proper prog house either, just another way of naming your version of electro house as is melbourne bounce. Why don't you post 5 electro house tracks from the last year that show it's diversity within the genre? I'll do the same for techno.

I put it in quotes as well because I don't really refer to it as EDM myself. Ok, I'll put up 5 electro house tracks. Obviously they're all going to have the hard kicks but that's what electro house is known for. It'll be like me saying techno is all the same because they all have weak ass kick drums throughout the entire song (which they do) lol.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp6B1snpyzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaBeQX3QH6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60C4WvvvCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgMykZWaWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCxwQud4sM

These are Electro House tracks only.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Five tracks that I personally like. Could have chosen tonnes of different shit and I know a lot of folk could have chosen stuff a lot weirder. All techno tracks for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=200tmiDdht0&feature=kp

Over 20 years old, timeless track...

https://soundcloud.com/youriwagenvoord/envoy-dark-manoeuvres-1996

Another track nearly 20 years old... once again timeless. Still gets hammered out. Hardwell's tracks won't be 20 years down the line!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-70iRbP2vk

More recent track with a massive kick, load of rubbish saying techno tracks don't have big kicks haha. I've been out in clubs enough with cracking sound systems to know they are big enough. Not all techno is 4/4 all the time as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJWxytIBJcA

Disco style by the legend that is Ben Sims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWk88gw-NM

Something harder.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Are these all the same sub genre of Techno though?

Catch22
06-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Are these all the same sub genre of Techno though?

It's all techno, this is what I'm getting at. There is a massive amount of shit to go through so to dub techno on a whole as shit is a bit moronic. This 'EDM'/Electro House craze all sounds very similar and that's why I gets so much fucking abuse. This is my way of showing you that techno is more than whatever you think it is.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 08:28 PM
It's all techno, this is what I'm getting at. There is a massive amount of shit to go through so to dub techno on a whole as shit is a bit moronic. This 'EDM'/Electro House craze all sounds very similar and that's why I gets so much fucking abuse. This is my way of showing you that techno is more than whatever you think it is.

Electro House is just a single genre. "EDM" is more than just Electro House. I posted only the Electro House tracks and not everything that's classified EDM music.

Catch22
06-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Nah most people's understanding of 'EDM' is this big room electro house sound! Which is totally moronic as well, but hey we have been over this many a time before.

Baller95
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Nah most people's understanding of 'EDM' is this big room electro house sound! Which is totally moronic as well, but hey we have been over this many a time before.

Lol well I like it and even though I posted 5 Electro House (EDM, Bigroom, whatever you wanna call it), I don't think they sound the same.

Gotta study for exams now though so I'll check out those techno tracks later!

diceallion
06-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Im not a techno enthusiast, but I really enjoyed the tracks you put up catch22.

Adzm00
06-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Im not a techno enthusiast, but I really enjoyed the tracks you put up catch22.

Didn't they all just sound the same though? With weak kick drums?

:ussmug:

Adzm00
06-20-2014, 04:32 AM
Oh and, such a hater baller etc hater etc hater etc.

diceallion
06-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Didn't they all just sound the same though? With weak kick drums?

:ussmug:

Yes, however, me being someone that also enjoys listening to "EDM" I didn't find these techno tracks as redundant as "EDM" can be, but that's just 5 tracks right.

I'm not the best person to argue about all these genres, I truly listen to everything and play most styles of music equally.

I acknowledge everyone's opinion on this whole "EDM" scene, I even get annoyed after about 1 hours worth, when I shop for EDM tunes, I try real hard to find songs that are as different as possible from one another, so when I do play it, I make the best of it. (Mind you, it does give me a very limited collection)

That's all I got to say.

Adzm00
06-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Well at least you have had a listen and appreciate.

What I don't get is why anyone would care what Baller thinks :shrug:

An opinion from anyone who thinks the selfie song is good is instantly meaningless in my eyes :D

Finnish_Fox
06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Lol well I like it and even though I posted 5 Electro House (EDM, Bigroom, whatever you wanna call it), I don't think they sound the same.

Do I need to post that mash-up with 16 electrohaus tracks in the space of a minute that PROVE the big room sound that is charting on beatport sounds the same?

oldbutjacked
06-21-2014, 01:44 AM
Not a fan of a lot of the tech posted in the thread but to each their own. I think of some raver shit with a lot of the tracks posted.

Great techno djs that have slown the bpms down to 122-129 max are where it is at. People who most to techno or jump around look ridiculous. Typical Americans who are new to the scene and call it edm

Check out Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath, Nicole Moudaber, Adam Beyer, Julian Jeweli those are great techno djs

Era 7
06-21-2014, 02:51 AM
Check out Richie Hawtin

great techno djs

:uhoh:

Adzm00
06-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah, a few years ago maybe. Richie is pretty zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

kir mokum
06-21-2014, 02:49 PM
hawtin is one of the greatest techno DJs [was? does he still DJ?]. his sets in the 90s were ridiculous.

oldbutjacked
06-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah, a few years ago maybe. Richie is pretty zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Who are you feeling right now as a techno DJ

oldbutjacked
06-24-2014, 10:22 AM
hawtin is one of the greatest techno DJs [was? does he still DJ?]. his sets in the 90s were ridiculous.

He has a residency on Thursday night at Space which is probably the biggest party the past couple years out there. He plays every where every week. Hawtin has taken music and Djing to a whole different level

Adzm00
06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
To be honest there have been some wicked productions from people like Harvey McKay recently. As for DJs, well the usual Detroit lot are still killing it, but then to listen to online it's not always new sets.

For example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxCkbGWpDEs

Fultron
06-24-2014, 11:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvpc5l-7-RY

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYyEjXttsc

Edit: Jsut noticed Catch22 posted this too! :argh:

Adzm00
06-29-2014, 04:43 AM

fat8ack
07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Just noticed this thread.....lot going on here.

Adzm00
07-08-2014, 03:16 PM
And baller hating on techno...

Fultron
07-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmm yes, I wonder if OP has actually gotten anything out of this thread. He seemed to disappear rather early.

meloman_tech
07-12-2014, 09:53 PM
techno can be described as ... music inspired by machines... technology... that's why its cyclic for example .. the producer feels almost like scientist while producing techno.. the goal is not to create a musical idea unique and memorable with its melody or .. with the lyrics ... but to create unique atmospheres unheard before... combining fx and channels ... to put ur Hi Fi system to the test... to make you experience sound to his full capabilities .

its style determent to perfection the sound as a sense and a physical magnitude and from there comes the primary inspiration of a techno producer.. not like a style that determines its own sound by the base inspired concept of the artist or whoever...

techno its about sound ... and complexity of it... and it has to sound good.. not only to be complex.... the arrangement and the mix down are built with one purpose only ... to prepare the listener for colorful and extraordinary journey into the depths of digital sound.

M!TCH
07-12-2014, 11:27 PM
Oh and, such a hater baller etc hater etc hater etc.

He's just jealous bro.

Techno is one of those genres that to me, is appreciated by those with an actual appreciation for the progression of a mix. Hold on guys, let me take a selfie.

#Teamidiot on the prowl

Btw, to the OP, kudos for asking about the genre. I know shit about techno, but that Robert Hood set on the first page is sick and the thread has been a good read for the most part.

TechnoViking
07-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Unfortunate to see this thread slide down in the murky muddy swamp of Genre bashing, OP asked to understand a genre not to be fed bias opinions and uneducated guesses. Techno has gone through a few evolutions the since the early 90s. Early 90s techno sounds more like rave music whereas late 90s to about 2004 Techno became more tribal and faster. Current day techno is very diverse and cannot easily be compartmentalized as there are many branches and subgenres.

A music genre is not a text book and there is no right answer anyway, its good to attempt to understand a genre and I am sure some of the music posted here has given you (OP) an idea of what the genre is about (in a very broard sense of the word)

And last but not least, House is a feeling its a cliche sentence that everyone has probably heard at least once in there life but sometimes cliches hold true.

Ward33
07-30-2014, 07:54 PM
you either get it or u dont

it can go anywhere it wants to

what is techno

what is love

baby dont hurt me

no more
ohhhhhhhhhhh

Adzm00
07-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Are you drunk?

Ward33
07-31-2014, 02:13 PM
2 excellent documentaries here on this very subject, well worth a watch if you have never seen them....

Universal Techno 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaUCYLoEks&feature=share

and High Tech Soul - The creation of Techno music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDMoI0ExS8&feature=share

if you don't know where this music came from, educate yourselves :)

The Creation of Techno Music
HIGH TECH SOUL is the first documentary to tackle the deep roots of techno music alongside the cultural history of Detroit, its birthplace. From the race riots of 1967 to the underground party scene of the late 1980s, Detroit's economic downturn didn't stop the invention of a new kind of music that brought international attention to its producers and their hometown.

Featuring in-depth interviews with many of the world's best exponents of the artform, High Tech Soul focuses on the creators of the genre -- Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson -- and looks at the relationships and personal struggles behind the music. Artists like Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, Eddie Fowlkes and a host of others explain why techno, with its abrasive tones and resonating basslines, could not have come from anywhere but Detroit.

With classic anthems such as Rhythim Is Rhythim's "Strings of Life" and Inner City's "Good Life," High Tech Soul celebrates the pioneers, the promoters and the city that spawned a global phenomenon.

The film features: Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Eddie (Flashin) Fowlkes, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, John Acquaviva, Carl Cox, Carl Craig, Blake Baxter, Stacey Pullen, Thomas Barnett, Matthew Dear, Anthony "Shake" Shakir, Keith Tucker, Delano Smith, Mike Archer, Derrick Thompson, Mike Clark, Alan Oldham, Laura Gavoor, Himawari, Scan 7, Kenny Larkin, Stacey "Hotwax" Hale, Claus Bachor, Electrifying Mojo, Niko Marks, Barbara Deyo, Dan Sordyl, Sam Valenti, Ron Murphy, George Baker, and Kwame Kilpatrick.

The film's soundtrack includes: Aux 88, Cybotron, Inner City, Juan Atkins, Mayday, Model 500, Plastikman, Rhythim Is Rhythim, and more.

"Bredow's cast of alumni -- the holy trinity of Atkins, May & Saunderson at the front -- fill out this tale with passion, pride and, oddly for music of the future, nostalgia too."
- Dazed and Confused

"An enjoyable education into the music, the city and the main players past, present and future."
-DJ Magazine

"Defines the myths and the magic of Detroit techno from its beginnings right up to how it has evolved to become High Tech Soul."

Ward33
07-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Are you drunk?

usually

diceallion
08-01-2014, 12:04 AM
Still some good answers here. Nice ward, thanks for posting the docs.

Ward33
08-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Still some good answers here. Nice ward, thanks for posting the docs.

no problem man, enjoy. They are two of my favourites music wise :)

monomer
08-02-2014, 07:04 AM
No mention of of "Techno Rebels" by Dan Sicko? (rip)

It really is a great look into the history of the music and how it evolved. Highly recommended.

Ward33
08-02-2014, 11:22 PM
No mention of of "Techno Rebels" by Dan Sicko? (rip)

It really is a great look into the history of the music and how it evolved. Highly recommended.

didnt know about this, thanks

Adzm00
08-03-2014, 06:14 AM
There are loads of great docs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGA3a_8Crs

Fultron
08-04-2014, 12:13 AM
There are loads of great docs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGA3a_8Crs

Good watch. Wish I could have been there in the 90s :(

DJYamAtree
08-05-2014, 04:43 AM

i agree i always thought that was techno. this is too downbeat for my likeing, lol. other than that it is a good mix though.

Mahatma Coat
08-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Why has no one mentioned Surgeon or Regis? These guys make industrial techno and its funky as fuck, they've been going since the early 90s. The Birmingham sound is one of the most important schools of techno, basically Birmingham and Detroit combined results in the 'Berghain' sound, albeit pitched down for mammoth 3 day Berlin parties.

There is a new breed of UK industrial techno DJs/producers, all of them both funky and hard: Truss, AnD, Shifted, Ventress, Karenn, Perc, Blawan etc.

Industrial techno is resolutely not unfunky, nor is it excessively dark; the individual records might be, (see records on MDR vs. Marcel Dettmann sets for a good example) but in the mix its all about the grooves. The conception that harder industrial techno is soulless or lacks funk can only come from people who don't go to the parties and rely on stereotyped assumptions.

Check these mixes for some real nasty, funky shit:

X-m_q0ZPos8

http://factmag-images.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/FACT-mix-Perc-main-2.17.2014.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/factmag/fact-mix-426-perc-feb-14

There's something in the air in the UK, and it doesn't smell very pleasant. Is it the hot odour of amps overheating, speaker cones crumbling under sustained abuse? Or the smell of sweat and stale cigarette smoke clinging to stained carpets, the musk of fight-or-flight responses in cramped basements and dilapidated warehouses?

The industrial techno revolution (http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1774)

Era 7
08-20-2014, 06:22 AM
^

Wells partly attributes his move towards a drier, more spartan sound to being "bored to death" with a predominating "drone techno sound," while Russell bemoans the tendency in much recent techno for it to "crawl up its own arse a little bit, trying to be conceptual, people trying to analyse a deeper meaning [in it]. It's fine if people want to do that, but for me, rave music's never been about that—and I view techno as being rave music."

:slayer: fucking truth.

Adzm00
08-22-2014, 04:41 AM
Industrial techno is resolutely not unfunky, nor is it excessively dark; the individual records might be, (see records on MDR vs. Marcel Dettmann sets for a good example) but in the mix its all about the grooves. The conception that harder industrial techno is soulless or lacks funk can only come from people who don't go to the parties and rely on stereotyped assumptions.

Disagree.

It depends entirely on the DJ.

Let's ignore for a minute any big named DJs, but the industrial sound is being copied by many smaller DJs because it is popular, it's just those DJs wouldn't know how to sneak in a bit of funk with this industrial stuff, so it just ends up being regurgitated industrial noise with a hard kick, nothing else.

There is too much of the sync a load of tracks on top of each other and think that works when it doesn't (imo), it's REALLY boring.

But then you have someone like Ben Sims, when he plays banging industrial sort of techno, it's still pretty good, not my favourite way for him to play but there is a marked difference between those who can and those who can't.

Ward33
08-27-2014, 08:16 PM
+1 on Ben Simms

one of the best

TrueWind
09-12-2014, 10:31 AM
You are all ignorant Fools. Although Techno can be diverse an ethnic, none of you definitely do not know what Techno TRULY is:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101210151856AAgmNR7

:spin::err::hahano:

Adzm00
09-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Fultron
09-12-2014, 04:29 PM
You are all ignorant Fools. Although Techno can be diverse an ethnic, none of you definitely do not know what Techno TRULY is:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101210151856AAgmNR7

My life is a lie.

DJ Bobcat
09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
LOL @ Fultron