PDA

View Full Version : Small Questions Thread!

epik1
03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Hoping this gets stickied and helps clean up the section.
Just shoot for quick small questions!
I have one real quick one:

What's your guys' take on playing multiple tracks form the same artist?
Either throughout a set or following another or a combination of the two.

Quentin Legend
03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't really see a problem with it.

But for Top 40 I wouldn't play songs of the same artist back to back, rather play the song a bit later in the set instead of straight after the previous song (of the same artist).

DJ Matt
03-18-2012, 04:20 PM
in salsa Djing ist kind of a no-no in my opinion, sign of laziness on the Djs part, since mixing is not necessary in salsa anyway then track selection is one of the only ways for a dj to show that there is in fact a human being behind the decks :P

in other genres, i also think it need to be kept to a minimum

i guess it all depends on how important Variety is in whatever style you DJ

John Veselsky
03-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Unless they're both big tracks or by a hugely popular artist most people won't notice.

I wouldn't play them back to back though. Just leave a good 30 minutes between the tracks to be safe.

epik1
03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I was just wondering because I find myself doing it when I'm jamming at home, awesome tracks of course don't get me wrong, but part of me felt like I shouldn't be doing it.

KLH
03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
DJs are expected to bring variety to their performances. Repeating tracks and artists is usually frowned upon... unless it's Michael Jackson.

-KLH

Finnish_Fox
03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
How is everyone today?

KLH
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Thirsty. You?

-KLH

Finnish_Fox
03-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Thirsty. You?

-KLH

Not as clever as I thought I was. :shrug:

mostapha
03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I have no problem re-using artists in a mix…up to a point. Then again, one of the reasons I don't spin downtempo and trip hop is that I'd just want to play Portishead and Massive Attack all the time. But when it comes to music I actually DJ, there aren't that many artists that release enough so that it's a problem.

And I don't listen to Albums. That might help. If a house/techno/breaks/etc. artist puts out an album and isn't Daft Punk, Orbital, or Underworld, I just skip the entire thing when I'm shopping for tracks. Which is about the opposite for everything else, because for the music I listen to outside of DJing (Blues, Country, Hip Hop, Industrial) I just about only listen to albums.

And I'm insanely tired…and thirsty…in the "I want to be drunk right now" kind of way.

mann1n
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Variety, keep the crowd wanting to know whats coming next.

*G*.~JerryMoon
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I dont usually spin the same artists one after another I spin mainly electro tracks so i just try to match osngs based on their energy bangers will follow one another for maybe 10 min of the mix then I'll bring it down for a bit and come back up Closest I think I've come to repeating tracks is using a daft punk vocal sample after a daft punk remix .. but then again daft punk are gods so that made it ok in my mind :D

BurntToast
03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Is there any reason not to use the master tempo function on my CDJs? Seems ideal that this feature exists, so not sure why one wouldn't use it unless they wanted to purposely change the key of a song.

XxBooshxX
03-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Quick question, can someone refer me to some good suggested timecoded vinyls?

DJNR
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Quick question, can someone refer me to some good suggested timecoded vinyls?

Depends on your software. You can get Serato and Traktor online at a ton of different retailers.

I have bought from Agiprodj and PSSL.

XxBooshxX
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Does the scratch vinyl make a difference wether your just playing music not even scratching? I'm using serato

epik1
03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I think it's finally time I record a set so ya'll can rip, rail, and flame me on what the hell I'm doing wrong :P

I try not to touch effects and stuff, get down the real "musicality" part of being a DJ, just choosing music like the first Disc Jockeys .

Sigma
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I think it's finally time I record a set so ya'll can rip, rail, and flame me on what the hell I'm doing wrong :P

I try not to touch effects and stuff, get down the real "musicality" part of being a DJ, just choosing music like the first Disc Jockeys .
You a hip-hop DJ? I'm asking cos of your favourite track in your profile. If you are, PM me if you like when you've uploaded that mix and I'll give you some feedback on it.

KLH
03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I think it's finally time I record a set so ya'll can rip, rail, and flame me on what the hell I'm doing wrong
You'll find DJF to be VERY supportive when it actually comes time to reviewing a mix. All of us invest ourselves in our work and it shows. I've found feedback to be positive and encouraging.

By all means, please do submit a mix.

-KLH

epik1
03-29-2012, 07:11 PM
You a hip-hop DJ? I'm asking cos of your favourite track in your profile. If you are, PM me if you like when you've uploaded that mix and I'll give you some feedback on it.
When I was first interested in DJing, my roots are from hip-hop because I love hip-hop (still do) and I wanted to spin for my bboy crew =P Now I'm a bit of everything everywhere , I have a wide range of tastes so I'm not exclusively a hip-hop DJ (can't learn how to scratch properly on my poop Vestax Typhoon lol). There is always a place in my heart for hip-hop :)
Thanks, I will be sure to PM you when it's up!

You'll find DJF to be VERY supportive when it actually comes time to reviewing a mix. All of us invest ourselves in our work and it shows. I've found feedback to be positive and encouraging.

By all means, please do submit a mix.
-KLH
Thanks, KLH! for sure, there will be those who contribute valid opinions and advice, but there will also be the nay-sayers which I welcome with open arms lol.

Nearing the end of the semester, finals and stuff!! I wish I recorded the 2-3 hr long mix I did a few days ago I felt it had some potential, good thing I have the history from VDJ lol.

epik1
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
http://soundcloud.com/wilmmmm/april-12-blehmix
derp derp derp, as promised a few weeks ago :P Sorry, don't know how to embed.

wasn't feeling very well today, so sorry for lack in quality of....everything lol so many slips haha.
Done with VDJ7 and Vestax Typhoon that is sort of broken lol.

Flame away!

epik1
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
bump, no tips?

DJ Highline
04-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Is there any reason not to use the master tempo function on my CDJs? Seems ideal that this feature exists, so not sure why one wouldn't use it unless they wanted to purposely change the key of a song.

It really depends on what you're mixing and how you are mixing. I primarily mix Top 40, Hip Hop and Electro, for those genres, I turn on my master tempo/key lock and leave it on and forget about it. If you are mixing trance or something like that and you are mixing harmonically, then if becomes more of a big deal and something to really pay attention to. Do you want to leave it on and keep the key or are you trying to change keys etc.

Rosten
05-09-2012, 07:11 AM
I've got a few questions about harmonic mixing. To start off, i got my keys from beatport. I've got trouble applying all my songs to the camelot wheel as it mentions sharp and flat keys.

I've got no such keys in my songs i think, are they just rare or am i not getting something here? I do have a heap of #-keys though, wich as far as i know is the same as a semitone. How do i apply those keys to the wheel?

Help me spread some light upon this! It has bothered me for a while now.

Thanks!

Subprime
05-09-2012, 07:54 AM
In musical notation # means sharp, b means flat. So A# is A Sharp etc. Does that help?

Rosten
05-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Definitely! Thanks a bunch. However it raised another question about flat keys, since none of my songs seems to be flat. Where and how are they used, since they dont seem to be very common?

Buddy McKarthur
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Back to back, not a good idea. It is kind of lazy and just boring. However if there are two songs by the same artist that you want to play, play them at 2 different time in the set. But no more than two by the same artist in one set!!!

mostapha
05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Definitely! Thanks a bunch. However it raised another question about flat keys, since none of my songs seems to be flat. Where and how are they used, since they dont seem to be very common?

Ab and G# are the same thing. It's just a notation difference.

Habitually, when there are two possible names, classical musicians would prefer one name over another (like slightly prefering G# to Ab or whatever). But AFAIK the decision was always arbitrary.

With computers, there are reasons to do a lexicographic sort on notes and since b is a letter and # isn't, if you don't pick one or the other for everything, sorting them doesn't put them in order.

Maschine, for example, doesn't use flats to refer to notes…only sharps. It's easier to code the base pad selection that way.

I'm sure your key detection software made a similar decision at some point so you could sort by key and have things show up in the right order without telling the program exactly how to sort them. Plus, if you have it written to the beginning of the file name (which a lot of people do) and show them in your file browser (Windows Explorer, Finder, etc.) in alphabetical order, they'll also be in key order.

Rosten
05-10-2012, 06:26 AM
So a # can be either sharp or flat? This keeps getting more confusing!

My key detection software is me manually searching each and every track on Beatport, getting the key from there then adding it to the Key-infothingy in Traktor.

Beatport seems to have only #, how am i supposed to know wich is wich? :uhoh:

BurntToast
05-10-2012, 09:23 AM
So a # can be either sharp or flat? This keeps getting more confusing!

My key detection software is me manually searching each and every track on Beatport, getting the key from there then adding it to the Key-infothingy in Traktor.

Beatport seems to have only #, how am i supposed to know wich is wich? :uhoh:

A# and Bb are essentially the same note. The difference lies in the context and their relation to other keys. Each key is made up of 8 notes. For example, Cmin = C D Eb F G Ab Bb and C (octave). Notice that they go in order up to G and come back around to A. If you were to call that Eb a D#, you would technically be wrong. Why would you be wrong? Because you can't have a D and a D# in the same key... it doesn't make sense. BUT, you could play a "D#" on the keyboard and it would still SOUND correct, because it is an ENHARMONIC note. In the context of the key of Cmin, Eb is the correct terminology, because E is the 3rd note of the C chord, and it is flat because the characteristics that make a key "minor" are a flat 3rd, flat 6th, and flat 7th. Does this make sense?

This is much more important in music composition rather than mixing. For mixing, just trust your ears! Imagine what the mix would sound like in your head. Do the notes clash? In most cases, you don't want to mix a song in a "darker" key with a song in a "lighter" key. Do the melodies and bass lines compliment each other well? Knowing the key of the song is not as important as just knowing it sounds good or not with another song. Most songs just use a few notes from each key, therefore you are less limited in your options to blend songs in different keys. For example, if song A's outro contains just a bassline that is just a simple C note thumping away, there are a ton of keys with the note C in it that will sound perfectly fine mixed with that note. You don't have to limit yourself.

In other words, don't worry about mixing songs in key. What's more important is that the notes blend well together. Is this sort of the same thing? Yeah... but as long as the songs sound good together, then go for it. Don't follow the rules too much. If you hear it in your head and it sounds like it works, try it out on the decks.

Subprime
05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
No, look a piano. The white keys are natural notes, the black ones are sharps/flats. So you've got C, the next white key is D. The black key is either C# (one semitone up from C) or Db (one semitone down from D). But it's the same note. It gets worse, because there isn't a black key between every two white keys.

mostapha
05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
A# and Bb are essentially the same note.They're not essentially the same note…they're exactly the same note.

If you were to call that Eb a D#, you would technically be wrong.No, you wouldn't.

Why would you be wrong? Because you can't have a D and a D# in the same key...They're both in D# Major. D is the 7th scale degree of D#.

Does this make sense?No, because you're wrong.

In other words, don't worry about mixing songs in key. What's more important is that the notes blend well together. Is this sort of the same thing? Yeah... but as long as the songs sound good together, then go for it.That part is 100% right. Key is not the end of the story, not by a long shot. So, you could either get/find/write sheet music for the song and figure out the chord progression, modes, and scales………or just use your ears.

So a # can be either sharp or flat? This keeps getting more confusing! No. # means sharp. b means flat. Period.

Beatport seems to have only #, how am i supposed to know wich is wich? :uhoh:Just use them. It's easier to sort by key that way anyway. I promise you that they're just doing it so it's easier to sort them in your software.

No, look a piano. The white keys are natural notes, the black ones are sharps/flats. So you've got C, the next white key is D. The black key is either C# (one semitone up from C) or Db (one semitone down from D). But it's the same note. It gets worse, because there isn't a black key between every two white keys.

This is right.

BurntToast
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Wow, check out this know it all with the dickish attitude. If you were playing a song in C minor and you called out to your band member to play a D#, you would absolutely be wrong and it would be apparent that you don't know what you're talking about... because you're playing in C minor and there is no D# in the key of C minor. It's an Eb. And they're not the same thing, because if they were, there would be no reason to call them "enharmonic" notes. The word would serve no purpose and there would be no reason to give 2 names to 1 sound.

How about instead of being an asshole and incorrectly breaking down some sound advice, you just offer something new to the person who asked the question?

mostapha
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Because he's already confused and the notation difference is just one of habit. The pitches are identical.

Subprime
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Wow, check out this know it all with the dickish attitude. If you were playing a song in C minor and you called out to your band member to play a D#, you would absolutely be wrong and it would be apparent that you don't know what you're talking about... because you're playing in C minor and there is no D# in the key of C minor. It's an Eb. And they're not the same thing, because if they were, there would be no reason to call them "enharmonic" notes. The word would serve no purpose and there would be no reason to give 2 names to 1 sound.

How about instead of being an asshole and incorrectly breaking down some sound advice, you just offer something new to the person who asked the question?

Sorry, my last post was to Rosten. From what I remember of my music theory, you are correct BurntToast.

Mostapha, there is no D# major. What you are reading as D# major is Eb major...

BurntToast
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Because he's already confused and the notation difference is just one of habit. The pitches are identical.

Which is why I explained that they're "essentially" the same note... because they sound the same but have different names for a reason. And that's why it was explained to him that you can mix some notes and keys together despite different key names. D and D# in the same key? Lol dude. You are a 100% wrong. Try not to be so aggressive next time and you won't embarrass yourself when you don't know what you're talking about.

Rosten
05-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Muchas gracias! This cleared up some issues. :worship:

epik1
06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow, I'm glad this thread got stickied, very useful!

Anyways, I'm in a rut I think I've hit a "learner's DJ block" I just don't know really what to do anymore. I think I've outgrown my Vestax Typhoon/VDJ setup? Not sure.
This is bad because I'm expected to play something like 8 opening parties for shows from September to next April, on top of that I also got hired as a general technician for a an entertainment/production company that does weddings, corporate events, parties, etc.etc. (not sure if I should post who they are) and their goal is to eventually get me up to DJ status, they know I'm learning and I have low confidence levels in almost everything...music choice, mixing, etc.

=\ tips?..

epik1
06-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Should I just "cheap out" and get a Serato box with a cheaper mixer (DNx1600, etc.) as opposed to trying to ball hard and get a Rane 61,62/68???

Nicadraus
06-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Should I just "cheap out" and get a Serato box with a cheaper mixer (DNx1600, etc.) as opposed to trying to ball hard and get a Rane 61,62/68???

Yes! :tup:

epik1
06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
hmm in that case...what mixer should I look into?

I does the scratches and mixing. Effects are nice.
a 4 channel is nice, but I'm sure a 2-channel is more than enough for learning purposes.

LoveChobo
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
hi extremely new dj here

i just got a lowbudget 200 dollar 4channel hercules set.

I've been playing around with it. I'm really god awful, and i worry that i won't get anywhere, with the current knowledge i have.

If anyone can point to me a recommended read, or some things that can help me improve it would be much appreciated

Laddybuck
08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Hey guys,

Im not sure how to get around SoundCloud's copyright enforcement. I tried changing the pitch but I guess they're making the system more strict. I tried using MixCloud but honestly I prefer Soundcloud. Is there any way?

Thanks,
Laddybuck

Laddybuck
08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
hi extremely new dj here

i just got a lowbudget 200 dollar 4channel hercules set.

I've been playing around with it. I'm really god awful, and i worry that i won't get anywhere, with the current knowledge i have.

If anyone can point to me a recommended read, or some things that can help me improve it would be much appreciated

Well, I was god awful as well for a little while. I found YouTube tutorials were pretty good. However I think music, and art in general cannot be taught. If you keep at it you will get better, its as simple as that.

dlove
08-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Hey guys,

Im not sure how to get around SoundCloud's copyright enforcement. I tried changing the pitch but I guess they're making the system more strict. I tried using MixCloud but honestly I prefer Soundcloud. Is there any way?

Thanks,
Laddybuck

Hi, for DJ mixes, use mixcloud. :tup:

More and more labels are recognised on soundcloud's system now; it's primarily for productions anyway; mixcloud is specifically designed for DJ mixes and radio shows. Have faith in it!

Xeloc
09-01-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a problem with some of my records. 2 of my records dont have enough pressure/grip to my deck and makes the record start really slow and build up speed slowly. Also it keeps changing its pitch because of this. It's really hard to beatmatch with these records, is there something i can do to increase the grip?

kis7
09-09-2012, 08:31 AM
hello, i've just buy my first digital dj controller ( Reloop Beat Mix) i use it on my PC now. I am new in DJing and in Audio technic, so maybe my problem is simple. So when i use the controller, everything works good between the pc and the controller, but i cant use headphone and the my pc's speakers at the same time, i can configure the settings that i hear pc's speaker but then i cant use my headphone and inversely. Maybe i need a soundcard to solve this problem?I have no idea about this. my pc's integrated sound card is: 5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA VT1705 Audio Codec).

Lost Connection
09-09-2012, 08:50 AM
hello, i've just buy my first digital dj controller ( Reloop Beat Mix) i use it on my PC now. I am new in DJing and in Audio technic, so maybe my problem is simple. So when i use the controller, everything works good between the pc and the controller, but i cant use headphone and the my pc's speakers at the same time, i can configure the settings that i hear pc's speaker but then i cant use my headphone and inversely. Maybe i need a soundcard to solve this problem?I have no idea about this. my pc's integrated sound card is: 5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA VT1705 Audio Codec).

I don't see the problem if you have the controller connected like this:
Headphones plugged into the hole on the right with the headphones icon over it
http://www.reloop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/thumbnail/420x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/2/5/225067_Reloop_FR.png

Controller hooked up to your pc with the USB cable (USB spot on the far right)
http://www.reloop.com/media/catalog/product/2/2/5/225067_Reloop_BA.png

And then the controller connected to your speakers either via an RCA to 3,5mm adapter cable like this
https://www.mycablemart.com/store/images/products/1806_large.jpg

Or, if possible, to your pc soundcard input and through your pc to your speakers (Easier with the adapter though)

Then just switch on your pc and setup, run VDJ and you should have sound.

EDIT: Oh yes, the RCA to 3,5mm cable is connected to you master out on the Reloop(The red and black/white end - RCA, and then the 3,5mm to your speakers or amps input)

Mister Delirious
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Edit; Stuff has been fixed (:

Sigma
09-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a problem with some of my records. 2 of my records dont have enough pressure/grip to my deck and makes the record start really slow and build up speed slowly. Also it keeps changing its pitch because of this. It's really hard to beatmatch with these records, is there something i can do to increase the grip?
That usually happens because of the dreaded bowl-shaped warp. If the record plays fine on one side (or is even more "grippy" than normal on one side), but barely grips at all on the other, then that's gonna be the problem. Because the record is slightly bowl-shaped, when you play one side only the edge of the record touches the slipmat as it's raised up where the label is, which leads to it being more "grippy", then on the other side, only the area around the label is touching the slipmat and the outer edge is raised up away from it, which makes it barely grip at all.

If the warp isn't too bad, sometimes you can fix it (at least temporarily), by holding the edges of the record with your fingers and pushing on the centre with both thumbs. Other than that, your only option is trying other methods to fix warped records or buying new copies.

kis7
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
I don't see the problem if you have the controller connected like this:
Headphones plugged into the hole on the right with the headphones icon over it
http://www.reloop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/thumbnail/420x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/2/5/225067_Reloop_FR.png

Controller hooked up to your pc with the USB cable (USB spot on the far right)
http://www.reloop.com/media/catalog/product/2/2/5/225067_Reloop_BA.png

And then the controller connected to your speakers either via an RCA to 3,5mm adapter cable like this
https://www.mycablemart.com/store/images/products/1806_large.jpg

Or, if possible, to your pc soundcard input and through your pc to your speakers (Easier with the adapter though)

Then just switch on your pc and setup, run VDJ and you should have sound.

EDIT: Oh yes, the RCA to 3,5mm cable is connected to you master out on the Reloop(The red and black/white end - RCA, and then the 3,5mm to your speakers or amps input)

Thank you, it solved my problem:)

Lost Connection
09-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Thank you, it solved my problem:)

No problem :tup:

fueledbymusic
09-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Here's another small question. How much harddrive space does Serato or Traktor software take?

kis7
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
hi, i want to practise scratching, but i dont know how to set my jog sensitivity! please help me which is the best way to learn. (reloop beatmix)

Interracial Tea
09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
what program are you using with that reloop? it's probably a setting within the software and not on the reloop itself.

Sigma
09-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Here's another small question. How much harddrive space does Serato or Traktor software take?
Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5.1 on Windows = 472MB in the main folder in Program Files. It also creates a folder in My Documents that's currently 252MB on my system, but it will vary on size depending on how many different versions you've used and which features you have installed.

dlove
09-27-2012, 01:07 PM

I was told on this forum and it works; you need to make the hole smaller - get some sticky-tape and feed it through the hole, attaching on the label at each side.

kis7
09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
what program are you using with that reloop? it's probably a setting within the software and not on the reloop itself.

sorry my english is bad. I wanted to say how should i change my sensitivity on my reloop, which is the best for learning? very loose or very sensitive?

HarryK
09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I have this question since forever... What are all those numbers in front of the tracks bought from Beatport etc.? Also, why don't they put the artist's name in the file name?

EDIT
One more thing, are manual loops in CDJs quantized? If not, which models have and which haven't quantized looping functions?

HarryK
10-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Do noobs only read these questions? C'mon people, answer already :P

DJ Dash
10-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Hello

Can anyone help please Ive just got discover lON DISCOVERY DJ pro silver one. Ive just set it up works on virtual dj on my laptop with windows 7, I cant seem to get the decks to work though!!! The lights are on the decks can control the volume with the master volume but cant use it any other way. Any help would be much appreciated!!!! I also got the 20 days free trail and accidentally reset back to factory settings so the menu choice Ive got is limited!!

Thanks

Interracial Tea
10-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Does Guitar Center price match?

I have this question since forever... What are all those numbers in front of the tracks bought from Beatport etc.? Also, why don't they put the artist's name in the file name?

Apparently you can use the Beatport app to change the file name before you download the files. I have no idea what the numbers are.

Zafire
10-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Does Guitar Center price match?

Apparently you can use the Beatport app to change the file name before you download the files. I have no idea what the numbers are.

Is it possibly the number of the file as it is saved in beatports database? Would make sense since their could be thousands of tracks with the same name etc.

Just a guess though!

RogerP15
11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Was thinking about making a thread about this question, but, hopefully this would probably be a good place to start with it.

Do you any of you guys do any kind of "preparation to tracks" (editing, cutting dead air before track, etc) before burning onto a CD? I tried doing research on this before positing. Any info or links would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Sigma
11-09-2012, 07:27 AM
^^What is it you actually want to know about that man?

RogerP15
11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
An old buddy of mine use to cut the dead air before the track, normalize it in sound Forge or audition and add some eq effects. Do any of you do any kind of mastering to your new tracks (from BP or AJ) before actually putting them onto CD?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jalipur
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
hi.. i got a simple question that i just dont understand. no matter how much i google....

what the hell is cuts?
what the hell is chops?

im not sure if there is a different in the different music genres, but in hiphop i see these words all the time. And i just cant figure out the true meaning of them.
If anyone could explain like im a 5- year old i would be very thankful.
If u got other words related u wanna add and explain, that would be even better!

JackStalk
11-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I believe "cutting" refers to either completely dropping a track out of a mix, or cutting one of the EQualizer knobs all the way down to zero (infinity) to essentially remove that element of the track. It it most commonly used while beatmatching tracks, you cut the bass down to zero volume and fit it in with a second track's bassline for example.

I think "Chopping" may refer to cutting up a section of a track, like a bar, half bar, eigth bar, etc. You take a piece of the track and chop it up into smaller sound bytes. I may be wrong, I never really use that terminology.

2o4
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Such a simple question....yet now it's been almost an hour and I still haven't figured out:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2uh1dlj.jpg

How to remove this plastic base from the container of my brand new Shure needles! Lol....

John Veselsky
12-11-2012, 09:03 PM
If I remember correctly you have to twist it until the small metal piece on the bottom of the needle that locks on the tonearm is lined up with a passage in the plastic and then pull it out.

Its kind of like opening a Tylenol or prescription bottle.

2o4
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
If I remember correctly you have to twist it until the small metal piece on the bottom of the needle that locks on the tonearm is lined up with a passage in the plastic and then pull it out.

Its kind of like opening a Tylenol or prescription bottle.
Thank you! Took more force then I felt comfortable with using, but yay now I got my needles free!!!

John Veselsky
12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
No problem. Now jump on those decks and have some fun =).

Sigma
12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
hi.. i got a simple question that i just dont understand. no matter how much i google....

what the hell is cuts?
what the hell is chops?

im not sure if there is a different in the different music genres, but in hiphop i see these words all the time. And i just cant figure out the true meaning of them.
If anyone could explain like im a 5- year old i would be very thankful.
If u got other words related u wanna add and explain, that would be even better!
Both of those words can mean a few different things, but in hip-hop, "cuts" usually refers to scratching. So if someone says "that guy's cuts are sick" they mean he's great at scratching.

"Chops" is often used as a general word for skill/ability when it comes to musicianship. It used to be a word that was used to describe particularly skilled guitarists and sometimes players of other more traditional instruments, but now it's kind of used generally.

You might see people using these words in other contexts, but without a specific example it's hard to say what they mean. I'd say the definitions I've given are the most commonly used though.

samuelsan
12-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Both of those words can mean a few different things, but in hip-hop, "cuts" usually refers to scratching. So if someone says "that guy's cuts are sick" they mean he's great at scratching.

"Chops" is often used as a general word for skill/ability when it comes to musicianship. It used to be a word that was used to describe particularly skilled guitarists and sometimes players of other more traditional instruments, but now it's kind of used generally.

You might see people using these words in other contexts, but without a specific example it's hard to say what they mean. I'd say the definitions I've given are the most commonly used though.

Thanks for clearing that up sigma

XeniaXross
12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Quick Question: when should you use loops to transition to another song? something about using loops bothers me, and that may be because im not comfortable and familiar with them. should you use them often, or only use them when a good transition spot is too short and needs to be looped?

JackStalk
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
I usually only use loops if the track I have is a radio edit and doesn't have a DJ friendly intro. In reality, you can use them whenever you want depending on your style.

XeniaXross
12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Q: when it best to bring in a new track at the point you want? i was told by another DJ, that 4 bars or 4 beats before the is when you want to bring it in. but i feel like if you brought it in one phrase before, then the phrases will be matched up. what do you think?

Gareth
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Depends entirely on the tracks - what works well for one track won't for another.

ampnation
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Which is why I explained that they're "essentially" the same note... because they sound the same but have different names for a reason. And that's why it was explained to him that you can mix some notes and keys together despite different key names. D and D# in the same key? Lol dude. You are a 100% wrong. Try not to be so aggressive next time and you won't embarrass yourself when you don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe another way to explain it is... if you play the black key on a piano between D and E by itself with no context, you could be correct identifying that note as either D# or Eb, but in a composition/performance where the song is in C minor, then one is correct and the other is wrong. I personally don't know that is true or not, but trying to explain the concept as I'm interpreting it here.

In other words, it's semantics but important semantics in some cases.

DJmarkman181
12-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I have to agree with everyone about playing the same artist back to back. I can only recall a few times in my 29 year career playing the same artist back to back and that was Chubby Checker's "the Twist" followed be his next No. 1 "Let's Twist Again". Other than that I space out tracks from the same artist as much as I can.
I am very impressed by all the helpful comments and ideas!!

jz416
12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure your right. For example if someone said the first note of the moonlight sonata is A flat, or that it was in the key of D flat minor you could tell them they were wrong even though D flat minor and C sharp minor contain the same notes and G Sharp and A flat are the same note.

rain91
12-31-2012, 07:46 PM
kinda curious what "used new in box" means. was looking up used gear on guitar center and it says "used ********* new in box". do they the box was just never opened ?

ampnation
12-31-2012, 09:56 PM
kinda curious what "used new in box" means. was looking up used gear on guitar center and it says "used ********* new in box". do they the box was just never opened ?

GC plays all kinds of verbiage tricks. I saw a mixer on "clearance" really cheap but what they meant was, "display unit" which in this case meant missing faders knobs, scuffs, etc.

Also, I don't think they check out returned goods very well. I got a pair of used numark cdjs that powered on but one loaded my CD and refused to play or eject it. Full refund, but a hassle. Luckily, I used a burned CD for my first try so didn't care about getting it back.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

rain91
01-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Damn, knew it was too good to be true. $200 for nib hdj 2000

rain91
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
i plan on getting a new laptop in the near future, was curious if traktor is gonna give me any problems with this

ampnation
01-02-2013, 10:15 PM
i plan on getting a new laptop in the near future, was curious if traktor is gonna give me any problems with this

Not enough info. If current computer is working and new one has higher specs, what would be the concern?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

rain91
01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
sorry for the lack of info, i know ableton has registration keys and when i mixed with my buddy i think i heard him say that you can only have ableton on 1 machine. was wondering if traktor is like that.

XeniaXross
01-07-2013, 09:00 PM
As i practice mixing, i notice i usually like to bring in tracks when the song has about 2:00 minutes left, when the song starts settling down. is there anything wrong with this, or is this a big no no, and i should find other points to transition. thing is, other points may be "calm" in the song, but no for very long. at least 10 seconds max. it may just be that i need to be more skilled as it is more advanced to mix mid-song....??

LeaPerrins
01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
I have a question regarding software purchasing, I would like to find the kind of software which has a lot to offer in terms of built in instruments/plugins/sounds/samples/etc, and tools which allow me to tweak, and mix, and record, etc. I'm new to djing but I would like to get started on producing my own music, and I'm just using my laptop to start, and later I will be purchasing gear such as keyboards, amps, speakers, etc, etc. But just looking for the right software for producing my own, I have looked a couple; abelton live 8, cakewalk sonarX2 producer, reason, Fruityloops. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/12818/#Reviews-tab. Which of these would be the best? or even close to best as I want to spend some money but not a bazillion dollars or anything like that. The kind of music I would like to start producing, is probably more EDM, house, electro-house, and just basic techno stuff, beats + bass + good sound. EXamples: deadmau5, alesso, avicii, hardwell, tiesto, etc.Thanks!

Garydose
01-11-2013, 04:54 AM
I have a question regarding software purchasing, I would like to find the kind of software which has a lot to offer in terms of built in instruments/plugins/sounds/samples/etc, and tools which allow me to tweak, and mix, and record, etc. I'm new to djing but I would like to get started on producing my own music, and I'm just using my laptop to start, and later I will be purchasing gear such as keyboards, amps, speakers, etc, etc. But just looking for the right software for producing my own, I have looked a couple; abelton live 8, cakewalk sonarX2 producer, reason, Fruityloops. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/12818/#Reviews-tab. Which of these would be the best? or even close to best as I want to spend some money but not a bazillion dollars or anything like that. The kind of music I would like to start producing, is probably more EDM, house, electro-house, and just basic techno stuff, beats + bass + good sound. EXamples: deadmau5, alesso, avicii, hardwell, tiesto, etc.Thanks!

Ableton Live imho - Can be used for DJing or to make great productions. Not too hard to get your head around and has stupid amounts of plugins, compatibility etc.

Logic and reason are probably the main contenders, I use PC so Logic was out of the question. Made my choice quite easy really and i'm happy with it.

LeaPerrins
01-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Thank you! I shall look into it. Just downloaded the demo.
I suppose there are tutorials I could probably find.

LeaPerrins
02-02-2013, 12:28 AM
So, I found this on musiciansfriend.com: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ableton-edm-bundle which is basically a bundle of software geared towards my desired music production choice. I'm wondering, is it worth it to buy this or to just purchase ableton suite. The bundle includes the full version of Ableton live amongst a vast amount of extra software, and a most likely non-expensive controller. Also, are there cheaper stores online/in canada which may have some products I am looking for which is both music production software, and DJ controllers like NI Traktor.

LeaPerrins
02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
So, I am wondering I just purchased ableton live amongst a whole bunch of other edm software, what type of midi controller should I purchase for it. I understand I probably want something with at least 49 keys.

davidmartins
02-19-2013, 03:47 AM
whats a good mixer to start djing with?:)

alexreedDJ
02-19-2013, 06:04 AM
What is..... the meaning of life?

Tommy D
02-19-2013, 06:13 AM
What is..... the meaning of life?

A film by Monty Python

alexreedDJ
02-19-2013, 06:26 AM
A film by Monty Python
aha nice one

KLH
02-19-2013, 06:31 AM
what is..... The meaning of life?
42. :tup:

I may desticky this thread.

-KLH

timothymwindsor
02-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi I'm relatively new to DJing, im 17, i have 2 american audio ttd2400 turntables with shure m44-7's, a numark M1 mixer and a couple of Ayra 5 monitors. Im looking to buy Traktor scratch A6 as i want to learn to scratch, and mixing on the laptop would be a lot easier and cheaper than buying the vinyl like i have been doing. Basically i need a rough list of what order i should learn scratches in, and how to do them. I think I'm more comfortable at scratching regularly as opposed to hamster and i just really need some help getting started as i've always been interested in DJing and currently have no clue as to what im doing..... thanks

Capitan
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Hi I'm relatively new to DJing, im 17, i have 2 american audio ttd2400 turntables with shure m44-7's, a numark M1 mixer and a couple of Ayra 5 monitors. Im looking to buy Traktor scratch A6 as i want to learn to scratch, and mixing on the laptop would be a lot easier and cheaper than buying the vinyl like i have been doing. Basically i need a rough list of what order i should learn scratches in, and how to do them. I think I'm more comfortable at scratching regularly as opposed to hamster and i just really need some help getting started as i've always been interested in DJing and currently have no clue as to what im doing..... thanks

Hi Tim, try not to cross post, I've answered your other thread :tup:

timothymwindsor
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi Tim, try not to cross post, I've answered your other thread :tup:
thanks man, only just noticed... found the link really usefull :)

Capitan
02-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Sigma has also answered your thread. He wrote that guide and is the scratch master around these parts.

Take advice from him and you won't go wrong :tup:

Sigma
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Haha, thanks man but I ain't no scratch master!

timothymwindsor
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
What is the correct way to preform a crab scratch? im getting mixed messages, some people start open fader and others start closed.... is on better than the other?

timothymwindsor
03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
i find some scratching teqniques easier regualr and others easier hamster.... i find transforms and things that require clicking the fader on and off easier regular, but crabs easier hamster, and cant preform them regular... what should i do?

JensBond
03-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Is it possible with any program to have buttons on your computer keyboard like an Launchpad? Click a button = sound
Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXLL46xkdlY

grefu
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
just got in djying and been checking out what's best for me. as a beginner, i'm tempted to go for all-in-ones and have earmarked Numark's Mixdeck Quad and Pioneer's XDJ Aero. which between the two is the better one? plus, will they be able to last me in gigs? sorry if its a little newbish, but just wanna clear out my thoughts of confusion

DJ Whrr
05-03-2013, 02:10 AM
just got in djying and been checking out what's best for me. as a beginner, i'm tempted to go for all-in-ones and have earmarked Numark's Mixdeck Quad and Pioneer's XDJ Aero. which between the two is the better one? plus, will they be able to last me in gigs? sorry if its a little newbish, but just wanna clear out my thoughts of confusion

Hey man! If you have the money to spend on the Pioneer XDJ Aero, then I would go for that - hands down...

However, I would recommend you checking out the Pioneer DDJ Series DDJ-SX Digital Performance DJ Controller (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DDJ-SX-Digital-Performance-Controller/dp/B009LUFAN2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367564663&sr=8-5&keywords=pioneer+dj). This is a GREAT DJ controller. The build is beautiful, it isn't much heavier than the XDJ Aero, the effects processor is awesome, and the cue points could really add some benefits to your mixes! Oh, plus it's $12 dollars CHEAPER! ;) Lol, JK. But really, it is a great controller.

What do you think about that? I want to hear your feedback/concerns/questions! :)

Also, (Just curious) what made you interested in the Numark? Anything specific?

DJ Whrr

DJ Whrr
05-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Is it possible with any program to have buttons on your computer keyboard like an Launchpad? Click a button = sound
Like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXLL46xkdlY

Sure! You can use your keyboard to trigger points on programs like Serato, Abelton, Traktor, etc.... However, if you don't have a Mac (or a computer with something similar to the Mac keyboards), then it can be a bit delayed. For example, I am working on a Dell Vostro 1520 (someone stole my Macbook Pro :( ) and whenever I hit a cue point on Serato using the keyboard, it is always a bit delayed... So, I don't use it! Lol. I just use a midi controller instead.

If you want to use it anyways, here's a few programs to try out! Sound Plant (http://www.soundplant.org/) :) (Note: I haven't tried it out personally, but I hear it works. Let me know how it goes!

Finally, You don't have to buy a Launchpad to have that basic functionality though. I can show you some other cheaper midi controllers that will work just fine! :)

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

DJ Whrr

Chris505
05-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a few small questions about setting up my dj setup. I am looking for a good software for dj'ing. I was thinking of getting Traktor for my mixdeck. What do you guys recommend for a numark mixdeck? also, how do I hook up my laptop to play through my speakers? I know I need a few wires but unsure what I need. I already have the usb to connect the mixdeck to my laptop, but that's all I got.

DJ Whrr
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I'd use Serato to start off. That's pretty much the industry standard right now and my favorite DJ software. You can also use it with video DJing, Abelton Live, and much more; its a great program all around.

You'll need a XLR (male) to RCA (male) cable. Buy TWO of these cables: Your Cable Store 6 Foot XLR 3 Pin Male To RCA Male Cable (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-Foot-Male/dp/B0026K8X7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369104644&sr=8-2&keywords=xlr+to+rca)

Let me know if you have more questions!
DJ Whrr

KLH
05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I'd use Serato to start off. That's pretty much the industry standard right now and my favorite DJ software. You can also use it with video DJing, Abelton Live, and much more; its a great program all around.
Serato is a company, not a product. They have Scratch Live, ITCH, DJ Intro, and DJ. Of the four products, only SSL was considered a standard - and that was years ago as a DVS. Today, no software is a standard. If you can, use what you want.

You'll need a XLR (male) to RCA (male) cable. Buy TWO of these cables
Don't we need to know about the speakers first? Chris505, what kind of speakers do you have?

-KLH

DJ Whrr
05-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Whatever man. I don't get this forum.

You said use whatever you want, but how does he know what one he wants to use? That's the reason he is posting on this forum because he doesn't know what to use. Just chill man.

Yeah good point, but if he says "dj setup" I assumed it would be for mobile gigs. I shouldn't have assumed.

Chris505
05-20-2013, 11:14 PM

You'll need a XLR (male) to RCA (male) cable. Buy TWO of these cables: Your Cable Store 6 Foot XLR 3 Pin Male To RCA Male Cable (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-Foot-Male/dp/B0026K8X7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369104644&sr=8-2&keywords=xlr+to+rca)

Let me know if you have more questions!
DJ Whrr

Ok Thanks. Ill look in to those.

Serato is a company, not a product. They have Scratch Live, ITCH, DJ Intro, and DJ. Of the four products, only SSL was considered a standard - and that was years ago as a DVS. Today, no software is a standard. If you can, use what you want.

Don't we need to know about the speakers first? Chris505, what kind of speakers do you have?

-KLH

I got Peavey Triflex 2.

Chris505
05-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Whatever man. I don't get this forum.

You said use whatever you want, but how does he know what one he wants to use? That's the reason he is posting on this forum because he doesn't know what to use. Just chill man.

Yeah good point, but if he says "dj setup" I assumed it would be for mobile gigs. I shouldn't have assumed.

I will pretty much be a mobile dj once I get everything. I'm starting off slowly and work my way up

DJ Whrr
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Good stuff.

In that case, you will need the XLR (male) to RCA (male) cable - it is your best option.

Cool man! Mobile DJs can have a great time and make big $$$! It's a great way to learn the dynamics of DJing. Let me know if you need any more advice. :)

BOWNSIR
05-21-2013, 02:17 AM
I'm looking for an SL3 on ebay. Notice that the search brings up hard drives filled with music videos to be used with the scratch live video plugin. Selling videos like that can't be legal. Just need some solid confirmation on this as I get mixed results when searching. Really a question out of curiosity as I don't even mess with any type of video mixing. Is selling hard drive filled videos considered piracy?

Zafire
05-21-2013, 03:16 AM
I'm looking for an SL3 on ebay. Notice that the search brings up hard drives filled with music videos to be used with the scratch live video plugin. Selling videos like that can't be legal. Just need some solid confirmation on this as I get mixed results when searching. Really a question out of curiosity as I don't even mess with any type of video mixing. Is selling hard drive filled videos considered piracy?

More than likely. Anything copied without the rights to do so is piracy pretty much.

DJ Whrr
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes, I would be careful as well. Contact the seller and ask if he has rights to the data on the hard drives. If so - awesome; however, if he is selling a hard drive full of music videos, and isn't trying to sell it for at least $1000, I'd be suspicious!

There are some companies out there that DO in fact sell music videos like this. Check out: Promo Only (http://www.promoonly.com/) OR http://djvideosource.com/ (Note: I just did a Google search and found these guys - don't know how legit they are, so I would do some searching on some forums... However, seeing they are the top listing on Google it should be legit!)

KLH
05-21-2013, 05:10 PM
There are lots of DJ apps and DVS apps to use. I posted solely because most tend to use these apps:

DVS: SSL or Traktor Scratch Pro
DJ Apps: VirtualDJ, Traktor Pro, or ITCH/DJ Intro/DJ

Going off the beaten path, yes, you can use Ableton Live or any DAW, but I wouldn't recommend learning how to DJ via this method. So I responded - no need to get testy.

-KLH

Chris505
05-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Good stuff.

In that case, you will need the XLR (male) to RCA (male) cable - it is your best option.

Ok so I looked at these cables you mentioned but I have no idea how it would be set up. I have 2 XLR female to XLR male cables to connect my Triflex to my mixdeck. the male goes into the Triflex and the female goes into the mixdeck. Here is a picture of what I got for the triflex. I don't really see how I would connect my laptop with the ones you mentioned.

Chris505
05-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Ok so I looked at these cables you mentioned but I have no idea how it would be set up. I have 2 XLR female to XLR male cables to connect my Triflex to my mixdeck. the male goes into the Triflex and the female goes into the mixdeck. Here is a picture of what I got for the triflex. I don't really see how I would connect my laptop with the ones you mentioned.

never mind, I figured it out. I really didn't need those cables. just needed usb cable. Noobie here lol.

SkepticalPanda
06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey there.

I know to some this may sound like a rather simple question but to me it seems like I'm trying to do astrophysics and am just getting nowhere. Sorry in advance if the question is an apparent waste of time but after some Google searches nothing has managed to help me.

Basically, the other day I bought a Novation Twitch and was under the assumption that I could simply plug my 5.1 surround sound in and it would all be working. I was wrong. On the 5.1 surround sound side of things, I have three cables (1) that are all male. On the Novation Twitch, there are two output ports, female (2). The issue is that the cables are not the same.

(1): http://i.imgur.com/y6BnD5w.jpg
(2): http://i.imgur.com/ZYMWuUK.jpg

My question is whether or not there is any other way, besides buying an RCA converter (which it looks like I'll have to do anyway), to use the sound system that I have with this Novation Twitch. If it is not possible, I'd also like to ask whether or not it is possible to use my laptop as the output device for the novation Twitch.

For Reference:
The controller is a Novation Twitch.
The surround sound is a Logitech Z-5500 Digital.
The software is Itch for Novation Twitch; and
The laptop is a Dell (can specify if necessary)

Thank you in advance for any help. Any and all help is appreciated!
(In before "shittee celfone pics LOL")

Azaex
06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a few small questions about setting up my dj setup. I am looking for a good software for dj'ing. I was thinking of getting Traktor for my mixdeck. What do you guys recommend for a numark mixdeck? also, how do I hook up my laptop to play through my speakers? I know I need a few wires but unsure what I need. I already have the usb to connect the mixdeck to my laptop, but that's all I got.

I prefer Traktor or Serato ITCH/DJ.

Since you have a Mixdeck, I believe you can download Serato DJ Intro in full for free (here (http://serato.com/dj-intro/downloads)), and upgrade to Serato DJ for $130. At the basics, Serato's software is not very customizable, but is extremely solid. Their software is very, very tightly integrated with the few controllers that they support, and I personally find their layouts very easy to pick up. I'm fairly new to DJ'ing but I'm trying to pick it up from a non-controllerist perspective, "old-school", so I favor learning on Serato hehe.
As a note, DJ now has support for limited MIDI mapping. Haven't had the time to try it out though, ahah.
(when I say Serato, I mean Serato Scratch Live, Serato ITCH, Serato DJ Intro, and Serato DJ, it's just a mouthful so keep that in mind :) )

Traktor, you may download a full-feature demo from NI's website (30 minute time limit, forces you to reopen the software, here (http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-pro-2/demo-version/)). The full version is $90. Traktor allows you to control it with any MIDI controller; you can use a keyboard, a Mixdeck, CDJ's, an Arduino board you programmed, and any new controller immediately. It is a LOT more flexible than Serato and lets you create much more than song mixes, but you need to put the time and thought into the way you set it up. It also gives you the ability to destroy your music, and not always in the best light (going nutty with FX, for example). Again though, it has much more possibilities than Serato's stuff.

VirtualDJ is one that I'm not sure about. Home is free but limited to keyboard use, to use with controllers it will cost $300. However, it offers up to 6 decks of mixing, video mixing, unlimited cue points, and all the songs/videos are layered on top of each other for easy visual mixing. Plus I believe it works with DRM. Much more flexible, and I'd guess that would come in handy if you have a lot of tracks to play. I don't personally use it though.

Those are the industry standards. Other software you could look into are MIXXX, Mixvibes, Deckadance, but I don't believe any of them are as popular as the three mentioned above. As many have said already though, it's your choice.

And if you use software, the Mixdeck should still be sending out sound through its built-in outputs, so your setup should require no change. Serato DJ Intro/DJ will use it by default, Traktor and VirtualDJ may need you manually to set that up through the software.

Chris505
06-16-2013, 07:58 AM
I prefer Traktor or Serato ITCH/DJ.

Since you have a Mixdeck, I believe you can download Serato DJ Intro in full for free (here (http://serato.com/dj-intro/downloads)), and upgrade to Serato DJ for $130. At the basics, Serato's software is not very customizable, but is extremely solid. Their software is very, very tightly integrated with the few controllers that they support, and I personally find their layouts very easy to pick up. I'm fairly new to DJ'ing but I'm trying to pick it up from a non-controllerist perspective, "old-school", so I favor learning on Serato hehe.
As a note, DJ now has support for limited MIDI mapping. Haven't had the time to try it out though, ahah.
(when I say Serato, I mean Serato Scratch Live, Serato ITCH, Serato DJ Intro, and Serato DJ, it's just a mouthful so keep that in mind :) )

Traktor, you may download a full-feature demo from NI's website (30 minute time limit, forces you to reopen the software, here (http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-pro-2/demo-version/)). The full version is $90. Traktor allows you to control it with any MIDI controller; you can use a keyboard, a Mixdeck, CDJ's, an Arduino board you programmed, and any new controller immediately. It is a LOT more flexible than Serato and lets you create much more than song mixes, but you need to put the time and thought into the way you set it up. It also gives you the ability to destroy your music, and not always in the best light (going nutty with FX, for example). Again though, it has much more possibilities than Serato's stuff.

VirtualDJ is one that I'm not sure about. Home is free but limited to keyboard use, to use with controllers it will cost $300. However, it offers up to 6 decks of mixing, video mixing, unlimited cue points, and all the songs/videos are layered on top of each other for easy visual mixing. Plus I believe it works with DRM. Much more flexible, and I'd guess that would come in handy if you have a lot of tracks to play. I don't personally use it though.

Those are the industry standards. Other software you could look into are MIXXX, Mixvibes, Deckadance, but I don't believe any of them are as popular as the three mentioned above. As many have said already though, it's your choice.

And if you use software, the Mixdeck should still be sending out sound through its built-in outputs, so your setup should require no change. Serato DJ Intro/DJ will use it by default, Traktor and VirtualDJ may need you manually to set that up through the software.

Thanks man! I just got VDJ pro though. Should of looked at this before I got it, but I like it. I don't regret getting it. I will soon have a lot of tracks to play. I am versatile, and have many different kinds of genre of music. when I get a new laptop, Ill think about getting Traktor or Serato, and use VDJ as a backup or something like that. Never know when you need back up.

fueledbymusic
06-21-2013, 10:37 PM
HOW DO I DO THIS!:mad::confused::banghead::jerk::argh::furious :

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/fueledbymusic/Screenshot48_zps49a7ebf3.png (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/fueledbymusic/media/Screenshot48_zps49a7ebf3.png.html)

HOW do I make this freakin screen smaller:cry: This is something my kids are trying to use. BUT CAN'T because the screen is too freakin big! It's the screen of the "website" that I'm trying to figure out how to make smaller. Oh yeah, I have that problem with youtube too.
Any input?? Help me! Thanks in advance!
I had this situation for probably several months. And it irritating when I can't figure it out how to make it so it will fit the screen:cry:

silenceikillyou
06-21-2013, 10:45 PM
press ctrl and - buttons at the same time. reduces zoom the zoom of the page

Ali3411
06-21-2013, 10:49 PM
You can also press ctrl and the number 0 to get back to the default screen size.

fueledbymusic
06-21-2013, 10:53 PM
press ctrl and - buttons at the same time. reduces zoom the zoom of the page

You can also press ctrl and the number 0 to get back to the default screen size.
YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB! :):lol:;):D:)

That was TOO COOL!
Thanks! MANNN! I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure it out! Too COOL!
I tell ya, if I would have had a guy with a gun next to my head and demanded: You better make this screen smaller or else!
I would just tell him... Awww, just shoot me.:lol: (oh yeah, your name is silenceikillyou,... whoops :lol:)

fimpson
08-11-2013, 02:43 AM
I doubt this deserves its own thread so posting here:
Are cork slipmats any good for DJing??? They seem to be popular in audiophile circles because of how they reduce static and I also love the look of them. Just concerned that they might have too much grip??

dlove
08-25-2013, 03:09 AM
I doubt this deserves its own thread so posting here:
Are cork slipmats any good for DJing??? They seem to be popular in audiophile circles because of how they reduce static and I also love the look of them. Just concerned that they might have too much grip??

Your best bet is to try them out yourself; they're not super-expensive, and if you don't like them, you can always switch back to felt. Personally, I've never had a problem with felt, and I wouldn't buy into everything that's pushed on audiophiles...selling stuff to lovers is easy :lol:

Sigma
08-25-2013, 03:16 AM
I would imagine that cork would suck for DJ slipmats. Regular mats for hi-fi listening are designed not to slip and while I've never tried cork slipmats, if they are an "audiophile's choice" then chance are they don't slip.

For DJing, you want to be able to hold the record still and have the platter continue to spin underneath it. That's why belt drives suck balls for DJing, because they have low torque and when you hold a record still, cue or scratch, the platter can slow down giving you that slurring effect that will screw up your mixing/scratching. If you use a very "grippy" mat with decent turntables, you will get a similar effect - in fact, it might even be worse.

But as dlove said, if they're cheap, give them a go, but I suspect they will be useless for DJing with.

fimpson
08-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah I probably won't give them a go for that reason - they seem to sell for about $40+ for one which is too much for me as I'm just starting out, and I'm seeing good felt mats go for about half that price.

On the topic of grippiness - I plan to make my DJ style largely mixing, only scratching when I get bored of mixing probably, but when I'm cueing I notice that I make the platter slow down and sometimes stop. I'm pretty sure I must be too heavy-handed but it feels like I'm only putting just enough pressure to stop the record, so it could be the slip mats as well. They are the stock ones that came with the audio technica LP-120 turntable, so probably pretty cheap. Should I invest in better ones or use the crappy mats to learn the hard way and hopefully become better?

Sigma
08-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I think the torque figure for that turntable is inaccurate. In the review at DJBooth.net, Blaze says that even though it's supposed to have higher starting torque than a 1200 it clearly doesn't and that even with Butter Rugs there was more platter slowdown than you'd expect for a deck with that torque figure.

There's 3 things you can do really: -

1. Use more slippery mats like Butter Rugs.
2. Try and develop a nice light touch.
3. You can polish up the platter a little.

That8BitMan
08-29-2013, 05:38 AM
EDIT: nvm, I just realised that what I want to do isn't possible. What software do you guys recommend to play samples using a launchpad. I'm currently using Ableton but it isn't doing what I want it to do.

dlove
09-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! Yeah I probably won't give them a go for that reason - they seem to sell for about $40+ for one which is too much for me as I'm just starting out, and I'm seeing good felt mats go for about half that price.

On the topic of grippiness - I plan to make my DJ style largely mixing, only scratching when I get bored of mixing probably, but when I'm cueing I notice that I make the platter slow down and sometimes stop. I'm pretty sure I must be too heavy-handed but it feels like I'm only putting just enough pressure to stop the record, so it could be the slip mats as well. They are the stock ones that came with the audio technica LP-120 turntable, so probably pretty cheap. Should I invest in better ones or use the crappy mats to learn the hard way and hopefully become better?

you still need the slipmats to slip, for cueing up, and you should be able to stop the record with your touch while the slipmat continues to spin - I sometimes make the slipmat stop too, if I'm playing a temperamental 45

most basic mats do the business, you just have to try different ones til you find your favourite.

fimpson
09-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I think the torque figure for that turntable is inaccurate. In the review at DJBooth.net, Blaze says that even though it's supposed to have higher starting torque than a 1200 it clearly doesn't and that even with Butter Rugs there was more platter slowdown than you'd expect for a deck with that torque figure.

There's 3 things you can do really: -

1. Use more slippery mats like Butter Rugs.
2. Try and develop a nice light touch.
3. You can polish up the platter a little.

Yeah I think the torque must be a bit off as well... recently noticed it also makes a strange knocking noise when I slow the platter from the side, but it can only be heard when there's no sound, as it doesn't seem to be affecting the output thankfully. still, I feel like this motor isn't going to have a long life span :/ - this is a problem I read about before buying them though, so I can't complain.
was looking into butter rugs as they seem to be the talk of the town in the way of slipperiness

@dlove: ehh trying different ones sounds like a hassle unless I can find them for cheap. I'll try wax paper though for a quick fix, although seems like that stuff makes it too slippery for tight cueing... wish I had more time for experimentation :(

Ali3411
09-08-2013, 09:54 PM
When DJing a gig, what is the correct word/term/phrase for the smaller monitor you have facing towards you so you can hear what the crowd hears? I'm trying to search for good smaller monitor speakers like that, but I don't know how to type it in to find what I'm looking for.

This is what I want to know: Do DJs take 1 or 2 of those smaller monitors for gigs? Would KRK V4 or Rokit 5 work for that?

Shishdisma
09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
When DJing a gig, what is the correct word/term/phrase for the smaller monitor you have facing towards you so you can hear what the crowd hears? I'm trying to search for good smaller monitor speakers like that, but I don't know how to type it in to find what I'm looking for.

This is what I want to know: Do DJs take 1 or 2 of those smaller monitors for gigs? Would KRK V4 or Rokit 5 work for that?

It's usually just a smaller PA speaker, or in larger installs, large PA speakers. You could theoretically use near-field monitors like the KRKs, but it's not really ideal if you're close to the main speakers.

Ali3411
09-08-2013, 10:24 PM
So what types of speakers would be good for this application?

mmenna
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Hello guuuuys from DJFORUM!
I'm new here, and this site is just.. unbelievable!
What I've looking for.
Well well, let's start our journey.
Guys, I have two questions:
1. I need to produce my own tracks. I'm in right place? Or here is just for "disc jockeys"?

2. I search in forum, but I don't found any SOFTWARE tip. I downloaded and I'm trying to learn how mess with Fruity Loops 10.
Ableton is better? Exist others? Wich is cool for begginers?

Thanks anyway.

fueledbymusic
10-31-2013, 11:39 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/fueledbymusic/Screenshot2_zps5674996f.png (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/fueledbymusic/media/Screenshot2_zps5674996f.png.html):banghead::banghe ad:
How DO I GET RID of these ANNOYING tabs.. (circled in red) I'm tired of these tabs automatically loading up everytime I go to google. Rep for everyone who helps me here!

fueledbymusic
10-31-2013, 11:50 PM
^^^^ Nevermind

I found this youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBt1BYVKN4

alencr
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
How do I set up audio in VirtualDJ?
I bought a 1x 3.5mm male to 2x 3.5mm female stereo splitter and I hooked my subwoofer in one port and headphones in the other.
No matter how I set up audio in VirtualDJ, I can't cue with headphones.
And can't find a mono splitter anywhere either and I can't buy online because it is too cumbersome and slow.

alencr
01-16-2014, 10:41 AM
BUMP. I still haven't found a way around this.

Sigma
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't know the answer, but try starting a thread in the Digital DJing section. If you get no luck there, ask on the Virtual DJ forums.

alencr
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks, I will.

hayley198900
02-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi guys I'm new here. Loving the site.

I need some help with setting up a DJ set. I've got a Pioneer DDJ-SR and I'm trying to set it all up. I've downloaded all the software and started connecting all the cables but it's not playing any sound. I am using 2 speakers that use XLR to TRS cables, but still no sound is playing out after connecting everything. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Sigma
02-01-2014, 06:08 PM
^^You're better off starting a new thread about that man, cos not many people read this one.

hayley198900
02-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks will do

TheRabbitMonk
02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi, i'm pretty new to the forum and want to know how to upload pictures? so i can post them.

Mad_Man-204
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Hey guys another quicky ;) ......... In Canada I was about to pay for a License, But came across an artical that stated I do not need one for beginning. I want to believe it but do not wanna get into trouble lol. Help clarify? Here is the site I found this Info on: http://www.cdja.ca/site/content/feature/DJs-Dont-Need-A-License/

alazydj
02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
In Canada, the venue pays SOCAN fees to have music played. You do not need any license in Canada.

Baller95
02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Hey guys another quicky ;) ......... In Canada I was about to pay for a License, But came across an artical that stated I do not need one for beginning. I want to believe it but do not wanna get into trouble lol. Help clarify? Here is the site I found this Info on: http://www.cdja.ca/site/content/feature/DJs-Dont-Need-A-License/

In Canada, the venue pays SOCAN fees to have music played. You do not need any license in Canada.

So as long as you're not burning the tracks to a CD it's ok to play? I use a controller so I play the music that I downloaded right from my computer.

Baller95
02-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi, i'm pretty new to the forum and want to know how to upload pictures? so i can post them.

Hey, you need to use an external image hosting website like imgur, photobucket, etc then once the image is uploaded onto there, you just have do put your direct image links between img tags like so -

insert link here :tup:

Mad_Man-204
02-03-2014, 07:47 PM
So DJing a Wedding/school dance would be the same idea as well?

WhiteLotusDJ
02-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Best way to get rolling getting local gigs? Any suggestions.

I just setup my website (http://whitelotusevents.com/) and been networking a bit with club owners, but no luck yet getting steady club gigs. I am in the west coast of Canada.

TheRabbitMonk
02-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Hey, you need to use an external image hosting website like imgur, photobucket, etc then once the image is uploaded onto there, you just have do put your direct image links between img tags like so -

insert link here :tup:

cool thanks i've been told this before but totally forgot. thanks again.

Baller95
02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
cool thanks i've been told this before but totally forgot. thanks again.

No problem!

Djschiti
02-13-2014, 11:56 PM
You can play as many songs from the same artist back to back as you want, I've done it! I just take little snippets from each song and use them for a build up to the most popular song that artist has out at that time, I did it like an intro and the crowd went crazy. ( I was like ok, well that works, good! ha ha)

jgr/stp
02-16-2014, 08:44 AM
yo

I'm new to the dj world (I posted a thread in the introduction section, feel free to read (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?37141-New-seeking-advice&goto=newpost) it to see what I'm trying to do) and right now I'm trying to figure out what equipment I need so I can start saving up.

I want to use CDJs. I had the Pioneer CDJ350 in mind until I saw this: http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/4267396768.html

Would this be ideal at all? Should I just save and opt for the 350s?

Rosten
02-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Hi! I've got a problem. I need sound from a Kontrol S2 and a DDM4000 (acting as a midi controller + 2 cd-players) at the same time. How would i achieve this? Hook them both up to some kind of PA-style mixer that has my monitors connected? I could connect my Kontrol S2 to a channel on the DDM, but that'd leave me with one less cd-player or less controls for Traktor. Help appreciated, thanks!

kingkiwi44
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
I've got a nice Behringer controller I've been working with but all i have the ability to use is a dinky cheap wal-mart speaker.

Now, I've got a stereo system (circa early 90's)... receiver, cassette, phono, etc...
Shouldn't I be able to run my RCA cables into the back of the receiver, and then play it out of my speakers hooked up to the receiver?

Because the speakers hooked up are massive Pioneers in pristine shape!

Thanks again and I look forward to viewing the forums more!

Sigma
03-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Shouldn't I be able to run my RCA cables into the back of the receiver, and then play it out of my speakers hooked up to the receiver?
Yep. Just hook it up to any non-phono input and it should work.

KLH
03-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi! I've got a problem. I need sound from a Kontrol S2 and a DDM4000 (acting as a midi controller + 2 cd-players) at the same time. How would i achieve this? Hook them both up to some kind of PA-style mixer that has my monitors connected? I could connect my Kontrol S2 to a channel on the DDM, but that'd leave me with one less cd-player or less controls for Traktor. Help appreciated, thanks!
The DDM4000 is a 4-channel mixer. You can connect a mic, the S2, and two CDJs to the DDM4000 with room for other equipment (like four TTs).

Have fun.

VHEX
04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
How many time of each Track do you guys usually play in your sets?

DJ Highline
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
How many time of each Track do you guys usually play in your sets?

It really depends on alot of things. There are no set rules here. It is really about what feels right. Generally though, EDM DJs will let songs play longer than say Hip Hop or Top 40 DJs but then again, many EDM track are twice as long as Hip Hop and Top 40 tracks. Some mobile DJs will play the entire song and rely on song selection and programing to keep the crowd going. I personally try to get 2/3s or more of the song in before mixing out. But everybody is different and thats the art of DJing that will come with experience...

VHEX
04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
It really depends on alot of things. There are no set rules here. It is really about what feels right. Generally though, EDM DJs will let songs play longer than say Hip Hop or Top 40 DJs but then again, many EDM track are twice as long as Hip Hop and Top 40 tracks. Some mobile DJs will play the entire song and rely on song selection and programing to keep the crowd going. I personally try to get 2/3s or more of the song in before mixing out. But everybody is different and thats the art of DJing that will come with experience...

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks man! :)

jgr/stp
04-21-2014, 10:48 PM
delete.

Heute
08-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to post a link to a my first mix i did in the mix submissions forum for some feedback etc but won't let me post it, is there a certain amount of posts you need before this is possible? cheers.

TIMMBO
08-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Yes read sticky found in that section of the forum.

Too many spam posters just posting shit mixes as their first post.

MrCat
08-26-2014, 04:04 AM
Hi folks, I've noticed Akai and Korg seem to do a few similar devices for similar prices. I wondered if anyone had any preferences over the two makes?

DJA208
08-26-2014, 04:27 AM
Hi folks, I've noticed Akai and Korg seem to do a few similar devices for similar prices. I wondered if anyone had any preferences over the two makes?

Used Akai before and would recommend them :tup:

nconkl1
09-05-2014, 07:20 AM
The way I understand it, phrases are built up of 8-16 bars (typically). But moreover than that - if I know my music, can I just know a new phrase has started if something new is introduced? For example, intro to first verse would be a phrase, correct? Or is it ANY time a new element is added or removed? Do I have that understanding right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Highline
09-05-2014, 08:09 AM
I would say anytime something new is introduced is a good general rule of thumb but not an absolute. The best is to count beats or bars to get your phrasing right. Eventually, you will just get a feel for it. But even then you will find yourself counting every now and then.

Dj Elite
10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
I just picked up a pair of 1200's, & I was curious what is the best needle to use for scratching, & mixing? I will doing moderate scratching and a lot of mixing.

Thanks in advance.

mostapha
10-26-2014, 11:30 PM
That's a huge thread all on its own, and there have been several. Give them a search and a read.

Personally.....shure whitelabels if you have the budget, m-44gs if you want something almost as good that's a little cheaper.

lazos
11-04-2014, 03:01 AM
hello guys i want to help me because i am a nooby.i want to buy a dj controller and i want your opinion Pioneer DDJ-SB or Pioneer DDJ-WeGO?

TheRabbitMonk
11-04-2014, 07:53 AM
You should google that as you will get results with pro's and con's.
There both pioneer entry level controllers. There difference will mainly be features.

Once you know what they can or can't do, you can decide which one suits you best.

marktime
11-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, can you please give me some advices.. I'm new too all of this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQq7DCv4-TM&feature=youtu.be

DJ Rezman
01-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, can you please give me some advices.. I'm new too all of this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQq7DCv4-TM&feature=youtu.be

Not quite a question....

anyways My question is how does one post a mix on youtube without it getting taken down?
Backstory is..
I uploaded a mix on youtube which was banned in Germany because of the use of a Martin Garrix song..
I Disputed the copyright claim just to be able to send the message saying about fair usage and that i have put full tracklistings in the description.
I also blaintently said that i do not own any copyright to the songs. As the dispute was pending my mix finally went online to mobile devices (good thing)..
Long story short the producers/companies that own the rights to the Martin Garrix song gave in... but 3 other companies wasnt having it and my video is now banned in more than 100 countries..

if anyone could help it would be soooo appreciated :D :D :D

Jamie D Music
01-27-2015, 02:10 PM
How does one post a mix on youtube without it getting taken down?

I think the only foolproof way of making sure your video is safe from being taken down is to make sure there are no copyright infringements. Fair use doesn't apply to DJ mixes and I've had a mix taken down before because the copyright owner of one of the tracks had it removed. Contacting everyone and getting all the permissions in writing is time consuming and might become legally complicated with costs and other red tape which is why most people upload mixes and just keep their fingers crossed. I also include stuff like copyright notices naming artists and labels etc on my uploads but to be honest I doubt that makes any difference when it comes to an author seeing their material being used without permission and deciding whether to let it go or put the proverbial pen to paper.

noker4o
02-08-2015, 05:31 AM
Hello guys,
first of all nice to meet you. I'm not really sure if this is the right thread to post so tell me if there is a problem. I'm pretty new to dj-ing and right now i'm using 2 turntables with a mixer and an audio interface with digital vinyls to practice.
I have :
Reloop RP-2000 MK3
Numark TT 1600 MKII
Numark DM 1050
M-audio Conectiv
Torq vinyls

When I try to use this setup with the VirtualDJ software, the vinyl on the Reloop isn't playing as it should. It seems like the software isn't able to identify exactly what model the vinyl is. On the other hand the Numark with the other vinyl is working alright. Can the difference in the turntables be the reason for this? Will there be a problem if I use the Conectiv with 2 identical turntables? Or is it the Conectiv that is the problem? Will a better audio interface like NI Audio 6 do the same thing when the turntables are different? How good is it in general to play with different turntables?

Thank you in advance:))

DJ5150
03-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Its hard not to these days because everyone collaborates on everyone's tracks
www.5150entertainment.weebly.com

ryan.amigo
03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Yo . Can you teach me . How to mix a song and what kind of mixer proggy i need .

Im a Newbie

Electrsorzz
03-17-2015, 01:02 AM
Hello !
I'm new to DJING I want to know if TRAKTOR DJ cable works with DJAY 2 app on android or Virtual DJ software on my laptop

mosca
03-23-2015, 03:19 AM
Getting back to the original OP's question which I think still troubles a lot of DJs:

Like a lot of vices, it's all about moderation. I wouldn't do it often, but if it's a T-40 crowd and for some reason you're struggling but you get the floor moving with a track from Artist X, I couldn't blame you for following it up with another track from same artist so long as it leads you to similar tracks by other artists that will get you off and rolling. Another use, one which is actually pretty satisying to a lot of T-40 crowds, is if you're exiting out of the last song of a retro set by a particular artist, and segue into a set of modern dance starting with a new track by that last artist. IOW... if you finish an 80s set with a classic Madonna track, and you segue into a new Madonna track, fresh off the presses that the crowd has been waiting for, it's a nice touch--so long as you continue playing modern tracks after the new Madge track. If you go "old Madonna" then "new Madonna" then back to retro tracks... it might be disappointing.

Also on this subject... though I wasn't DJing a couple years back, there were so many Katy Perry tunes coming out so fast, each which stayed hot so long, I can't see how you could've avoided playing two of her tracks in the same hour at some point. I wouldn't have blinked at it. I wouldn't do it every hour, and I wouldn't have played more than three of her hits in a four-hour set for a T-40 crowd unless it was a struggle, but not everyone in your crowd has been there the entire night. That first KP track you played your first hour when there were only twenty people in the club won't matter when you play another KP tune an hour later for the next hundred people who walked in, and neither song will make a difference to the peeps who show up for peak hour when you drop KP's latest anthem. It's a matter of knowing your crowd and timing things appropriately.

mosca
03-23-2015, 03:45 AM
^^^^ oh, and as an addendum to my last post...

In the late 90s I had two regulars, a pair of ladies, who showed up every night right as doors opened and happened to love the group Blackbox--though BB was already a good eight years from their glory. They showed up that early because they knew I would guarantee them two of BB's hits that first hour just for their pleasure, sometimes back-to-back which I swear gave them orgasms no matter how often they'd heard the songs. They also creamed for La Bouche so I sometimes alternated multiple BB tracks for multiple LB tracks--knowing that these regulars appreciated that, brought friends with them, and actually danced to the tracks and stayed on the floor which made it more easy to get others dancing since they wouldn't be first on the floor.

Those regulars knew they wouldn't get the same treatment at pique hour, but were happy to get some special treatment the first hour. And it didn't matter that the few others there that early might've wondered why I was playing back-to-back songs from the same artist--and artists that were hardly hot at the time--because it was the first freaking hour when you get few patrons and you have a chance to make regulars happy and keep them coming back. As a DJ you might feel this is boring or not creative at all--but sometimes it's okay to put your ego in check for the greater good of the club.

DJturntables
03-25-2015, 07:50 PM
BB's hits that first hour just for their pleasure, sometimes back-to-back which I swear gave them orgasms

The technical term is eargasm :) lol funny story.

Pmartone
06-18-2015, 01:53 PM
How often do you guys play at home by your self?

kueymo
06-19-2015, 12:26 AM
How often do you guys play at home by your self?

Roughly 3 or 4 times per week after work? maybe just a 1hr spin mainly waiting for the clothes to wash and dry

Pmartone
06-19-2015, 10:51 AM
nice, I usually play when I get home from the gym and I'm still amped

William
06-19-2015, 05:53 PM
I am a beginner I wanna know a few things first do you half to learn to scratch to be a good dj cause I play 80's 90's and of course todays pop country rap and blues. One I suck at it and 2 to it is kinda hard to scratch to international harvester . and to mixing generes isn't a bad thing like I might play a couple hip hop songs like usher and lil wayne then mix it up with a little country or blues .

Jamie D Music
06-19-2015, 06:23 PM
http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/robocop-donate.jpg

I play every evening for varying amounts of time and at weekends for a few hours. I want to do other things but the calling always gets the better of me and I have to throw the headphones on and turn the volume up. It challenges me and that's what makes me keep coming back for more and I'm trying to make up for lost time.

PhenomBK
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
I was just wondering because I find myself doing it when I'm jamming at home, awesome tracks of course don't get me wrong, but part of me felt like I shouldn't be doing it.
Its not a terribly bad thing, its just people may get bored of hearing the same artist. But in a three or so hour set I don't see a problem with playing 3 or 4 of an artists tracks, especially if they are insanely popular. That's really what gets people going.

Aquila & Ferox
07-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Do you and if yes how long do you practice mixing daily?

MattzK
07-18-2016, 07:37 PM
I have question. I play on may DDJ_RB controller with rekordbox. But i have question, can i use other software with controller? Like Traktor? Because i dont like one think in rekordbox.

andymunro
07-19-2016, 02:46 AM
I have question. I play on may DDJ_RB controller with rekordbox. But i have question, can i use other software with controller? Like Traktor? Because i dont like one think in rekordbox.

I've not looked into the RB before you mentioned it, but searching around I can't see anyone has successfully mapped it to any other DJ software.

I Rekordbox is still in it's infancy though, and there seems to be updates coming out for it very quickly, so I'm sure it will improve

Out of interest, what are you not keen on in Rekordbox?

EDIT: There is someone on Reddit who mapped it to Cross DJ and will provide a map, but I wouldn't recommend that software over Rekordbox. My understanding is that Rekordbox started out from Cross DJ before Pioneer decided to take it all in house and work on a full DJ suite themselves.

MattzK
07-19-2016, 01:10 PM
In Rekordbox i dont like one thing. They dont show Keys, i can't mixing with keys. :/

Manu
07-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Train your ears little padawan ;)

MattzK
07-19-2016, 01:25 PM
I know men, but im really big beginner :D keys little bit help for start. :)

Manu
07-19-2016, 02:20 PM
I would say you're pigeon holing yourself on that one to be honest. There are lots of blends that work off key, you would actually be surprised.

MattzK
07-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Okey, But i need see keys and i wanna mixing with keys. This is what i want now :D And i asking why rekordbox dont show keys.

Manu
07-20-2016, 01:02 AM
It should show keys, are you experiencing a malfunction of some sort?

andymunro
07-20-2016, 01:47 AM
Okey, But i need see keys and i wanna mixing with keys. This is what i want now :D And i asking why rekordbox dont show keys.

You honestly don't need to see keys mate. None of us who learned how to DJ on vinyl did.

It's frustrating as hell to me, and I'm sure it is to other seasoned DJs, that newcomers see this as being one of the most important features of software and that they are reliant on it.

If you rely on it from the start, your missing out on so much learning of how to actually DJ, and limiting yourself and setting a very low bar for creativity.

ZSquared
07-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Hoping this gets stickied and helps clean up the section.
Just shoot for quick small questions!
I have one real quick one:

I think it is perfectly fine for a mix, especially if you want to create a unique mashup. As for constantly playing back to back songs from one artist in a live set, that may kind of irk your listeners.

djmiguellascasas20
07-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Hello!! I have a question, i bought a Pioneer DDJ-SB2 in wednesday, but i want to rec something for tomorrow!
One thing, i have the Serato Dj intro, can i get some help from here?! :)

DJ Crop
10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Small Question. How do I go about using just the controller/mixer with a screen AND utilizing a large library of music? (I feel like a USB stick is not enough space, I would like to use a portable hard drive instead of a laptop and use the controller screen)

WestonParish
10-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Small Question. How do I go about using just the controller/mixer with a screen AND utilizing a large library of music? (I feel like a USB stick is not enough space, I would like to use a portable hard drive instead of a laptop and use the controller screen)

Your controller has a screen? You could look into your controller's specific support/details and see if it supports external hard drives. The search or initial load time might increase, but if you had an SSD External I don't see why you couldn't do that.

GeoS
11-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I would like to ask a question. I'm using a MacBook Air and would like to record my own radio shows so as to upload them online afterwards. I've tried several DJ software programs but unfortunately none of them would allow me to record voiceovers "on the spot", that is at the time when a track is playing. Do you have any suggestions on any DJ software that could help? I was told that Sam broadcaster can do that but unfortunately despite there is a Mac version, it's quite out of date as it requires installation of MySQL on a windows-based way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

pete
11-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I would like to ask a question. I'm using a MacBook Air and would like to record my own radio shows so as to upload them online afterwards. I've tried several DJ software programs but unfortunately none of them would allow me to record voiceovers "on the spot", that is at the time when a track is playing. Do you have any suggestions on any DJ software that could help? I was told that Sam broadcaster can do that but unfortunately despite there is a Mac version, it's quite out of date as it requires installation of MySQL on a windows-based way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Please could you give a list of the equipment you are using and if you are mixing music live and really need to record voiceovers live.

GeoS
11-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Please could you give a list of the equipment you are using and if you are mixing music live and really need to record voiceovers live.

The only piece of equipment that I got is my MacBook Air. As for software, I've tried several ones including virtual DJ, DJmixer pro etc. What I would like to do is to record a show which is achievable, but what I still need is an option to record voiceovers so as to make the recording similar to a radio show.

Edit: I'm also using headphones with mic.

I hope this is clear. Let me know if there still are any blind spots.

pete
11-02-2016, 01:35 PM
The only piece of equipment that I got is my MacBook Air. As for software, I've tried several ones including virtual DJ, DJmixer pro etc. What I would like to do is to record a show which is achievable, but what I still need is an option to record voiceovers so as to make the recording similar to a radio show.

Edit: I'm also using headphones with mic.

I hope this is clear. Let me know if there still are any blind spots.
OK, so you have no soundcard for using Virtual DJ correctly, and can only mono cue in the headphones. Plus there is no master stereo output to speakers.
I don't know if many other DVS programs even have this feature.
I guess then you are using the mic on your headphones to record into Virtual DJ.

If the option is there in virtual DJ to route this mic via the internal soundcard on the Macbook Air then it will be ok I guess. But it will pick up all the background noise all the time unless you bring down the mic in the mix for the times you are not talking. Then you would need to see if there is an auto mic-ducking feature for Virtual DJ.

As you can probably see this is basing it all on assumptions and probabilities; forcing the program to do many different tasks that it is not originally set up for.

99.9% of DJs will tell you that it is going to give a terrible result and you have a laptop : you do not have DJ equipment. So trying to DJ is going to be a real work around. They will telll you to invest in proper equipment that is going to cost you hundreds of dollars.

If we assume that you have bought the Macbook Air and spent money on lots of professional DJ programs like Virtual DJ, then you have a large budget and this is not a problem. Buy a controller with a mic input and preferably auto mic-ducking. It will probably also come with superior software for acomplishing this task.

If however this is not the case and you are just playing around, first of all I would forget recording the mic live. Especially if you are not broadcasting live, as you stated. Record your mic using a free program like Audacity and use this program to arrange the mix between your mic recording and your DJ program mix. You can control the levels so it sounds as good as possible.

If you really want to record mic live whilst handling mixing without a controller - just moving a mouse on a laptop, then it is difficult from a IT technical point of view and very fiddly from a technical DJing point of view. Better to drop this idea.

GeoS
11-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I will try and see what happens. Again, thanks.

pete
11-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I will try and see what happens. Again, thanks.

You are welcome. Sorry I can't give you and instant solution for just using a laptop to do great mixes and mic work.
It's kinda like going on a car forum and asking if it is possible to win F1 in a Mini.
Possibly...kinda...technically maybe.
But in reality you need to invest in the proper material to get even a half decent result.

elazenby17
11-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Got a question about turntable and mixer setup. I currently make beats, and would like to start getting into turntablism. I've only really got the money to get one turntable and a mixer. I just plan on using vinyl now and then switch to Traktor if I decide to try DJing. This will mostly be just to learn how to scratch/cut and beat juggle once I can afford a second turntable. That said, I'm wondering what people would recommend for a beginner setup that would allow me to learn those things. I don't want to go too crazy money wise, but I don't want to get something that I'll be limited by in a short period of time.

pete
11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Got a question about turntable and mixer setup. I currently make beats, and would like to start getting into turntablism. I've only really got the money to get one turntable and a mixer. I just plan on using vinyl now and then switch to Traktor if I decide to try DJing. This will mostly be just to learn how to scratch/cut and beat juggle once I can afford a second turntable. That said, I'm wondering what people would recommend for a beginner setup that would allow me to learn those things. I don't want to go too crazy money wise, but I don't want to get something that I'll be limited by in a short period of time.
A Hanpin Super OEM turntable would be OK. They sell under a variety of brands and are super cheap second hand. Just search for it on the internet.
A Dj-Tech mixer will come with an excellent fader which is good for scratching. They come in at bargain basement prices new.

If you want to do beat juggling you need 2 turntables. If you want to learn DJ mixing on one turntable you need a DVS system that supports mixing with one turntable.

So either way you are looking at a good few hundred USD.
Unless you just want to scratch over beats, which will just require a mixer and a turntable. But that will probably get boring quite quickly and probably not give you what you are looking for.

elazenby17
11-03-2016, 01:16 PM
A Hanpin Super OEM turntable would be OK. They sell under a variety of brands and are super cheap second hand. Just search for it on the internet.
A Dj-Tech mixer will come with an excellent fader which is good for scratching. They come in at bargain basement prices new.

If you want to do beat juggling you need 2 turntables. If you want to learn DJ mixing on one turntable you need a DVS system that supports mixing with one turntable.

So either way you are looking at a good few hundred USD.
Unless you just want to scratch over beats, which will just require a mixer and a turntable. But that will probably get boring quite quickly and probably not give you what you are looking for.

I'm mostly looking to just scratch over beats for right now because I'm still progressing as a beatmaker. Just a mixer and a turntable is what I want for the moment, but I'm definitely going to get a second one when the money is right.

I've browsed around a bit. Been looking at the Audio Technica Super OEM version as far as turntables. I'd love a Pioneer PLX-1000. Put my hands on one at Turntable Lab in August and it felt superb.

Mixers wise I was looking at the DJ Tech Thud Rumble and the Mixars CUT.

I'm also not opposed to buying used at all.

DJ_Ade
11-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Hello,

First of all, I am a complete newbie. I have a setup with two Windows 10 tablets. One is running Traktor (all set and ready); the second I would like to use as OSC controller, because I don't feel comfortable using mouse and keyboard for controlling crossfader and some other things. I tried Open Stage Control, WorkCAD Designer, Surface Editor - but I have zero understanding on making them work. Please help me!

Thank you!

I've used Touch OSC on android and ipad, edited the display/controls using OSC editor on the host machine and shared with the control device. When you edit the controls, you can specify the CC/Note and Channel for MIDI control on the DJ software. I'm pretty sure alternatives work the same. You need a direct wifi link between the control and the machine with Traktor. There'll be bridge software available for that runs on an OS level.
There may be slight lag between the control and the reaction so it won't lend itself well to scratch type routines.

Here's it running over WiFi on Traktor on Win 8.

https://youtu.be/I3M_ZwP-2Tg

Jamie D Music
12-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I uploaded a mix to mixcloud a few weeks ago but I didn't realise at the time that the volume levels are messed up so I want to delete it and upload the same mix but with better volume levels so it doesn't sound distorted in places.

I'm worried that if I delete the mix and then try to upload it again I wont be able to or it will think it's already been uploaded so will fail. Will I be breaking any rules if I do this?

pete
12-22-2016, 12:40 PM
I uploaded a mix to mixcloud a few weeks ago but I didn't realise at the time that the volume levels are messed up so I want to delete it and upload the same mix but with better volume levels so it doesn't sound distorted in places.

I'm worried that if I delete the mix and then try to upload it again I wont be able to or it will think it's already been uploaded so will fail. Will I be breaking any rules if I do this?
Erm...just re-name it slightly on the new upload to test it out.
Then when confirmed OK delete the old one.

Have you been hitting the brandy-butter a bit too hard? :P

Jamie D Music
12-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Erm...just re-name it slightly on the new upload to test it out.
Then when confirmed OK delete the old one.

Have you been hitting the brandy-butter a bit too hard? :P

:lol: I should have tried that first and then asked here if it didn't work because I tried it and it worked.

yungElsd
01-30-2017, 07:40 PM
so i got a gemini scratch master and i have absolutely no knowlegde on djing and i do not yet have any turntables and i would like to know how to hook the mixer to my laptop any help would be appreciated thanks

Scorpiu5
02-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Hello!! I have a question, i bought a Pioneer DDJ-SB2 in wednesday, but i want to rec something for tomorrow!
One thing, i have the Serato Dj intro, can i get some help from here?! :)

some people use audacity, ive never been able to get it to work myself

KLH
02-14-2017, 04:05 PM
so i got a gemini scratch master and i have absolutely no knowlegde on djing and i do not yet have any turntables and i would like to know how to hook the mixer to my laptop any help would be appreciated thanks
Well... You have an analog mixer that take two different sound sources. If you connect your headphone jack to the mixer (via stereo 1/8" to two RCAs cable), you'd have one sound source. You could use a phone as another source.

KLH
02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Nope. Go for it.

edd3011
03-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, complete beginner here. I have recently bought some Numark TT1650's but they came without the headshell or stylus. Looking online the Numark groove tool seems to pop up a lot. Is this the best option? Also it says it comes without the cartridge? Is this something else I need to buy? Any help is greatly appreciated.

pete
03-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Hi guys, complete beginner here. I have recently bought some Numark TT1650's but they came without the headshell or stylus. Looking online the Numark groove tool seems to pop up a lot. Is this the best option? Also it says it comes without the cartridge? Is this something else I need to buy? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stylus is the small metal needle that touches the record. It is a replaceable part and is sold on its own (usually with a tiny bit of plastic to attach to...
The cartridge - which is the thing that converts the kinetic energy of the stylus into a small electrical current, which goes through to your hifi/mixer whatever.

So...

stylus:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Shure-N91ED-Generic-Stylus-large-view.jpg

cartridge:
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/182455306933_/Shure-V-15-type-III-working-phono-cartridge-NO.jpg

Bear in mind that these have to connect via a headshell to the tonearm of your record player.

Do not be afraid to buy a better quality DJ cartridge (they are usually sold with a stylus attached) such as a brand like Shure or Ortofon. The cartridge is not vastly expensive and lasts for decades.

edd3011
03-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Spot on, cheers for the reply Pete.

pete
03-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Spot on, cheers for the reply Pete.

just don't buy a groovetool.
OK?
Good.
:tup:

OscarSemper
11-12-2017, 02:48 AM
Hi guys

My equipment is xdj 700+djm350 + Mac book Pro.
I would like to record some sets but Iím wondering what is the best way to do this. On my mixer, I can put usb and press ďrecordĒ,(letís have a look on photo) and it looks like is the easiest way, but itís quite confusing because when Iím using ďtrimĒ the sound level of my set is changing too. I have no idea how the trim should be set to get best sound quality and level sound also. Maybe the better idea will be to record set through Mac and some software, maybe rekordbox?

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171112/748751ace26dab9ac91bd7d772618e9e.jpg

SlayForMoney
11-12-2017, 04:44 AM
but it’s quite confusing because when I’m using “trim” the sound level of my set is changing too. I have no idea how the trim should be set to get best sound quality and level sound also.

Using DJM-350's USB recording option is the best option (simplest, best audio quality). But let me ask you: how are you using the "trim" knob? It's only purpose is to match the gain level of the cued/next track with the playing one. Meaning, while the other track is playing with the line fader up/cross fader full on it's side, you're supposed to cue the next track with it's fader down, rewind forward or hotcue to the loudest part and then look at the VU meter LEDs and adjust the trim (gain) of the track so it matches the playing one (that should be the first yellow LED). Then when you beatmatch the incoming track you raise the linefader/crossfader making it the part of master signal that gets recorded onto the USB stick.

You should not adjust the trim while the affected track is playing on the master because as you noticed, that volume increase is recorded and heard by the audience when playing live.

OscarSemper
11-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Using DJM-350's USB recording option is the best option (simplest, best audio quality). But let me ask you: how are you using the "trim" knob? It's only purpose is to match the gain level of the cued/next track with the playing one. Meaning, while the other track is playing with the line fader up/cross fader full on it's side, you're supposed to cue the next track with it's fader down, rewind forward or hotcue to the loudest part and then look at the VU meter LEDs and adjust the trim (gain) of the track so it matches the playing one (that should be the first yellow LED). Then when you beatmatch the incoming track you raise the linefader/crossfader making it the part of master signal that gets recorded onto the USB stick.

You should not adjust the trim while the affected track is playing on the master because as you noticed, that volume increase is recorded and heard by the audience when playing live.

I thing I made mistake Iím afraid, because I used trim knob to set the volume level in my room if there was too loud or to quite but I can use the master knob for that, because even if Iíll turn the master knob fully to the left, the recorded track volume level does not change at all which is good.

So, should I set the trim to touch the 1, maybe 2 orange led and leave it?

SlayForMoney
11-13-2017, 05:21 AM
So, should I set the trim to touch the 1, maybe 2 orange led and leave it?

Correct.

OscarSemper
11-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Correct.

Thanks mate for your help

Which program Is the best to Convert from wav to mp3?
Iím using iTunes, is that enough?
If iTunes is fine, which quality should I use, 160kbps or 192?

South Rakkas Crew
11-28-2017, 07:40 AM
Do most mobile DJs use Virtual DJ?

Dix
11-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Virtual DJ software is popular, but whether most do, is not likely.

Personally, I use Ultra Mixer 5 Pro as a mobile DJ. For me, its better (again for me) than any other software that I have tried.... and I have tried them all at one time or another over my 16 years.

Manu
11-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Do most mobile DJs use Virtual DJ?

Simply put, no.

DJMIX
04-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Hey, i'm a highschool dj, and i was wondering if there were any good ratios to fast dance, slow dance, and songs to just listen to? i've been wingin it until now and it gets really difficult, so i'm trying to make it easier. any suggestions?.
P.S. I also live in a small town where the high school only has about 200 ppl and the dances are 3-6 hrs long, If that changes anything.

DJ Syfer
02-22-2019, 02:14 PM
I try to figure out some technics on the mixer but I really get confused on something and I hope we discuss it here.

What is the difference between the following situations:
1) Bass Fader in center position with Volume in maximum position.
2) Bass Fader in maximum position with Volume in half position.

Note that I am not questioning what happens to the rest of the sound like Mids and Highs but specific as example on the Low Frequency.

pete
02-22-2019, 02:58 PM
I try to figure out some technics on the mixer but I really get confused on something and I hope we discuss it here.

What is the difference between the following situations:
1) Bass Fader in center position with Volume in maximum position.
2) Bass Fader in maximum position with Volume in half position.

Note that I am not questioning what happens to the rest of the sound like Mids and Highs but specific as example on the Low Frequency.
I believe you may be "over thinking" this issue.
Try thinking about the sound on a frequency graph.
So the volume is the Y axis and the freaqency on the x axis.

For example purposes:
http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/Amplifiers/images/baxandale-response.jpg

Boost the volume and all the sound frequencies get boosted by the same amount.
Boost bass/treble/mid and that section gets boosted.
What you hear is the comparison between the levels of frequency.

In other words, what you hear is the only important point (as long as you are not overboosting any level over the point of distortion on of any component in your signal path).

Use EQ to control the track as you wish to suit the moment in time you are playing the track (or for the purposes of EQing to the sonic characteristics of the room you are playing). However, use EQ sparingly otherwise it does sound pretty bad. It is rare to need to boost bass frequencies - bass has a lot of energy and can overpower the other frequencies very easily,as well as having the possibility to damage equipment further down the signal path.

Nick
05-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone ;-)

I'm very new to mixing, as I'm making my first mix, and would have a quick question regarding terminology.
Let's say there's a song that's 5 minutes long, but I only like two different parts of it, for example from 1:00 to 2:00 and then from 3:30 to 4:15.
So I blend those two parts together (fading in at 1:00, crossfading 2:00 with 3:30, and then fading out at 4:15), to get a 1:45 piece.

My question is: how should I call that piece in my tracklist?
Should I just say Artist - Song (which doesn't sound accurate as the original song doesn't include that continuous 1:45 piece)
Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Edit) (where DJWhatever is obviously my DJ name)
Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Rework)?
Or should I actually call it something else?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'd like to be as accurate as possible and not murder the actual terminology in place with my noob guess ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Take care guys.

KLH
05-14-2019, 06:45 AM
Welcome to DJF, Nick.

My question is: how should I call that piece in my tracklist?
I call it the "Artist - Song (whatever the source remix is)" so that people can find that track. How it's being played is my creativity.

pete
05-14-2019, 02:44 PM
If you are editing the track and then playing your edited version then I would call it:

Should I call it Artist - Song (DJWhatever Edit) (where DJWhatever is obviously my DJ name)

Also you could edit/loop the bits together and add FX to make a longer track.
If you are adding different elements and sounds to the track then I guess it is a "remix", but there are no strict rules.

Nick
05-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the welcome and answers, I appreciate it. I think I'll use the (DJWhatever Edit) extension then where it applies, mainly to show that I didn't just play songs one after the other, but actually made some work on some songs to make the whole thing sound smoother. I hear your point KLH though, and in some other circumstances I might just use the basic title without mentioning the edit aspects ;-)

Also you could edit/loop the bits together and add FX to make a longer track.

That's a great idea, and will definitely look into this. Any particular FX you have in mind to make the second instance of the loop not sound exactly the same but still sound good?

Thanks a lot. Take care.

Joff
05-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Hi everyone,

New here and really sorry if that question has been asked before...
I just have a quick beginner question regarding recording a mix then publish it on social media platforms such as Soundcloud.

Would you say that most of the professional DJs are recording their own mixes/podcasts by:
- using their DJ setup (Tracktor, Serato, Pioneer), so playing live

or

- using a computer software to blend the tracks and avoid mistakes, such as MixMeister?

And finally as a beginner, in your opinion what would be my best options?

Thanks for your response.

farhanashraf
05-24-2019, 04:18 AM
virtual dj and serato have options of recording mixes on the s/w so i use that feature.

impolo
09-22-2019, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone,

New here and really sorry if that question has been asked before...
I just have a quick beginner question regarding recording a mix then publish it on social media platforms such as Soundcloud.

Would you say that most of the professional DJs are recording their own mixes/podcasts by:
- using their DJ setup (Tracktor, Serato, Pioneer), so playing live

or

- using a computer software to blend the tracks and avoid mistakes, such as MixMeister?

And finally as a beginner, in your opinion what would be my best options?

Thanks for your response.

Hey Joff,

I would say man, if you're going to record a mix do it on the equipment you're learning to DJ with (for example, if you have a DJM mixer either connect via USB to your computer and record, or use a device to record the "REC OUT" signal from the back of the mixer).

It will help you to get your mixes super tight, and also, what you're putting out there will be an accurate representation of what you can do as a DJ.

Just my 2c.

Have fun man ;)