PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the game, needing new controller

Sammy B
05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
So after about a 10 year hiatus on mixing, I've decided to get back at it. Before I had the CDJ's and all, but that's a bit overkill for me.

Anyways, to keep things inexpensive, I have a couple of things in mind.

I have a buddy with a DDJ-T1 that I can get with a flight case from a buddy of mine for about 500$, but I can probably work something else out since he rarely uses it and generally uses the CDJ's that pretty much live at the club.

Or, I was thinking of the Traktor S4 MK1 as it's pretty cheap these days with the newer model being out.

I'm wanting to keep it on the less expensive side with something I would think would do what is really necessary and not of cheap quality.

KLH
05-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Welcome back! I would skip that T1. It's been discontinued for a while and is now obsoleted by newer Pioneer controllers. As an owner of an original S4, I think that these give you the best value.

If you're running Windows, just be sure to thoroughly test out your laptop for DPC (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml)latencies. It's better to fix those prior to buying a controller.

Pull down the demo of Traktor and start analyzing your library. That way, you'll be ready to go as soon as you authorize Traktor and install the drivers.

One last thing. Make sure the seller deactivates their Traktor registration prior to taking the controller. It's a huge pain to do after-the-fact and may ultimately make you buy a license for Traktor (~$100) if deactivation isn't done.

Sammy B
05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind.