PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into it/Advice for promoting

kipperj
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Hello all! I'm a young mobile DJ who has been on hiatus for a while (because of college) and I was looking for some advice on promoting myself as a DJ. During my break, I have helped several people who were interested in DJing get started with their own businesses. I found out how much of an idiot I was this was after being home for a week during spring break and seeing them taking all of the local jobs. As a "poor college student" I'm looking to get back into business again over the summer and maybe find a steady bar job or something to fill my weekends. I look at ads on Facebook and in local classifieds written by my competition and I think to myself, "Man, that really sucks," or "I can do better." Only problem is, once I sit down to write an ad for myself I draw a blank. I really don't want to take someone else's ad and spruce it up to use as my own. I want to write something original. I'm looking for advice on what to include in an ad like this or even on a Facebook page. I'm not completely sure about writing styles or how to catch peoples' attention. Any help from you guys here on DJF would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to have something in my advertisement that nobody back home has thought of and I'm just not sure what that thing is. I know that sounds sort of vague. Apologies! Does anyone have any other techniques they use to promote themselves? I appreciate anything you guys share!

Just as a side question, has anyone else ever dealt with a situation like this:

As I said above, I helped a few people get into business by doing various things like helping them shop for decent equipment and telling them tricks I've learned. Hell, I've even taken one of them to a few gigs with me to get some experience and PAID THEM! One issue I have is that these guys, who I was once close with, now won't even talk to me because they see me as competition. To me, I think it's quite ridiculous. Business is business, but to not get any sort of thanks from these guys? Maybe I'm out of line. What do you think?

Thanks again for reading! I appreciate any sort of feedback.

DJMC
03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
1) they are not your friends

2) you are obviously smarter than them-- being college educated of course.

My advice is to use the Internet as much as possible.
Get to know HubSpot (web site grader), learn about SEO (search engine optimization).

You don't have to know how to "write" in the usual sense -- you must learn how to
speak "Google". The search engine bots (crawlers) look for key words.

A typical paragraph in your web site would read:

" [your city name] Wedding DJs from [your company name] has disc jockeys and emcees for your [city name or state name] reception event.

We are located in [city name] but service the greater [metro area], our services include [insert key words like "karaoke," "DJs", "lighting" etc]."

Then, as you continue with your text (content) -- continue to sprinkle your key words into the prose, but no more than 7% to 10% of the total word content.

Make your title tags descriptive--- "XYZ Entertainment Home Page" is NOT the title you want, it should say "[your city] wedding DJs, [state name] weddings, Disc Jockeys in (city)."

You need lotsa links to your site. Make sure they are only from pages with similar key words. Like this site, for example. See my signature (below) for an example of how to make an "anchor text" link with BB code. The HTML code is different (uses the < a href> tag).

kipperj
03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input, DJMC. Do you have anything to say about what I should or should not say/include in an advertisement? After people take the hook I'd like to reel them in with something good. I also want to sound professional (obviously). Any tips on certain eye catchers or attention getters that you've seen work before? Thanks again for reading.

RodneyL
03-19-2012, 01:01 PM
You want to do bars and clubs? Or are you going to be pushing for other mobile gigs, like weddings and birthdays? I think promotion is going to greatly vary depending on what you want to do primarily.

kipperj
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm from a small town in the boonies. Because of this, I dont want to limit myself to what types of gigs I can do. Ideally, I'd like to do bars/small parties/ family functions more regularly, since I don't have as much time to prepare for big weddings and things like that. I guess if there's a "universal" way to go about this, I want to find it. Please feel free to stop me if I seem to be looking for something that doesn't exist, haha.

DJMC
03-19-2012, 03:41 PM
OP needs to give us more information.

What state or metro area are you located? That gives us ideas on what your best market could be (weddings, schools, bars/club, etc).

You should at least have a FB page, perhaps you could link to it (if you're really serious about starting a business).

And -- to answer OP's question about what "catches the eye" or makes an impression, its the USP (Unique Sales Point or Unique Selling Point):

Mine is "no cheese" because (in my own area) most DJs are super cheesy. Brides flock to my web site because it promises No Cheese (meaning No Macarena, No YMCA, No Chicken Dance).

The other USP is our high public regard. This comes from experience. (I haven't advertised -- in a conventional sense -- in about 10 years. 50% of my gigs are WOM -word of mouth -- and 50% are off the Internet).

Once you have enough USP's -- you will have them eating out of your hand....no need to pay $$$ for expensive ads, bridal shows, or Yellow Pages. Life is Good!!!

kipperj
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm from northwestern PA. Hours away from any major city. Before when I played, I got business by WOM. People (mostly close family), are telling me to try and get back into it. I do have some sort of reputation, though since I've been out of the game for so long it seems that all the new guys are sucking up all the business. Like I said, I'm a poor college student. I'll start back up doing whatever I have to. I love playing tunes and most importantly, I love seeing clients happy. I just seem to be stuck on ideas that will help me find business. I've considered the FB page idea, but I'm not sure what clients like to see and hear when searching for a DJ. As I said before, people always did the talking for me. Thanks AGAIN for all the help you guys are giving me. It's good to see people are willing to help out a fellow jockey!

RodneyL
03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm from northwestern PA. Hours away from any major city. Before when I played, I got business by WOM. People (mostly close family), are telling me to try and get back into it. I do have some sort of reputation, though since I've been out of the game for so long it seems that all the new guys are sucking up all the business. Like I said, I'm a poor college student. I'll start back up doing whatever I have to. I love playing tunes and most importantly, I love seeing clients happy. I just seem to be stuck on ideas that will help me find business. I've considered the FB page idea, but I'm not sure what clients like to see and hear when searching for a DJ. As I said before, people always did the talking for me. Thanks AGAIN for all the help you guys are giving me. It's good to see people are willing to help out a fellow jockey!

I'm sorry but once again, it depends on the client.

A bride is searching for a DJ with a lot of experience, a professional array of equipment, as well as a likable and professional demeanor. A club owner is looking for a DJ with great mixes and a fresh and current view on the most popular music that will keep people paying a door fee and dancing so hard they get real thirsty.

You really need to decide on what is is you want to do. Can you be both a Club/Bar DJ and a Wedding DJ... yes! Can you cross-promote the two persona's effectively? Not usually. I believe they require different marketing strategies.

kipperj
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
I guess the reason this makes more sense to me is because I'm the only one that knows what kind of music the locals like... sorry about that! Bars from my area are more redneck than anything. I've never played a mix. It all seems to be popular music (country, pop, rock, etc) for no matter what kind of gigs I do. Yes, even weddings are the same. That's why I look at most of them as one in the same. I look and act more classy at weddings, but the music selection for all the different types of gigs are the same, since it's basically all the same type of people. Does that help at all? Or would I still be stuck trying to decide between one or the other?

RodneyL
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
In my opinion, promoting yourself requires you to know your target audience and your demographic. If you want to be "different" than the other DJ's in the area, then you have a few choices. (1) Do what they do... but do it better. Better gear, better lights, better quality. (2) OR do it differently. Perhaps you can find a niche and roll with it? You said you have a lot of "rednecks"... perhaps brand yourself to appeal to that crowd. Southern, country, down to earth. Just brainstorming here.

We can't give you "magical words" that will get you a lot of gigs.... you just need to know yourself, your market, and advertise appropriately.

I mostly market to weddings, as I can make the most money there. I advertise my company as affordable but professional. And I strive to offer competitive pricing but professional setups and workmanship. Those are points that I push in my ads and in my website deign, photographs, and marketing tools.

kipperj
03-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Rodney. I think I'm beginning to realize what kind of thing I should be doing. I was looking past the obvious, and thought about everything way too hard. I think I can find a few ways to relate to my clients and provide people with "confidence" when they see my ads. Thanks all. I think I can get myself on the right path. Man, I love DJF. It's hard to find good help when everyone in my area is so closed minded and geared more towards competition, rather than enjoying what they do and sharing their knowledge.