PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting up my sound system?

djdran
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
So i had setup my sound equipment for a private party over the weekend. We were pushing the sound system pretty hard but I was keeping an eye on the speakers, and i did notice the subs were starting to peak, but the speaker tops were no where near peaking (very rarely did i see the peak light flash). Then the DJ dropped a song with ALOT of bass, and the sound system cut out for 2 mins (twice), Gahh it sucked...

My current setup is the EV live series speaker setup:

EV live ELX115P (two speaker tops)
EV Live ELX118P (two Subwoofers)

(note: these are powered speakers)

according to the manual, your suppose to connected it like this:

Mixer > subwoofer > speaker tops

Im assuming we overloaded the Subs. My question is, if my sub cuts out, does that mean it'll stop sending signal to my tops? Also, would it be smarter to setup my equipment like this?

Option1:
Mixer > Speaker tops > Subwoofers

Option2:
Mixer Line 1 > Speaker tops
Mixer Line 2 > Subwoofer

Ideally, now that ive learned the limits of my speakers, i wouldn't push them passed their limits. BUT, in the case where its accidently push the sound system too hard, i would still like sound coming out of the speaker tops, when the subs cut out.

your thoughts?

windspeed36
03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
No it won't unless it's wired I correctly. All the signal processing and routing is before the amplifier in the signal chain

djdran
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
No it won't unless it's wired I correctly. All the signal processing and routing is before the amplifier in the signal chain

These are powered speakers.. so it has a built in amp.. so lets say i chain the speakers, if they first speaker blows, wouldn't that knock out all the other speakers chained to it?

windspeed36
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
These are powered speakers.. so it has a built in amp.. so lets say i chain the speakers, if they first speaker blows, wouldn't that knock out all the other speakers chained to it?

Depends what blows inside it - driver, amplifiers or signal processig. Most 2/3 way modern active speakers speakers work in this flow: signal input >signal processing (internal crossover and thru puts) > amplifiers > drivers.

audiopyle
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Try hooking it up through the sub to see what happens if you switch the sub off. If that stops the signal going to the tops, then yes you would probably be better off either running the XLR to your tops first, or use a "Y" cable to split the output from your mixer to the tops & subs. Consider adding one or two more subs to your system if the bass isn't keeping up.

edit - and make sure that you use the highpass filter on the tops when you are running them with subs.

DJHoss
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
The manual wants you to send it to the sub first to use the high pass filter to filter out frequencies ~100Hz that its sending to the tops, and keep everything below ~100HZ at the sub. So, run it to sub then from the sub to the tops. Now, since the HPF is electronic, if you blow the sub (unlikely if you know what youre doin), the electronics will continue to work, sending a signal through the thru outputs and the HPF outputs.

So yes, the system will continue to run if you only blow a driver.

audiopyle
03-20-2012, 12:21 AM
The ELX subs do not have a highpassed output. The highpass filter is in the tops. So it doesn't matter how you route the cable, as you will want full range signal going to each cabinet, where it will be processed appropriately

djdran
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
im thinking it might just be the safest to use option 2??? just put the subs on one channel, and the the tops on the 2ed line...

Option2:
Mixer output 1 > Speaker tops
Mixer output 2 > Subwoofers

and just put it in MONO mode.

would there be anything wrong with this?

that way if i push the subs too hard, i'll still have the speaker tops going...

windspeed36
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes you can run it in mono, however I'd still go for the stereo option and just make sure I don't push it too hard. It may also be worth putting a compressor on your overall output - it would stop major spikes in output particular from a bride or best an dropping the mic or something along those lines....

jlcpremier
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
So i had setup my sound equipment for a private party over the weekend. We were pushing the sound system pretty hard but I was keeping an eye on the speakers, and i did notice the subs were starting to peak, but the speaker tops were no where near peaking (very rarely did i see the peak light flash). Then the DJ dropped a song with ALOT of bass, and the sound system cut out for 2 mins (twice), Gahh it sucked...

My current setup is the EV live series speaker setup:

EV live ELX115P (two speaker tops)
EV Live ELX118P (two Subwoofers)

(note: these are powered speakers)

according to the manual, your suppose to connected it like this:

Mixer > subwoofer > speaker tops

Im assuming we overloaded the Subs. My question is, if my sub cuts out, does that mean it'll stop sending signal to my tops? Also, would it be smarter to setup my equipment like this?

Option1:
Mixer > Speaker tops > Subwoofers

Option2:
Mixer Line 1 > Speaker tops
Mixer Line 2 > Subwoofer

Ideally, now that ive learned the limits of my speakers, i wouldn't push them passed their limits. BUT, in the case where its accidently push the sound system too hard, i would still like sound coming out of the speaker tops, when the subs cut out.

your thoughts?

I actually just got my ELX speakers (same setup as yours) I tried to run the input to the tops first then out to the sub, but I didn't get sound from the sub at that point. It did work when I ran the input to the sub first then to the tops (as recommended in the manual) I have the same concern, I'd more than likely push the sub too hard so it would limit more than the tops would so if that happens I wouldn't want the tops to go out if the sub shut off due to the limiter.

I actually just called EV, cause I was curious about these questions as well...In regards to the wiring. The reason running the input to the tops first didn't work for me is due to the switch on the tops needing to be set to "1+2" If it's only set to "XLR/TRS1" You can't output the signal. So with that set correctly you can run the input to the tops then connect them to the sub. I also asked him if the sound would cut out to the tops if the sub cut out with the recommended wiring (subs first then tops) He said the audio passes through the sub to the tops, so as long as the amp has power (The power switch on the speaker is on) the sound will continue to play through to the tops even if the sub cuts out from the limiter. You mentioned your system cut out completely for 2 min. So when your subs cut out you lost the sound to to your tops too? Did anything else shut off (power outtage, or tripped the breakers) or just your speakers?

djdran
03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
You mentioned your system cut out completely for 2 min. So when your subs cut out you lost the sound to to your tops too? Did anything else shut off (power outtage, or tripped the breakers) or just your speakers?

i had barely any sound coming from the top speaker, like it sound like someone turn the sound from 100% down to 5%, you can barely hear it.. but NOTHING was coming out of the subs..